19 Classic metallic clicking / ticking noise .... help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanCitySteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

Great forum, first time ram owner here.

i have a classic crew 4x4 and i cannot figure out this ticking sound. I hear it anytime the rpms are between 1000 and 1500. Got a few videos. You can hear it around the 20 second mark of the first vid. Like spoons clacking. Driving me bonkers. Anyone have something similar?

much appreciated

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me that doesn't sound like a manifold leaking. Mine did that and it sounded a lot different. I never personally have had the Hemi tick. I am sure someone will chime in and help you. Best of luck!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pully bearing or frayed belt, I don't hear any internal issues after listening to them over and over with good headphones. Listened again, I do hear a slight pully issue though. Not hemi tick for sure, if you need assurances or to verify how the engine is doing spend 40 bucks and get standard uoa plus tbn here. With a young engine expect heavy wear, but very likely way less wear then a sick engine. Plus as a bonus, send the sample in when over 5k miles on are it, so you can set your interval.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Go to 1 minute mark of this video, and that is a mild hemi tick, so you can tell you have none of that...most ticks are worse then this.

OP
OP
VanCitySteve

VanCitySteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla,

its def not on all the time like that video, for sure. Only right around that 1500 rpm mark, even as the engine is gearing down its present. Just trying to diagnose it so i can convince the dealer its a thing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is there any fraying on the belt?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My guess one of your pulley bearings was not greased or under greased from day 1. If that is the case, expect to get worse overtime until you have to fix it. Google on how to diagnose a pulley bearing squeak. I like this dude, he has always done me solid with mechanics info, motor city mechanic as well another resource. He is more of a 3rd and 4th gen mechanic then a 5th gen, but I'd think with pulleys it will still be helpful. He has another pulley bearing vid I do believe. watch this vid all the way through, see if you are out of alignment.