07 5.7 Defueling issue / Fuel system limitations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sredish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
07 Megacab 5.7 w/ 188k miles

Below mods added at 150k miles:
Spartan Plus cam (214/222 duration .566/.566 lift 112 lsa)
Inertia ported heads
Hemifever tuning
5.38 geared with 40" rubber

At 185k miles:
Catless dual 2.5 into single 3" exh with straight-thru muffler

Truck runs great 99% of the time. I've had this rare, couple times a year, only in the heat (100+), stumbling issue after long hard runs (think hours on the freeway at 80), even at low rpms easing into throttle. It'll stumble and sputter a little. Pulling over, turning off and letting sit for 15 min usually clears it up and off I go no issues. No codes get thrown.

After I pulled the cats and reworked the exhaust, it gave me a stumble issue at 80 degrees which is the first time ever that cool. Also, climbing a long hill at 75, i got a lean code for both banks putting me into limp mode (first time ever for code). Cleared and reset, continued my trip and throughout the next 2k miles, once I got a misfire cyl 2 and cyl 8. Cleared and didn't come back. Also noticed the whole trip, over 5k rpms or so, it would fall and flatten on power.

Seems to definitely either defuel or just not be able to provide enough in some way. it got worse after pulling cats and opening exhuast. I talked to Sean / Hemifever and he said there should not be a need to retune after pulling cats.

I have 188k on the fuel system, all original. I've been waiting to finish up this last baja season to address. I'm going to drop tank and pull pump to look at strainer and maybe replace pump and put access hole in bed.

My question is, when does the stock fuel system (pump and injectors) reach it's limits? If I was to make a fuel system change, is there an upgrade or different direction I should go, like frame mount fuel pump, secondary pump or different injectors or what? I'm honestly not sure at all where to go with it because I have no one to discuss hemi related engine work with.

I had a cam sensor go out very recently and replaced and resynced the cam/crank sensors and it's running good. I understand getting a data pull would be helpful but the stumbling is so rare (once or twice a year) that it's hard to catch. This new lean code and flattening out up top is new so I may try and grab a log on it and send it to Sean. Thought about a fuel cell and new Aero pump or something but I'm not real savvy on fuel systems. Any tips or help would be great.

Attachments

• Truck_GolfCart.jpg
    Truck_GolfCart.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 5