08 ram fuel or tipm problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MandiMarie35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So i have a 08 5.7 1500 ram and ive had it almost 2 years with so many random issues but fuses blowing, stalling while driving, battery suddenly dead all kinda of things however now my truck isnt getting over her recent temper tantrum and i don't know what else to do I can't figure out if its electrical or fuel related we were driving her all day stopped for less than 5 minutes turned her back and shell crank just fine but she's not actually starting and if i dont turn off the key shell keep trying to crank...she hasn't thrown one code nor lights and ive done the manual way to test codes and im getting codes that don't seem to relate to any p or c or any codes the one thats staying up now is hr5874 which i have no idea what that means all the fuses are good the fuel pump is kicking on and turning off when the truck is turned off, battery has been replaced a few weeks ago along with battery terminals spark plugs are fine throttle body doesn't have an issue usually when my truck has issues they work themselves out by the next time i drive it but not this time and i cant just tow it to a dealership because i live 400 miles from where i bought the car so i am trying to figure out any issues it could be before i try and send it back home to be fixed...i have an obii scanner and its not pulling up any codes either im so frustrated

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hr is hours on your vehicle. I would check and make sure you have fuel pressure at the tail.

OP
OP
MandiMarie35

MandiMarie35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How do i check that

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Turn the key on till you hear the fuel pump shut off. Turn the key off. Open the hood. On the fuel rail that goes to the injector there is a schrader valve. It looks like a cap on the tire valve stem . Unscrew the cap and you’ll see the pin. Press it down like you where letting air out of a tire. If gas shoots out with pressure the pump is working. Keep your face away from the valve when you do this.

Last edited:

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Being an 08 you should have Tip Start: A feature that allows the driver to crank and start the engine by turning the key to the start position and then releasing it (instead of holding it in the Start position of course if it doesnt start it keeps on cranking,and if you were unaware of the feature is because you were use to the truck actually starting everytime,,throws a lot of people off if they dont know they have this feature,,cool feature most of the time and I think yours has this feature being 2008 ,,,,the no start like stated check fuel pump for power an pressure in fuel rail..check fuses an relay and see if you can hear pump run when you turn key on with fuel cap off and listening ,,should run a few seconds every time you cycle the key to on position, and should have good pressure at fuel rail, and make sure there is no water in fuel as that will stop it from starting,,my fuel rail had plenty of pressure and I was using a pressure gauge to test pressure and it had a valve to relief pressure and release a small amount of fuel in process so you could remove the gauge after testing, thats when I saw the fuel was cloudy and was water in my fuel, had to drain tank and saw lots of water in fuel was reason previous owner sold it to me , changed fuel pump since I had tank off and back to running engine after that, also check the ASD relay it can shut you down,
an a clogged catalytic converter can shut you down , also a dirty throttle body or the throttle position sensor which the sensor should have made engine light come on but have seen a few that didnt,,if fuel is good then see if the plugs are firing an not fouled out,,also check all the grounds and make sure there tight and clean as besides the battery ground there should be a few grounds on fender beside battery, make sure there tight and clean

Last edited:
OP
OP
MandiMarie35

MandiMarie35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We've checked all of that I have great fuel pressure plugs are good battery is new and terminals we had to change the battery out because we came outside one morning and the interior and exterior lights were on but the truck was locked and we hadn't driven the truck all night but the battery wouldn't hold a charge so we replaced it and the terminals we replaced because the truck would lose all power to everything even the key we'd jiggle the wires and it would come back on we replaced the fuel pump last year theres less than 10k miles on it plugs are good throttle body is a little dirty but not bad enough to make it quit we literally had been driving off n on all day and the last time it just couldn't start and normally the truck will fix itself it's weird but if it wont start one day a few hours later it'll start up jist fine this time it won't theres no codes or lights being thrown all the fuses are good weve checked loose connections however the fuel pump relay we can't check unless we take the tipm apart becuase is built in the tipm and the asd I'm not sure about but the truck does have tip start I also have remote start amd it's not starting using it either like it will crank all day and the fuel pump is on in the on position but it just won't run it immediately shuts off sounds like a bad starter but weve checked that too I'm havibg it sent back to houston b.c we live in bfe in Arkansas and our dodge delarship womt service anything under a 2010 but we've been trying to rule out everything before having it sent 400 miles away and I don't understand whats wrong with her at this point

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
and the asd I'm not sure about but the truck does have tip start I also have remote start amd it's not starting using it either like it will crank all day and the fuel pump is on in the on position but it just won't run it immediately shuts off

Are you saying it starts and then dies immediately ?

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If its starting an immediately dying ,,try unplugging one fuel injector at a time an try starting ,,also do the same with the coil packs , unplug one at a time an try starting,,sometimes one fuel injector can shut all injectors down at the same time as it can short out,, or one bad coil can shut all the coils down same reason shorts out,,wouldnt rule out a security system problem like a bad key or something like that

Last edited:
OP
OP
MandiMarie35

MandiMarie35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It cranks like its gonna start and just keeps cranking but won't actually start it acts like im not getting fuel but I know that I am I haven't tried unplugging the coils though

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not getting spark. Did you try to reset the computer by unhooking the battery cables and touching them together?

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yes you need to check for spark,,might consider a Camshaft Position Sensor or cam sensor replacement ,

OP
OP
MandiMarie35

MandiMarie35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's been awhile since I posted thanks for all the help I wanted to post am update its not super encouraging because we had to give up and beg the dealership to help us and I am so grateful they are because we only have 5 payments left and we purchased it through a used car place in Texas but relocated to Arkansas it has been a month since the truck died (I called our local dodge dealership for help and they wanted me to have it towed to them so they could tow it louisana because they "aren't equipped to even diagnose a vehicle 10 years or older" the Louisiana dodge said they would replace my tipm for 1500$ with a remanded part and i don't have that kind of cash on hand when my bill would be more than what i owe on the truck itself) so with that I had 3 or 4 mechanics look at the truck because its hard pill to swallow letting your only vehicle be taken 6 hours away in another state so in a desperate attempt mechanics went through it after being turned down by like 4 because after I told them the issues they said I would be the 8 or 9th dodge in the past few years to have similar issues and they had to junk all of them but finally a friend was determined to figure it out and we just replaced the battery Feb 1st all month no issues we went to get in it and the whole truck down to the keypad was dead (the truck was locked and armed) but we manually got in and jumoed the truck off and my alarm system went crazy we got that off and he messed with the truck and we got it to crank finally but it does after trying to give it gas or let it idle the fuel is good until you try drive it and it's brand new less than 5k miles on and no issues at all they replaced the crankshaft sensor just to check and after about 2 hours he gave up they can only conclude that there's a wiring issue because there's no explanation to be found...that was Thursday last week after jumping a brand new battery the truck had power again and Sunday they picked the truck up and its completely dead again..so the truck is now sitting at the dealership in houston and I'm waiting to see what they say it's so sad because I love my truck...thank you all for your help I'll update when I get an answer [emoji24]

HemiTO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is sad MandiMarie35, especially that Chrysler would have us believe that it is not a defective part that basically shuts down a vehicle and renders it inoperable. I've appealed several times to FCA customer service (that name itself is an oxymoron) with no luck. My 2010 Ram 1500 is basically in the same predicament as yours. I'm facing a repair bill in the $2000+ range. Hopefully yours is not worse.