Lifter failure again… how to bulletproof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Fair 'nuff. We shall carry on doing what we do. I don't know why we (people in general) keep trying to change people's minds on the internet, when we know full well that there's not an ice cube's chance in Africa that it's going to work. LOL Unfortunately, the forum doesn't seem to have a "delete" option for my contribution to this silliness.

Curious... do you subscribe to the idle bump-up theory as well? I adjusted mine to +200 revs across the board from the factory tune. Not sure if it's worth the extra fuel burnt, but I don't think it's doing any harm, at least. Truck still drives normally. I actually don't think the +200 revs took for idle in D, as it seems to idle normally at stoplights. But it's definitely closer to 750 after startup.

Also, that thermometer reading is disgusting. Shorts and a hoodie aren't gonna cut it there, that's for sure.
All you've got to do is search my name to find my thoughts on the stock 550/560 rpm idle,lol
First post of yours i actually agree with :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When i did the cam in my truck,the stock cam and lifters were in perfect shape,and they went into a young single mothers truck that we put onto Redline 5W-30 and RP 20-820 filters,and she's proceeded to put 180,000 clics on my old stock cam and lifters.She has 2 young kids,so she lets the truck idle a fair bit to warm up,as she can't bundle them up and still get them legally into their car seats. So idling them isn't an issue as much as you make it out to be,as long as you use a high quality oil and good filter,and don't run long OCI's.
I know of lots of trucks that have well over 200,000 clics on them,and they've done their fair share of idling in the cold. ;)
A good oil change regime will do more to prolong the life of the lifters then driving it away cold does:Big Laugh:
Pic of my thermometer this morning with-out windchill,it's still -37C at noon,lol
Looks to me like someone could use a new and improved thermometer!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Damn, Rick. Do you live in the North Pole? That's insane.
There's times the North Pole is warmer then us Ed,lol
Compared to last winter this isn't bad though.For a couple weeks last winter Alberta was the coldest place on the planet, the Antartic was warmer then us last year a few times :rolleyes:

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When i did the cam in my truck,the stock cam and lifters were in perfect shape,and they went into a young single mothers truck that we put onto Redline 5W-30 and RP 20-820 filters,and she's proceeded to put 180,000 clics on my old stock cam and lifters.She has 2 young kids,so she lets the truck idle a fair bit to warm up,as she can't bundle them up and still get them legally into their car seats. So idling them isn't an issue as much as you make it out to be,as long as you use a high quality oil and good filter,and don't run long OCI's.
I know of lots of trucks that have well over 200,000 clics on them,and they've done their fair share of idling in the cold. ;)
A good oil change regime will do more to prolong the life of the lifters then driving it away cold does:Big Laugh:
Pic of my thermometer this morning with-out windchill,it's still -37C at noon,lol
Your thermometer doesn't even go low enough. How do you do it? Lol!

My thin FL blood would have me in hypothermia in no time lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Your thermometer doesn't even go low enough. How do you do it? Lol!

My thin FL blood would have me in hypothermia in no time lol
We were warm compared to a couple other places,during that cold snap,lol. Edmonton International Airport showed a pic of their thermometer,and it was showing -50C/-58F 2 mornings in a row, even a prairie Canuck will admit that's cold :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: