SPACER LEVEL KIT = STAR case 2014 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those that are considering a spacer level kit as an option to level the rake in their Ram, beware, Chrysler is not covering my ball joints because of aftermarket modification.

i was provided this STAR case from Dodge today when my 7 week old , 3000 km truck popped both upper ball joints while installing my ProComp Nitro Lift level kit PN 61180K. I'm not sure if it is specific to 2014 Sport Crew Cab models or not, but the STAR case is dated 05/23/2013.

starcase_zps15c25ccd.jpg

here are the pics of my upper ball joints right after re-installation of the lower control arm. this happened to both upper joints on both sides.

photo2-2_zpse656cac6.jpg

photo3-3_zpsc59e840a.jpg

photo1-3_zpsb328b265.jpg

Chrysler refuses to fix the UC arm and ball joints because of the addition of aftermarket components and the estimate is $1100.00 to repair.

Caveat Emptor

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im sure you can get a set Upper control arms with new ball joints and bushings from Rock Auto (pretty sure UCAs are same 2009-2014??) and install them yourself for 240 bucks. Then pay 150 at Firestone for lifetime alignment. Nature of the beast, leveling kits put stress on BJs, TREs, and CV shafts. Gotta pay play bro. But don't pay 1100. Screw that.

Next time remove the aftermarket part that may have caused the damage.

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Or look into the new Zone Off-road kits.. They have UCA's and UCA replacement leveling kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or look into the new Zone Off-road kits.. They have UCA's and UCA replacement leveling kits

Genius, I didn't even know these were available. Im definitely running these along with a set of leveling Struts on my 2014. Plus when I decide lift, the UCAs can stay.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the info, I was considering changing over to the 5100 shocks, mainly because the factory shocks are no good for the heavy bumper. You could still take this to small claims court. They have to prove something caused damage to deny it, good luck proving that.

OP
OP
L

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im sure you can get a set Upper control arms with new ball joints and bushings from Rock Auto (pretty sure UCAs are same 2009-2014??) and install them yourself for 240 bucks. Then pay 150 at Firestone for lifetime alignment. Nature of the beast, leveling kits put stress on BJs, TREs, and CV shafts. Gotta pay play bro. But don't pay 1100. Screw that.

Next time remove the aftermarket part that may have caused the damage.

yeah, good point about removing the spacer, but the damage was already done. even if i took the kit out, i still had to tack weld the ball joints in to the control arm. they would not stay pressed. looked like they rounded the seat on the control arm. the dealer wants way too much money...but ill have to see what options i can come up with.

the biggest point of the thread was to inform about the tech bulletin regarding spacer kits.

thanks for the tip....im researching some options now until i can figure out what to do. i plan on escalating with Chrylser. even though these kits do add some added stress, there is no way the kit should do this to the control arms.

im not convinced that something didn't change from the 13-14 design...but I'm speculating.

Thanks for the info, I was considering changing over to the 5100 shocks, mainly because the factory shocks are no good for the heavy bumper. You could still take this to small claims court. They have to prove something caused damage to deny it, good luck proving that.

i had 5100's on my 2010 and they were great. i can't for the life of me figure out why i didn't just go with them again! lol.

live and learn. its worse with my wife chirping in my ear..."i told you not to do that"....lol

Pburg375

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Keep us up to date if you press Chrysler. I put a rough country leveling kit on my 13'. You have me seriously considering the 5100s to replace those spacers.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow, thanks for posting this I to had the Blistens 5100 on my 2011 1500 and was thinking about doing to same on my 2500.

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whats the difference in a 1.5" leveling kit or replacing factory coil with a CST 3" coil? wouldn't that be just as stressful the the Upper BJ? is anyone having problems with uppers popping out on the 7" CST kit?

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
GRZMNKY......I installed my CST 7 in 09. no problems at all, I have seen many of the ball joints or the UCA damage when a longer shock is used, the stores didnt know that and recommended they remove the stock ones and go to longer shocks, that makes it hit the coil bucket with the UCA, now they understand and tell all to use stock length shocks weather aftermarket or OEM

War Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also how would 5100's eliminate this issue??

They wouldn't. They would do the same thing. The spacer itself has nothing to do with it. It's the change in geometry and the limited ability of the ball joint to compensate the angle change of being 2" taller

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
They wouldn't. They would do the same thing. The spacer itself has nothing to do with it. It's the change in geometry and the limited ability of the ball joint to compensate the angle change of being 2" taller

That's what I thought but the other comments about the shocks made it seem to me they wouldn't do that.

tjones524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already have a hbs 2" leveling kit i want to install.

So I guess theres no point to go buy the 5100's other then maybe a better more stable ride.

This thread kind of worries me tho.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
im a little confused here....the ball joint popped out while the leveling kit was being installed? who was installing the kit?

Searay245se

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't understand.For the top ball joint to pop it would have to have upward pressure to pop it out and putting lifts and block on it will pull it down pulling it farther in the hole not push it up and out of the hole.

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
another member (black2014)here on the forum had UCA BJ problems when installing the 6"RCX lift.

He suspects problems with fitment on the 2014 trucks.

OP
OP
L

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

im not convinced they act the same. the lift from the 5100's i believe comes from compressing the spring closer to the top of the strut...

i posted that the 5100 wouldn't cause an issue with the STAR case...not whether it would cause the issue with the ball joints...that i don't know. I'm onlygoing on what my servicing dealer told me about the 5100's.

im a little confused here....the ball joint popped out while the leveling kit was being installed? who was installing the kit?

yes they popped pout during installation. when the lower control arm was being put back in.

I don't understand.For the top ball joint to pop it would have to have upward pressure to pop it out and putting lifts and block on it will pull it down pulling it farther in the hole not push it up and out of the hole.

not sure the science behind it, but the spacer mounts on top of the strut assembly. the pressure comes from below when jacking the lower control arm back in. that is when the ball joint came un seated and rounded the hole so it would not go back in.

I believe the issue is limited to 2014, and MAYBE late 2013 models (from what I've been learning from my massive research into this this week).

War Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im not convinced they act the same. the lift from the 5100's i believe comes from compressing the spring closer to the top of the strut...
It's simple geometry. It doesn't matter how the lift is achieved, only the fact that your upper ball joints are now 2" further away from the lower ball joint. This causes the upper arm to be angled down further, the increase in angle cannot be compensated for by the upper ball joint's range of deflection. The picture clearly shows the upper ball joint unseating from the arm on one side only which decreases the working angle of the ball joint. Installing 5100s would simply be a waste of money

OP
OP
L

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's simple geometry. It doesn't matter how the lift is achieved, only the fact that your upper ball joints are now 2" further away from the lower ball joint. This causes the upper arm to be angled down further, the increase in angle cannot be compensated for by the upper ball joint's range of deflection. The picture clearly shows the upper ball joint unseating from the arm on one side only which decreases the working angle of the ball joint. Installing 5100s would simply be a waste of money

oh i see...makes sense.

byt he way i didn't mean 5100;'s in addition to the pro comp kit. meant instead of the kit.

anyone have thoughts on the 6" pro comp kit? looking at part number K2084B specifically.