02 center console sub box build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panama_Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey new to the forums here, I have been looking at the forums for some ideas and figured I post after my project here.. So I got an 02 dodge ram 1500 recently, and it had a jump seat in between the buckets up front. The back of the jump seat doubled as a center console when folded down but that still leaves room for someone to ask to squeeze in there and I really don't want anyone sitting that close to me...LOL... I had the same thing on my old 06 f150 quad cab and just found the factory center console and replaced the jump seat. Well Dodge doesn't have a center console option on a truck with a manual shift for the 4 wheel drive so I had to get creative.. I also needed room for a speaker box for my sub woofer, so I figured I'd kill a few birds with one stone.

Crutchfield has a center console speaker box for my truck that bolts right in but I wanted some extra cup holders for some of my junk in the truck, and the pre made one costs $899! So here is what I came up with.. I was looking for a center console for a ford super duty because it is wide enough to fit in there but they were all spendy on ebay, ( like $400) so I looked for a ford excursion basically the super duty in SUV form they were cheap as people weren't looking for them. I found one on auction that the auction ended after midnight...LOL... I bid like $2 over the current bid got it for $54 plus shipping so it ended up being like $90.. Got it, gutted it out just wanted the shell. Built a sub box for a Kicker solobaric 8 I have had for many years, can't kill that thing! money well spent.. built a platform around the box to match up to the bottom and rear of the center console, used some old plastic (I am a plastic fabricator) for the radius on the front, built a little area for an inside of the center console under the lid. Hit it with some spray adhesive and carpeted what needed to be covered. I made the console a bit taller than it was stock so it matched the height of the door armrest and was comfortable.

The console I got was light gray and my trucks interior is "dark slate grey" so I decided I was going to cover the center consoles lid with the seat back off of the jump seat. Its leather on the front and vinyl on the rear, I could have used leather but vinyl is easier to stretch and cover the plastic center console lid. Looked it up on youtube, found a video of a guy redoing his whole dash in vinyl so I gave it a go, and it worked perfectly.. Oh I had to take the damn jump seat out the bolts holding it to the brackets coming from the driver and passenger seat rounded right off. So I had to take the whole front seat assembly out.. got it out with some elbow grease and sweat and cut the damn thing out with the sawzall. Cut the brackets for it out as well and ground the edges down so I wouldn't cut my hand looking for whatever under the seat.. Sprayed all of the seat brackets with some satin black just for good measure.. The body of the center console was still light grey, so I found some plastic interior paint called color bond at summit racing that came in the factory interior color. I was kind of thinking this area won't get so much handling so it shouldn't scratch. This color bond paint is friggin awesome for painting plastic! I prepped the plastic by scrubbing it down with some alcohol little lite scuff with some 1000 grit sand paper, licked it with some flame lightly on the blowtorch to bring up any oils left from mold release or folks shining it up with armor all, and wipe it down with alcohol. Sprayed it with 4 or 5 light coats. I was thinking I'd let it cure for a week, I left it out for 20 minutes or so and tried to scratch some of the paint off in an area under where the cup holder snaps on.. I couldn't scratch through the paint! I tried harder still nothing, I was scratching hard on this stuff to the point I had indented the plastic a bit and the paint was still on there...LOL.. For once a product that lives up to it's name..(color bond)..

So I spent a little under $150 bucks on it VS $899 for the pre made one without cup holders. I already had the speaker I think they are about $300 or at least thats what they were back when I got it...LOL...

Anyway here are a few pics..

the ugly bits behind the scenes..
vaca099_zps0cd6d712.jpg

vaca100_zpsc2efce29.jpg

Covered with the console..
vaca101_zps419d38a6.jpg
I left the paper clip on top light as my ceiling and pillars are light grey.. My watch rubs that area as well..
vaca102_zpsf3cab67f.jpg
carpet in the truck is black, so I used black carpet..
vaca103_zps163d3490.jpg
In the truck.. looks pretty much like it came that way..
vaca104_zpsc645db2b.jpg

vaca105_zps82570602.jpg
Been working on it a little bit here and there as parts I had ordered came in at night and on the weekends..

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
That looks awesome! Ive been doing something similar with my regular cab but i have the woofer firing down instead and made a box the fits the factory arm rest/console The direct fit boxes are outrageously priced, im about $60 into mine right now.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
P

Panama_Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks awesome! Ive been doing something similar with my regular cab but i have the woofer firing down instead and made a box the fits the factory arm rest/console The direct fit boxes are outrageously priced, im about $60 into mine right now

Thanks!

Yeah for $900 on the pre made center console speaker box I figure I'll pass, make my own and spend the extra coin on other parts I want...LOL...

I am going to do a thread on fixing the cracked front dash/speaker cover/ defrost grill area are up under the windshield next.. Those are spendy to boot for a piece of ABS plastic...LOL...

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks great! I would love to be able to do that to my 02! Can't wait to see your write up on dash!

OP
OP
P

Panama_Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got it hooked up to my amp yesterday and it sounds great.. Without the sub in there it's like a band with no drummer...

I was going to use plastic inside the console for the bin under the lid and am glad I went with carpet. The carpet buffers my junk in there from rattling around.
Can't wait to see your write up on dash!

I might be a little slow on that I blew a disc out in my back... It's a pain in the ****!

ABS plastic can be welded with abs cement or hot air plastic welds. If you take weldon 2354 ABS cement ( water thin and clear) and shave off some of the tabs on the back side of the dash panel you can put the tabs in the weldon (in a small HDPE applicator bottle, not in the can) and it will melt the ABS and make a batch of liquid plastic the same color as the dash panel. From there you can weld those cracks shut.. I'll go into more detail when I get a chance to take some pics and get it done.

The problem with ABS is is is not known for being very UV stable, so you need the color matching paint to cover it after or it will continue to degrade and become brittle. Obviously if it has gone to far you'll still have to get a new one but even then it would be good to paint it for a layer of protection from the sun beating down on it through the windshield..