Z96 HPFP Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I received the original Z96 Recall notice in the mail but nothing since. I accidentally found out that parts were sort of available. By the time I got in touch with my dealer to make an appointment I was 25th in line and understand that Chrysler is only sending one set of parts per week to each dealer. I used to be a defender of Ram trucks having owned 3 over the years. No more. This kind of remedy for an issue that has been going on for months is totally unacceptable. I do plan to sign up with the next closest dealer who in only about 4 1/2 months out. No more Rams for me and meanwhile I will continue to add a lubricity additive to my fuel tank.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I received the original Z96 Recall notice in the mail but nothing since. I accidentally found out that parts were sort of available. By the time I got in touch with my dealer to make an appointment I was 25th in line and understand that Chrysler is only sending one set of parts per week to each dealer. I used to be a defender of Ram trucks having owned 3 over the years. No more. This kind of remedy for an issue that has been going on for months is totally unacceptable. I do plan to sign up with the next closest dealer who in only about 4 1/2 months out. No more Rams for me and meanwhile I will continue to add a lubricity additive to my fuel tank.
Its called parts availability, you do know that FCA is at the mercy of the manufacture who is making the new pump, so they have to ration it out due to the limited supply of new pumps...

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Its called parts availability, you do know that FCA is at the mercy of the manufacture who is making the new pump, so they have to ration it out due to the limited supply of new pumps...
Not after this long. Parts should be available. I worked at an oem parts manufacturer and there’s no way after a few months we would be behind.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Not after this long. Parts should be available. I worked at an oem parts manufacturer and there’s no way after a few months we would be behind
FCA/Ram has to wait for Bosch to make the new pump and ship it to them from Germany just like they did for the redesigned CP-3 to replace the CP-4 on the Cummins engines, Bosch did not appear to be in any hurry to get FCA the new CP-3 HPFP so they could replace the CP-4 and I doubt they are going to be any faster for the one for the Eco diesel...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
... No more Rams for me and meanwhile I will continue to add a lubricity additive to my fuel tank.
How many times have we read that line around here? I have read it at least 4 times this week alone. Guaranteed one will find that same sentiment on every auto brand forum. As I like to say, Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

OP
OP
Bill A

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many times have we read that line around here? I have read it at least 4 times this week alone. Guaranteed one will find that same sentiment on every auto brand forum. As I like to say, Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
Enjoy your rams. You seem to be in the defender camp.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Enjoy your rams. You seem to be in the defender camp.
I would say more in the realist camp. All vehicle manufacturers are being hit in some way by global parts / supply chain issues. I don't believe it is realistic to think Ford, GM , etc don't have an issue or two with some critical part. Ford and GM used the CP4 pump and had problems with them as well. There is/was a lawsuits against GM and Ford over the issue. I suspect there are a few GM and Ford owners saying they will never buy another GM or Ford over the issue.

I have felt the pain. I had a DEF pump go out and it was on indefinite national backorder. After a month I got lucky and a new one popped up on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
It's not no more RAMs for me. It's no more diesels. Bought a gasser this time and hoping the cam and lifters last. Like the power of the diesels hate the DEF issues. Hoping for longevity with the gasser. Seems the Big 3 are all having their issues and these computers on wheels are adding to them. Good luck to you wherever you wind up with todays choices. So far and as long as I can afford it, I am keeping my 2004.5 diesel as a backup. Great truck but getting along in years. Like me.

