Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZackMac26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hey all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I wanted to share my experience with leveling strut spacers on the 1500 series trucks.

Before installing my leveling spacers, I knew that the ride would not be as good as a full leveling strut, but I never saw anybody talking about the long term wear effects of of the altered suspension geometry, aside from ball joint wear.

For the past 60k miles on my 2015 EcoDiesel, I had been running a spacer kit, with readylift upper control arms to address ball joint wear. Really had no complaints with this setup, aside from the noticeably stiffer ride.

I did start to develop a front end vibration/shimmy in the last 10,000 miles or so, but chocked it up to cupped tires due to needing an alignment. But on a 5,000 mile road trip, it became very apparent that something was wrong. Took it to the dealership while 1,800 miles away from home and they said the alignment was out, but everything else appeared to be in good order. The alignment seemed to fix the issue for about 800 miles and then the vibration got worse and worse.

As soon as I was home, I went ahead and pulled the whole front suspension apart to inspect all the components and I found the top strut mount bushing to be in really bad shape from the modified suspension geometry putting stress on the strut mounts (see images).

Got everything replaced with a Bilstein 5100 leveling strut system, tires replaced and aligned. Rides better than it ever has!

Long story short; I am sure spring spacers are fine for the live axles trucks, and for other applications, but the strut geometry is pushed well beyond its design with the longer strut that occurs with a strut spacer on these 1500 trucks. I do not recommend anybody use strut spacers to level/lift these trucks as the spacers will cause damage to your suspension, that if left unchecked can cause a tragic accident!

Hope this info helps!

Attachments

• 753DFA25-8FB8-4C84-B693-E7C72B4EAD74.jpeg
    753DFA25-8FB8-4C84-B693-E7C72B4EAD74.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 2E1E18EE-B070-4706-98FB-7A3C0E95056A.jpeg
    2E1E18EE-B070-4706-98FB-7A3C0E95056A.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 47
  • 567BCAB2-281D-4D7C-991E-C3FA155500C4.jpeg
    567BCAB2-281D-4D7C-991E-C3FA155500C4.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
While I don't like spacers myself for leveling, what do you expect with 60k miles on a spacer up against the bushings ? lol ...

Just like everything else when lifting a truck there are dangers, risks involved .... plenty of people with just spacers and they haven't had accidents or damaged suspension components ... if you just checked your setup after 60k miles then that is really all on you ... I inspect my setup every chance I get which honestly is on a weekly basis ....

It's just like oil changes, we should be doing a full inspection especially when we have lifted or dropped trucks of all the suspension ... if we don't then we ourselves are asking for trouble .... but good for you that you actually caught it and avoided a potential accident ....

OP
OP
Z

ZackMac26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Actually is is not the spacer against the bushing that caused any of this wear. The spacer causes the shock to move at an incorrect angle every time the suspension cycles. All of this wear was caused by the strut itself.

I agree that inspections should be done, and they were. Ball joints, end links, control arms, etc. These inspections showed no issues with abnormal wear.

You cannot inspect for this type of wear unless you completely remove the strut from the vehicle.

The point of this post, was not to say that those of you who are running spacers are wrong, it’s more to warn those looking to purchase a kit of the potential issues running this type of setup.