Center Console USB / Media Hub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 2014 Ram 1500, and I'm trying to update the uConnect module, but I've noticed that the media hub in the center console doesn't provide power to any devices. The USB on the right will, but not the hub with the SD, AUX, and USB. I don't get any lights on it either. I pulled it out, and connected a Mini USB to the port in the back, and connected that to my computer, and I did get power to the hub, so I took it back out to the truck, and didn't plug in the standard mini usb, instead plugging in the mini usb cable that I had connected to my computer. I did connect the other cable to the hub, but I still got no response on the radio. I checked the plug under the drivers seat, and it does have power going to it. Any thoughts as to what I might be looking at here?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The power for the media USB port comes from a 12V that supplied to the hub assembly. I installed a relay to turn mine off because it was causing my wireless AndroidAuto adapter keep waking the radio up.
There a thread on the mod that describes where to find the power in the plug at the back of the center console:

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't see any relays or anything like that when I was looking at the wiring. It all looked stock from what I could see. Based on what I've seen on the forum, which hasn't been a lot, I may be looking at a replacement uConnect system, or a replacement wiring harness.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check for power going to the hub, if that there it's possibly bad wiring in that harness. There's a connection in the USB cable for the media hub fight at the bottom of the center stack, check the connection to the radio there

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I recently purchased a 2014 Ram 1500, and I'm trying to update the uConnect module, but I've noticed that the media hub in the center console doesn't provide power to any devices. The USB on the right will, but not the hub with the SD, AUX, and USB. I don't get any lights on it either. I pulled it out, and connected a Mini USB to the port in the back, and connected that to my computer, and I did get power to the hub, so I took it back out to the truck, and didn't plug in the standard mini usb, instead plugging in the mini usb cable that I had connected to my computer. I did connect the other cable to the hub, but I still got no response on the radio. I checked the plug under the drivers seat, and it does have power going to it. Any thoughts as to what I might be looking at here?
Did you check all the plugs under the driver's seat? 'd try to reseat them. On Jumpseat vehicles (not sure about center console vehicles) all of the media hub wiring connect under the driver's seat nearest the transmission hump. In addition, you can test the radio to see if it's the problem by bypassing all of the wiring and plugging strait into the back of the radio with this adapter and a USB drive.

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did check the wiring under the driver's seat. It looks like the only plug there is for power, and I did check with a volt tester to ensure that side has power. I'll need to check the cable on the media hub side to see if that one has power as well.

I will definitely snag that adapter though and check that way. I plan to tear apart the radio section tomorrow on my lunch to see if everything is connected properly at the radio end, and then I'll take a look at that adapter after that. Thanks for your help!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did check the wiring under the driver's seat. It looks like the only plug there is for power, and I did check with a volt tester to ensure that side has power. I'll need to check the cable on the media hub side to see if that one has power as well.

I will definitely snag that adapter though and check that way. I plan to tear apart the radio section tomorrow on my lunch to see if everything is connected properly at the radio end, and then I'll take a look at that adapter after that. Thanks for your help!
No problem, you will see the same gray plug on the back of the radio as the USB hub has. If you have a center jumpseat the data lines for the hub are definitely under the seat too.

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright. I've got the console, not the jumpseat, so I think the other connectors are going through the console area, from what I can see.

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem, you will see the same gray plug on the back of the radio as the USB hub has. If you have a center jumpseat the data lines for the hub are definitely under the seat too.
Thanks for the advice on this. I was able to get my center console apart and get the tester cable connected. There is a connection from the back of the stereo to a usb device, so that’s good. I was able to use that to update the software on the stereo, so that’s one problem done. I was then also able to see that the console hub had lights on it when connected. But I didn’t have a signal when testing the other connection point.

For reference, it goes from the media hub to this point and from this point to the stereo. Is it most likely an issue with the cable to the media hub at this point?