jbboorom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
My 2022 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel suffered a sudden loss of power the other night in rural East Oregon. It behaved exactly like it ran out of fuel (still had 1/2 tank) and I was able to spot an excellent pullout and slide from the line of semis. Four hours for a tow (thanks AAA) to safe storage then next day arranged my own tow to the dealership. FCA road assist was worse than worthless as they punted me around three assist providers that had no current contacts in Southern Oregon. We had previously ran those roads in major storms so grateful that weather was mild and cell service was available. Anyone else experience the failure of the HPFP?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My 2022 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel suffered a sudden loss of power the other night in rural East Oregon. It behaved exactly like it ran out of fuel (still had 1/2 tank) and I was able to spot an excellent pullout and slide from the line of semis. Four hours for a tow (thanks AAA) to safe storage then next day arranged my own tow to the dealership. FCA road assist was worse than worthless as they punted me around three assist providers that had no current contacts in Southern Oregon. We had previously ran those roads in major storms so grateful that weather was mild and cell service was available. Anyone else experience the failure of the HPFP?
What you experienced is why I have premium AAA. Now where did you last fuel up, as in are you sure the fuel was winterized for the area you were traveling in or too? If fuel is okay then fuel filter(s), was it snowing to where snow could build up an restrict air flow to air box, also check air filter, could of gotten wet and collapsed cutting off air supply to engine? An iirc the HPFP aka CP-4 is under recall so that too is a possibility it gave up the ghost and quit working...

jbboorom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Costco fill up, great mileage. warmer winter day in the 40s sliding to the 30s. Snow all melted and roads dry. That run averaged indicated 32mpg prior to the stall. Air filter changed a month ago. Moving up to premium AAA!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Costco fill up, great mileage. warmer winter day in the 40s sliding to the 30s. Snow all melted and roads dry. That run averaged indicated 32mpg prior to the stall. Air filter changed a month ago. Moving up to premium AAA!
I learned long ago when you run Bio diesel to never take a chance an use anti gel in the tank anytime temps may get below 35, my self I do not trust any station to properly treat the fuel they are selling this includes Costco... I've learned in my life if I treat the fuel tank during the winter I know for sure the fuel in my tank will not gel until its well below zero thus its one less thing to worry about or need to check when problems arise when traveling... BTW is it running better in warmer temps?

jbboorom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
This was one of the better runs regardless of season. Previous run was single digits w ice rain so doubt gelling w a local source. Also had years of Alaska experience w gas and diesels. Just trying to get a dealership to diagnose it as well as fix the recall

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This was one of the better runs regardless of season. Previous run was single digits w ice rain so doubt gelling w a local source. Also had years of Alaska experience w gas and diesels. Just trying to get a dealership to diagnose it as well as fix the recall
Well hope you get a dealer to find out what's going on and when you get it fixed stop back and let us all know what they found out and what the fix was

jbboorom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Dealer service confirmed fuel system and are ordering all the parts. Downstream impacts so need to replace the entire fuel system, evidently back to and including the tank. Supply evidently jammed a bit so it will take a few weeks. They said it is very similar to failures with the Bosch pump recall on the HD diesels. Will update once it is back to me.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Dealer service confirmed fuel system and are ordering all the parts. Downstream impacts so need to replace the entire fuel system, evidently back to and including the tank. Supply evidently jammed a bit so it will take a few weeks. They said it is very similar to failures with the Bosch pump recall on the HD diesels. Will update once it is back to me.
So you had the CP-4 slowly sending particles into the whole fuel system from Injectors to the tank :(

jbboorom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Day 88 and still not running. Service says everything replaced but fuel pressure not high enough. Added new lift pump and are trying throttle body replacement. FCA has an arbitration case but I hear that is extremely slow. Little SUV rentals just don't replace what I once had. Painful.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I put my name in for the recall the week it came out
That was long before they were making replacements.

When they started making replacements, i had them check the LIST.
Guess what, there was NO RECORD of my name being on the list.. SAY WHAT !!

I put my name back on the list,
I checked again when we were allowed to remove our Covid Masks
Again, my name was not on the list.

I checked again last week, my name is #28 on the list, & i am hoping for a cancellation.

I know that someone has removed my name at least twice, Likely a friend of a friend got my fuel pump.

I asked the Service Writer if the replacement pump was CP 3 or 4
he had no straight answer.

No Gasoline Chrysler Engine gets the great mileage that the 3.0 Eco-diesel gets
I would buy another 3.0 if they started selling them in the NEW RAM 1500