Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Winberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am new and have a question I have a 2003 Ram 5.7 that dropped a valve and destroyed engine. I just purchased a 2006 Ram with 5.7 rollover truck with low miles that runs great for engine and transmission. I pulled motor and transmission out of both and if I install 06 engine with the 06 harness and computer in the 03 would this work? Or would I be better off to take the intake and valve covers and change everything over to the 03 before the install. I have read through a bunch of the threads and have not found a definite answer on this, I know there are differences just curious if this would work. Thanks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't start trying to swap computers and harnesses around (they're not even the same type of computer protocol) when it isn't necessary and you will hate yourself for it lol. Take the 06 engine, drop in 03 truck (same transmission, 545RFE; if your 03 trans is good, keep it in the truck, this will save you from having to get a quick learn at the dealer, plus not needing the extra steps). You can either swap intake manifolds or block the EGR on the 06 intake (might wanna do this since you don't know what kind of crap could have gotten into the intake from the carnage), as the 03 doesn't use EGR. Swap your valve covers and coils or get the pigtail adapters and you can keep them. There will be differences on some of the plugs, use sensors designed for the 03, not the 06. You'll also need to swap your original throttle body over as it is has a different plug than the 06. As long as you are leaving the engine stock, you don't need to change the lifters nor pull the MDS solenoids (assuming the 06 is a 1500); 03 doesn't have MDS. As long as you leave the solenoids IN and unplugged (you won't have a harness from the 03 truck anyway) the default position for MDS is off until activated. Since nothing will ever activate it, the engine will act like normal always running on all eight cylinders. Do NOT pull the solenoids if you are leaving the lifters in, as the MDS specific cylinder lifters will collapse and you will have a large displacement four cylinder.

Farmer888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was the 2003 common for dropping valves? My 2003 engine was changed out by the previous owner to what looks to be a 2006 engine from the serial number. Everything seems to work fine But I don't know what he did as far as computers etc.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was the 2003 common for dropping valves? My 2003 engine was changed out by the previous owner to what looks to be a 2006 engine from the serial number. Everything seems to work fine But I don't know what he did as far as computers etc.
If overheated, yes. I have almost 160,000 on my 03.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Some 03's and early 04's would break a valve spring. If unlucky or if ignored the valve often dropped. There was no rhyme or reason when the spring would break. Could be sitting at a light or at cruise, didn't matter. Some broke at 40k, some broke at 140k. I've spun mine over 6000 rpm on the 03 springs without issue. But when I did the first cam change I changed to 6.1 exh springs and ran them without issue.