66rfe to bypass or not to bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17Ramguy78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I read that transmissions optimal temp is 170⁰ ish. That temp keeps moisture from building up I'm the fluid. I just got my truck a few months ago so no blazing temps. The temps were around 175 consistently now I put a bypass in it and it barely sees 120, have not towed anything nor seen hot weather in any case. I plan to keep the fluid serviced, should I be worried of over cooling my tranny, in Delaware we can get into some low temps but that is rare. I saved the oem thermo valve should I reinstall to keep my tranny at around 170?

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never heard of a transmission failing due to being too cool, but I've heard of a lot of them that have "burnt up". Having a gm vehicle now I learned that there 6 speed transmissions had 190 degree thermostats. Gm even put out a tsb that they would replace it free of charge for a 145 degree tstat. So I don't think 170 is the "optimal temp" but that all varies depending on what you read or who you ask.

If you're worried about it I think mishimoto makes around 140 degree one for our trucks if I remember correctly. I put in a revmax a few months ago and have yet to see over 118 this winter. Shifts great especially with redline c+ so I'm not worried about the cooler temps.

bigdodge

Reaction score
The main cause for the thermostat to fail is from debris. Like what you see in the bottom of the oil pan. I have 131k on mine but have changed the fluid every 30k and never had an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357