12 ram 3500 6.7 no power egr and low boost codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alanjg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Hey,

I have a 2012 ram 3500 6.7 68rfe 4.10 290k miles that I use for car hauling

Symptoms: Since it started throwing codes I dont feel like shes at 100%. its mostly 75%, for example now it goes into 4th gear instead of 5th when towing uphill. Its running hotter than usual. SOMETIMES there is not power at all, like 0%, pedal to the floor, flat highway, no boost at all.
Sometimes its 50%, like some boost good enough to keep working and running hot 220F. And then there's time where it feels like nothing is wrong at all.

it has had codes for low boost, egr valve a control position exceeded learning limit, exhaust service required, 80% filter, 90% filter. Check engine and codes comes and goes. The only one that keeps popping up is egr.

Things i've done trying to find/fix the problem:
Replaced pre throttle MAF sensor, at first I only had low boost code.

I check for any obstruction pre turbo and cleaned the EGR valve with mopar egr cleaner and a brush. Mechanical part of the EGR was dirty obviosly but not stuck open. And took out a foam/filter that was between the airfilter and turbo (took it out because it was squished in and it looked like it was creating obstruction).

Disconnected the EGR plug to see if problem continued and it did.

I have not done a boost leak test because the problem is so inconsistent, if it was boost leak or clogged DPF the problem would be present all the time.

ANYWAYS, before I go crazy buying parts I wanted to check in with you guys... as I'm about to order a $750 egr valve but i also suspect it could be the turbo actuator... but again problem is too inconsistent to tell

I dont want to delete anything because its a commercial vehicle and I dont want to risk getting a fine.

thx

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey,

I have a 2012 ram 3500 6.7 68rfe 4.10 290k miles that I use for car hauling

Symptoms: Since it started throwing codes I dont feel like shes at 100%. its mostly 75%, for example now it goes into 4th gear instead of 5th when towing uphill. Its running hotter than usual. SOMETIMES there is not power at all, like 0%, pedal to the floor, flat highway, no boost at all.
Sometimes its 50%, like some boost good enough to keep working and running hot 220F. And then there's time where it feels like nothing is wrong at all.

it has had codes for low boost, egr valve a control position exceeded learning limit, exhaust service required, 80% filter, 90% filter. Check engine and codes comes and goes. The only one that keeps popping up is egr.

Things i've done trying to find/fix the problem:
Replaced pre throttle MAF sensor, at first I only had low boost code.

I check for any obstruction pre turbo and cleaned the EGR valve with mopar egr cleaner and a brush. Mechanical part of the EGR was dirty obviosly but not stuck open. And took out a foam/filter that was between the airfilter and turbo (took it out because it was squished in and it looked like it was creating obstruction).

Disconnected the EGR plug to see if problem continued and it did.

I have not done a boost leak test because the problem is so inconsistent, if it was boost leak or clogged DPF the problem would be present all the time.

ANYWAYS, before I go crazy buying parts I wanted to check in with you guys... as I'm about to order a $750 egr valve but i also suspect it could be the turbo actuator... but again problem is too inconsistent to tell

I dont want to delete anything because its a commercial vehicle and I dont want to risk getting a fine.

thx
That sounds like your actuator is starting to go out. Mine did that threw a code for DPF issues. But if the turbo isn't working properly the engine won't get a high enough temp to clean the DPF canister. That is what happened to me. I just replaced the turbo when I did it and haven't had any problems since.