Attachments

• IMG_3396.jpeg
    IMG_3396.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 6

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the advice on this. I was able to get my center console apart and get the tester cable connected. There is a connection from the back of the stereo to a usb device, so that’s good. I was able to use that to update the software on the stereo, so that’s one problem done. I was then also able to see that the console hub had lights on it when connected. But I didn’t have a signal when testing the other connection point.

For reference, it goes from the media hub to this point and from this point to the stereo. Is it most likely an issue with the cable to the media hub at this point?
Maybe? Can you remove the hub itself and plug it into the "halfway point"? If it works it could narrow down the problem.

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did that, and it didn’t work. The lights lit up, but no data sync. So I need to see if the connection right at the stereo will work with a cable that I have. I don’t know if the hub needs both the mini usb and the other cable that comes in too, that’s the hard part.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did that, and it didn’t work. The lights lit up, but no data sync. So I need to see if the connection right at the stereo will work with a cable that I have. I don’t know if the hub needs both the mini usb and the other cable that comes in too, that’s the hard part.
If you want to know what all the wires do, this site is invaluable...

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is super helpful! Looks like that other cable is only for the AUX cable, so it doesn't do anything with the SD Card or the USB in there. I'll take a look at a couple more things today with this, and post any updates I have here. Thank you so much!

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As an update, I went and connected the mini usb adapter you'd shown me to a mini usb to usb cable and the stereo, then connected that to the media hub. Lights come on, but no connection. I connected the other cable to it for testing, since I had enough length to get there, and I had a USB connection with no issues to my phone. I verified the light does come on with the initial cable after the stereo (down to the problematic cable), but I couldn't get the "extra" connector down that far. So, I think I'm looking at the whole cable that has gone bad, but probably just the mini usb side of it. Theoretically, instead of spending upwards of $80 for the official cable, I could probably purchase an extender cable on Amazon, and connect everything that way, correct? Mini USB Female to Mini USB Male

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As an update, I went and connected the mini usb adapter you'd shown me to a mini usb to usb cable and the stereo, then connected that to the media hub. Lights come on, but no connection. I connected the other cable to it for testing, since I had enough length to get there, and I had a USB connection with no issues to my phone. I verified the light does come on with the initial cable after the stereo (down to the problematic cable), but I couldn't get the "extra" connector down that far. So, I think I'm looking at the whole cable that has gone bad, but probably just the mini usb side of it. Theoretically, instead of spending upwards of $80 for the official cable, I could probably purchase an extender cable on Amazon, and connect everything that way, correct? Mini USB Female to Mini USB Male
Maybe? Not sure. If the USB end is repairable I might have an extra connector in my junk bin from a radio where they just cut the wires if you think that might help you. If I have it I'd send it to you for free, you just pay shipping for it.

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure... I may end up trying to get this cable and making it work, and if I end up needing to get the official cable at some point, I can do that. I think it might be worth a shot for the time being... for $9 on Amazon, I think I can justify that. haha.

Thanks for the offer though! I may take you up on that.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure... I may end up trying to get this cable and making it work, and if I end up needing to get the official cable at some point, I can do that. I think it might be worth a shot for the time being... for $9 on Amazon, I think I can justify that. haha.

Thanks for the offer though! I may take you up on that.
I think it will probably work using the Amazon extension to replace a bad section. I've flashed the firmware using that little dongle adapter I've sent you. On an older 8.4, my hub wouldn't work either until I had flashed newer firmware, almost like it was missing a driver for the hub.

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to use the dongle adapter you linked me to get the firmware updated on the radio as well, so now I just need to be patient until I can order the part off Amazon. You've been more than helpful, and I greatly appreciate you!

OP
OP
A

AgeBrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As one last update on this Media Console saga. I went to my local junkyard and found a newer RAM that had both cables I thought I might need. I say both, because there was yet ANOTHER attachment point behind the center console, under the cover that has the vents. Lo and behold, the cable in that section for the mini usb was shredded. I replaced the cable, and I have a connection now! All for less than 10 bucks.

Thanks again for your help on this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357