04 5.7 hemi ram 1500 acting like misfire. Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loganfox34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Hello my name is logan. I just got a dodge ram 1500 2004. It has 120,000 miles on it. I’m a new ram owner. But I have a pretty good set of mechanic skills there’s probably not a lot I could do if I was shown or you know etc. But here’s my problem and I am sick of putting money into it if it’s the cam lobe failure orWeek valve springs I think I’ve read about or the valve seats dropping. Anyways here goes. The truck ask like it’s got a misfire. It’s not necessarily when it’s idling but more so when it’s under a load. usually when you’re taking off from a stop. it gets Worse when you’re going about 50 miles an hour, and just about to shift into overdrive. So as i’m accelerating the truck is shifting gears. each time the RPMs are around when it shifts is when it starts to happen it’ll sputter kind of shake like it’s got a bad misfire and I hear a ping that sounds like a bumper on a pinball machine. And that pinball bumper noise I hear goes in sequence with the sputtering/shaking misfiring. only thing I can imagine that’s making the sounds I’m hearing is to do with the valve train. maybe like a valve spring going bad or I’ve also heard valve seats drop in these motors. And everything I know is just what I’ve read online. An experienced hands-on with working on the vehicle itself. I replace the O2 sensors I found one bad injector and replaced. I cleaned the rest of the injectors. I didn’t know how to test the coil packs. but I switched them around. I change the plugs and wires. I also change the intake manifold gasket. Cleaned the throttlebody, airflow sensor, etc. I had put it back together it ran better but still the same symptoms that to me sounds like valve springs going bad or something of that nature. please help me because this is ******* getting expensive. lol it’s only has 120,000 miles on it to I don’t know if I mentioned that. It’s a 04 ram 1500 slt 5.7 4x4 crewcab.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you ever plugged in a scanner to see if there are any codes ? Your sick of putting money into a truck you said you just bought ? lock up on torque converter malfunction?

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Daw14 has a good question - are you getting any codes? What did the old plugs look like? Are you seeing any smoke? Any other symptoms?

OP
OP
loganfox34

loganfox34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Have you ever plugged in a scanner to see if there are any codes ? Your sick of putting money into a truck you said you just bought ? lock up on torque converter malfunction?
Yes I have. My OBD two scanner is just a basic one. I just today on my way to work started getting the code P0 300 which is random multiple misfire. This is new but I haven’t driven the truck for a couple weeks. Normally it’s an every day driver. I worded that really wrong I bought the truck about a year ago. It had 100,000 miles on it when I got it. Right away I changed oil, n filters. plugs n wires. checked fluids. Etc.. I did hear something about torque converter‘s in these. what is that? I didn’t really look into it I don’t understand? Could you shed some light on that as well. I’m really sorry about my format I hope people can understand what I’m trying to say I use talk to text most of the time and I am very bad at proofreading as I am pretty busy person.

OP
OP
loganfox34

loganfox34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
@Daw14 has a good question - are you getting any codes? What did the old plugs look like? Are you seeing any smoke? Any other symptoms
Just started getting P0 300 today. I haven’t driven it for a couple weeks. But before that no codes ever just the symptoms I was having. no smoke either. When I change the spark plugs initially it was like they were the factory one still. They all looked relatively burnt black crispy. Two of the plugs in particular. had some oil residue on them. not much, just enough to notice that they were different than the rest. Didn’t think anything of it. Skip ahead to know where I started having these misfiring issues. so I changed plugs n wires again since it’s been about a year. After doing that it ran worse. So I was thinking maybe O2 sensors. I replaced them. still having issues. Changed the intake manifold gasket thinking it was that. And since I had the fuel rail off. I just checked each one Of the injectors. and I found one of the injectors ohms was not within spec. Replaced that. I want to add that when I pushed the Schrader valve to release the fuel pressure. there was barely any there. it just barely trickled out. And it does have a problem when I fill the truck up completely full. it wants to die a few times before you get going. could this be a fuel pump issue sending not enough fuel making it do this?

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you gap the spark plugs? Since you are getting the generic P0300, you may need to pull the plugs again to see if any of them are fouled. Inspect your plug wires for any cracks, burns, etc. Make sure they aren't grounding out anywhere. Check your fuel system pressure - you can rent a tool at your local auto parts store. Your fuel pressure should be 49.2 psi +/- 2 psi. If it doesn't test correctly, I'd start by checking the fuel inlet filter which is unfortunately attached to the fuel pump in the fuel tank. There's a screen on the inlet filter and if you have dirt in your tank, the screen could be plugged.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you change the sensors with mopar brand. Using anything else may have you running in circles. Use only mopar brand sensors on your mopar .

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I'm not sure what all the difference is between a my engine 5.2 ( 318), in a 96 dodge 1500, but my tranny is out of a 97, like that when I bought it.
But as far as the issue you have/ had I went through but with the engine stalling and shaking like crap at overdrive, then weeks of dropping money In it new plugs new wires cap, I was still getting multiple misfires multiple of other codes, and then I replaced the shift solenoid, governor sensor in the tranny and it has ran like new since. Probably about 30000 miles since

broken arrow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry to jump in but a torch converter can cause a misfire ?

Bills86e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Longbed
@Daw14 has a good question - are you getting any codes? What did the old plugs look like? Are you seeing any smoke? Any other symptoms?

Symptoms of the EGR valve is carbon stickied up, just not bad enough to throw a cell code. Its probley stuck between opened and closed. I bet mileage is down too. Right?

Martins hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if the 04 had this problem but 03 valve springs have a habit of breaking and causing the symptoms you said