1500 guys - What tires are you running for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 275/70/18 Toyo AT’s with 1.5 leveling kit. I get 11.5-12mpg around town it was 13mpg stock.
Highway I get 17mpg was 18mph that’s at 70mph+

I pull a 7500# trailer without issue.
Tire psi is 41psi. They wear a bit more in the middle do to the fact the tires are overkill while empty. But it is piece of mind towing.

Something is definitely wrong with your setup.

I get better mpg towing than you do empty and I rarely get passed.

OP
OP
M

Move Over

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 275/70/18 Toyo AT’s with 1.5 leveling kit. I get 11.5-12mpg around town it was 13mpg stock.
Highway I get 17mpg was 18mph that’s at 70mph+

I pull a 7500# trailer without issue.
Tire psi is 41psi. They wear a bit more in the middle do to the fact the tires are overkill while empty. But it is piece of mind towing.

Something is definitely wrong with your setup.

I get better mpg towing than you do empty and I rarely get passed.

Sounds like we have very similar setups, i there my stock wheels and tires (Sport discoverer HTS tires) back on for a tank and got 14/19.

Put the grabbers and back on and boom, back down to 10.9/14.1, NOT towing. So at least i know it’s the tires. Looking at a 4-5 mpg drop from tires. Again, wasn’t expecting the same mileage, but maybe i need to go with a different tread.

Maybe it’s the gripping of the tires, i can hear them from a start and under braking. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My tires are 275-55-20 . 50 psi and XL rated. Dont think I will have an issue, oh Falken Wildpeaks AT3W

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
285 70 17's BFG AT KO2's. E 10 ply. Heavy and your mileage will notice.

Tow 5400 lbs travel trailer. Never towed with stock 20 SRAs didn't need to. I chose AT style tires as road noise << stuck in snow bank. No experience running C's but I'd imagine they are hard to find in tread patterns you like. While not apples to apples, Load C and some P's don't differ in load capacity much. We are way over axles WR if you exceed load E ratings.

The proper tire pressure is best found with a chalk test. Its lower than you think and accounts for the stiff sidewall that doesn't flex and rides like crap. Long as they are wearing even your doing it right.

as a friend on another forum says, "I didn't do it for the gas mileage."

I also subscribe to the rim size = tire diameter /2 mantra which is uncommon these days.