180 or 190 Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Most recent towing trip yesterday. The coolant stayed nice and cool, about 195F average while maintaining 63 mph. The oil temps climbed slower than before, but still reached 224F peak.

I'm very happy with the coolant which is obviously much cooler, but the oil is still strangely high for my taste.

How is it possible there can be such a gap between coolant temps and oil temps? I feel that coolant dropped quite a bit but oil barely runs any cooler relative to the drop in coolant, so what is happening; why is the system not removing more heat from the oil?

Maybe, in addition to the oil filter relocation you could add an additional oil cooler and maybe that'll get you to the lower oil temps that you seek, especially when towing during the summer months.

I've also done the simple AGS delete and that has helped tremendously with reducing the coolent/oil temps. I may swap out the oem t-stat to the 180°. I've also changed out the oem transmission heater t-stat with @caulk4's transmission t-stat bypass valve reducing the temp ~40°.
I reside in Louisiana where the summertime heat may be one thing, but adding the humidity makes things worse for my HEMI.
Imo, the folks in control should stay out of the automobile business and focus more on "fixing" other things ...

Keep on hammering down and good luck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Most recent towing trip yesterday. The coolant stayed nice and cool, about 195F average while maintaining 63 mph. The oil temps climbed slower than before, but still reached 224F peak.

I'm very happy with the coolant which is obviously much cooler, but the oil is still strangely high for my taste.

How is it possible there can be such a gap between coolant temps and oil temps? I feel that coolant dropped quite a bit but oil barely runs any cooler relative to the drop in coolant, so what is happening; why is the system not removing more heat from the oil?
The oil is the cooling median for the bearings and camshaft more then anything,and coolant doesn't circulate around those areas of the engine,so your oil temps won't drop all that much with a colder thermostat.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did get the transmission bypass valve from caulk, haven't installed it yet but I never had issues with my transmission heating up. Got it "just in case" lol.

The oil is the cooling median for the bearings and camshaft more then anything,and coolant doesn't circulate around those areas of the engine,so your oil temps won't drop all that much with a colder thermostat.

Makes sense, I guess if I want cooler oil temps my next step would be the external oil cooler. I might just run this for a few more trips and see how it goes, I have a moderately stout oil in there now (HPL Euro no vii 5w-30).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did get the transmission bypass valve from caulk, haven't installed it yet but I never had issues with my transmission heating up. Got it "just in case" lol.

Makes sense, I guess if I want cooler oil temps my next step would be the external oil cooler. I might just run this for a few more trips and see how it goes, I have a moderately stout oil in there now (HPL Euro no vii 5w-30).
You don't want an oil cooler on a stock 5.7 with the original oil pump,your pressures will take a big drop especially at idle.Stick your pac brake filter kit on and go from there.I'm not a huge fan of the pac brake kit,but if you already have it,you might as well give it a whirl.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You don't want an oil cooler on a stock 5.7 with the original oil pump,your pressures will take a big drop especially at idle.Stick your pac brake filter kit on and go from there.I'm not a huge fan of the pac brake kit,but if you already have it,you might as well give it a whirl.

I have the pacbrake installed too, same time as the 180 was installed a few weeks ago.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

I did not know this, I wasn't interested in the addition of an oil cooler on my HEMI or considered one.
I'm good with the simple mods I have done on/to cooling things down some.
I'm not really interested in installing an oil filter relocation kit either anymore, 'cause I don't have issues with removing the "larger" oil filter or spilling oil everywhere lol ... I have my technique down and all is good, lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have the pacbrake installed too, same time as the 180 was installed a few weeks ago.
It wasn't till i went to the dual filter set-up and started using the big old 30-8A filters that i noticed any drop in oil temps. With the single remote filter set-up i never really had a drop in oil temps.With the dual filters the oil has more time in the filters to actually radiate heat and cool off slightly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500