1500 - Pictures of your brake controller options on 8.4 screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DmanInDFW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed on my own the trailer brake controller and took it to my somewhat local dealer to have them program the trailer brake controller into the 8.4 head unit. When I picked the truck up I didn't realize until I got home that they must have done it incorrectly as there were no options on the headunit for the TBC. I should have the settings visible on the screen, correct? Can someone post some images of theirs please?

I did call the dealer and made the 20 mile drive the following day. They kept claiming no options or settings would show on either the head unit or the instrument cluster which didn't sound correct. Dealer claims all is good. I even went to the parts department and had them print the instructions which I then gave to service. Both the advisor and the "shop foreman" said they did everything correct and that I was good to go. I still do not believe them but hoping that someone that does have the TBC on theirs can at least show me that I'm not crazy and I should have the settings and options available on screen.

BTW, I paid them $148 to program it so right now I'm not very happy with them.

JohnZig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue, the kit I purchased included the programming with the OBD Genie. The install went just fine but was disappointed to see only the trailer brakes displayed on the instrument cluster with the "light electric setting" only. I tried a couple of their fixes but none made any difference. I can not find any option to add specific trailers either.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue, the kit I purchased included the programming with the OBD Genie. The install went just fine but was disappointed to see only the trailer brakes displayed on the instrument cluster with the "light electric setting" only. I tried a couple of their fixes but none made any difference. I can not find any option to add specific trailers either.
You should have all these options with either the RA2, RA3 or RA4 radio. I have seen instances with the Genie in the past where the settings didn't appear with this and other codes. The problem with the Genie is it's very limited as to what it can do and you cant verify the codes are set. . The Alfa tool is not expensive and all of the settings are in the Alfa tool under the CSM menus to turn on. If you have the Alfa tool you can use it to check and see if your codes are actually set and if they aren't you can correct it. 3d7be128535b5510db0b737886dba97e.jpg2f96c831b4e5052a0bf237db62c6ae1f.jpg7013a3517eced11a650cf44c98696365.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed on my own the trailer brake controller and took it to my somewhat local dealer to have them program the trailer brake controller into the 8.4 head unit. When I picked the truck up I didn't realize until I got home that they must have done it incorrectly as there were no options on the headunit for the TBC. I should have the settings visible on the screen, correct? Can someone post some images of theirs please?

I did call the dealer and made the 20 mile drive the following day. They kept claiming no options or settings would show on either the head unit or the instrument cluster which didn't sound correct. Dealer claims all is good. I even went to the parts department and had them print the instructions which I then gave to service. Both the advisor and the "shop foreman" said they did everything correct and that I was good to go. I still do not believe them but hoping that someone that does have the TBC on theirs can at least show me that I'm not crazy and I should have the settings and options available on screen.

BTW, I paid them $148 to program it so right now I'm not very happy with them.
The dealer can only activate the basic code for the options and can't always see individual settings in the BCM in many cases. The Alfa tool can see every setting in your BCM separately and enable them one by one. I would reccomend using it if the dealer cannot figure it out. It's always amazing to me how they will say something is normal if they can't fugure it out hoping you will just accept it and give up. There are four separate codes in total. The one that actually turns on the brake controller and three more in the CSM (Customer Settings Menu) section. The ones in the CSM section are the codes that make the selections appear on your screen. This is a list of the codes that need to be enabled plus a pic of the actual Alfa tool showing them in the available CSM settings. I also posted pics of what the screens should look like. 1a6eebf7ef52318be8b0248d55ae1c75.jpg

9f4aff97672b51553f1a8a463650ffc7.jpga40490da11672962e4d9782a451ab333.jpg

Last edited:

JohnZig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should have all these options with either the RA2, RA3 or RA4 radio. I have seen instances with the Genie in the past where the settings didn't appear with this and other codes. The problem with the Genie is it's very limited as to what it can do and you cant verify the codes are set. . The Alfa tool is not expensive and all of the settings are in the Alfa tool under the CSM menus to turn on. If you have the Alfa tool you can use it to check and see if your codes are actually set and if they aren't you can correct it. 3d7be128535b5510db0b737886dba97e.jpg2f96c831b4e5052a0bf237db62c6ae1f.jpg7013a3517eced11a650cf44c98696365.jpg

JohnZig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for sharing Rick, I will give that a try. Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
DmanInDFW

DmanInDFW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot guys. This just confirms that I got charge $148 for nothing. NONE of those options show up at all. Doesn't even say anything about trailer brakes in Settings or anywhere else. So frustrating to pay that kind of money to have them doing nothing and claim it is good. Follow up calls got ignored. Time to take it in there and *****.

Jsne0244

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot guys. This just confirms that I got charge $148 for nothing. NONE of those options show up at all. Doesn't even say anything about trailer brakes in Settings or anywhere else. So frustrating to pay that kind of money to have them doing nothing and claim it is good. Follow up calls got ignored. Time to take it in there and *****.
I had the same problem but it was me.
First page is where you start:
Pick brand
First option: model
Second option: body computer
Third option: year that covers vehicle

Second page: connect once connected in the lower right click on the car with the hood up.
Third page: 6th from the bottom car configuration ( this is the part I was missing)

4th page
Select option then find what you are looking for.

I hope this helps. I have only had this for 2 days and just figuring it out.