16x7.5 rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Holbrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
hey guys looking at buying some new rims for my truck. its got 16x7.5 rims according to the door sticker. it calls for 245/75 but it has 265/75 on it. can it cause any issues having oversized tires like that? they do not rub anything at all. but my main question is all the rims I see for sale are either 7 or 8 wide does anyone know if it can cause a problem being 1/2 inch over? I have never dealt with rims before so im not sure what im looking for and tire shops in my area want to charge me just to look at the truck in general. im not looking to go with super huge tires as I don't care for the look. 2002 2500 5.9l gasser

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are tons of options for you, depending on what you want. Size, width, and offset(backspacing) are what you want to pay attention to. If you want an improvement over stock w/o going really wide or having the tires stick out 4”...try going to tiresize.com, plug in your tire size and then there is a comparison button just under it, it will give you tire sizes for 17”,18”,20” wheels to keep the same size tire you have but with new wheels.
I.e. your current size tire equals 275/65/18 on an 18” wheel and keeps right about the same height and width you have. 18” wheels give a great look.
Hope this helps.
You shouldnt have any issues with an 18x8 or even 18x9 provided you get the proper offset/ backspacing. If you went wild and had 12” wide wheels with a massive negative offset, yeah you can have problems.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
hey guys looking at buying some new rims for my truck. its got 16x7.5 rims according to the door sticker. it calls for 245/75 but it has 265/75 on it. can it cause any issues having oversized tires like that? they do not rub anything at all. but my main question is all the rims I see for sale are either 7 or 8 wide does anyone know if it can cause a problem being 1/2 inch over? I have never dealt with rims before so im not sure what im looking for and tire shops in my area want to charge me just to look at the truck in general. im not looking to go with super huge tires as I don't care for the look. 2002 2500 5.9l gasser

So...let us understand here....you want to put 265/75/16 tires on a different rim, correct?.
265's were an optional size for 2nd gens depending on other options. 245's were the standard tire. On a 2500 a 265 is probably the norm.

Rather than give an opinion regarding this, I would suggest googling or binging or whatever search engine you use, a place called Tire Rack.

Look up the size tire you wish and the site will give you as many manufacturers of that size tire. Pick one and go to where it says specs. In there it will tell you what size rims are recommended. Most tire molders are pretty consistent in recommended rim width.

If you're looking for custom rims to fit your 265's, you'll probably end up with an 8 inch rim. Offset and backspacing come into play here as far as clearance, but Tire Rack can assist there as well. You get the facts and not a bunch of internet opinions.

The bonus here is that you now know almost as much as the local shops who want to charge you just to look at your truck.

After doing your research, come back if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: Mop