New Owner - Few Questions/Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone. I’ve been a long time reader here, but just registered an account this evening. Thanks to all of you for the things I’ve learned so far!

I bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 Classic last week. It’s a Big Horn Crew Cab 2wd with 3.93 gears, anti spin rear differential, and the 5.7 liter Hemi. This is the first brand new vehicle I’ve ever purchased (at the ripe age of 35, lol), but it was a deal I couldn’t pass up.

I’ve noticed some things in my first week of ownership that seem a little off. I haven’t been able to find much information about them by searching, so I thought I’d start this thread.

First, when I test drove the vehicle I noticed a ticking or clicking noise that seems to be coming from the left side of the engine compartment or wheel well. The sound is directly correlated to the RPMs and almost goes away when coasting or maintaining speed. This sound hasn’t gone away, and I don’t recall hearing the same sound when I test drove a similar truck with 3.21 gears that same day. Is this something I should have the dealer check out, or is it normal?

Second, this evening I got into the truck, pressed the brake pedal and shifted the truck into drive, but noticed there was no audible shifting sound from the transmission, nor any movement that typically accompanies shifting the truck into drive. I let off the brake and the truck didn’t move at all. I put the truck back into park, then drive, and the same thing. I tapped the gas pedal and there was a thud type of noise and the truck lunged forward. It drove home fine after that. Since then, every time I press or release the brake pedal when the truck is in park there’s a loud grinding noise that sounds like it’s coming from behind the rotary shifter. This one kind of scared me, and I’m wondering if it’s normal or should be looked at by a dealer?

Lastly, when it’s cold outside, the back of my driver’s seat makes a popping noise any time my weight shifts in the seat. I can feel the pops in my back as well. Could also probably be described as a crunching noise. This doesn’t happen when it’s warmer outside.

The truck had 4 miles on it when I purchased, and presently has just over 100.

I previously owned an older Ram truck and really don’t like the service department at my dealership. They’ve broken trim pieces before and left them in the floor boards, left grease stains all over my seats, etc. I really don’t trust them, and they haven’t ever seemed diligent or invested in really diagnosing issues. The downside is the next closest dealer is over 60 miles away.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'd have all of those looked at, particularly the shift knob, it should not be grinding. It's a brand new truck with a bumper to bumper warranty, make use of it! :)

-K

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) sounds like a possible exhaust leak” which is entirely possible”
2) not normal, get it to a dealer
3) again not normal, dealer should be able to resolve.

So for all 3 concerns I would take it to a dealer express ur concerns and have them take a look. Is there another dealer you can go to?

cryption

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 ORP
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I agree with everyone here and take it to the dealer. I've had some interesting issues with my 2019 classic as well and it's at the dealership now. A couple things I wouldn't have expected on a new truck, but if it all gets sorted I'll be happy.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
absolutely get it to the dealer

and welcome to RamForum

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would drive the 60 miles and use the other dealer if you are not happy with the closer dealer.

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses everyone. I’ll get in touch with the dealer and schedule an appointment. I’ve managed to record video of all three of these issues/noises as they happen, so hopefully that will be helpful. Cryption, sorry to hear you’re having issues also. Like you, I’m a little surprised/disappointed, but will be a happy camper if these issues can be resolved.

Update: I have an appointment to drop it off first thing tomorrow morning. I’ll post back here with any findings or repairs that are completed in case any of these become prevalent issues with the classic.

Last edited:

Jason53177

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram classic
Engine
I would bring it back to the purchasing dealer. They will make it right. Make sure your service receipt has the issues listed on it. Had problems with Vw dealer who wouldn’t put load throw out bearing on the receipt and when it failed at 12000 miles they didn’t want to cover it

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advice Jason. I dropped it off at the dealer I purchased from this morning. I also provided the service advisor with the video I recorded to document and demonstrate all three issues. All three issues were documented on the initial paperwork I signed, and I’ll verify they’re all listed on the receipt as well. Really hoping for some clear explanations and resolutions. I would hate for this to become one of the many service department nightmares I’ve read about, that result in no explanation or resolution and continued problems.

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
7B0AF1BB-0C6D-479C-BBCF-5FB074382C79.jpeg Well, just picked it up from the dealership.

Regarding the ticking noise, the dealer says they think I’m hearing the “Hemi Tick.” He went on to explain it’s a common thing, etc. I’ve read about the Hemi tick, and don’t agree, but they say they looked at the manifold studs, etc, and don’t see anything wrong.

Regarding the shifting issue and shifter noise, the dealer said there weren’t any codes stored in the computer from when the problem occurred. The say they looked everything over and don’t see anything wrong. They explained how the solenoids work to allow movement of the shifter, but couldn’t explain why mine was so loud in the video I provided to them. The noise is much quieter now than it was immediately after the shifting issue I experienced.

Regarding the noise in the driver’s seat, they ordered two parts to basically rebuild the seat back. The parts will be in next Friday, and they agreed to provide a loaner vehicle for that service visit.

The staff at the dealership were kind and easy enough to work with. They took time to go over the things they inspected with me in the service bay. They seemed to sort of disregard the issue I had shifting, and the ticking noise. I’m not sure if they’re just at a loss, or genuinely don’t see anything wrong and don’t have many other avenues to pursue at this point. They seemed very interested in the seat issue, and appeared to be committed to seeing it through.

Sort of a neutral experience I suppose. I still don’t know what the ticking noise is, and it’s still present. The shifter is quieter, but I’ll always be wondering when it’s going to go wrong again since nothing was “fixed” and there was no explanation. Hopefully the seat will be fixed relatively soon.

Lastly, here’s a picture of the truck!

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
two rivers regarding the ticking noise a very common problem with the hemi engine some guys including myself switched to a different oil like 5w30 instead of the 5w20 and cured the problem wait to about 3000 to 5000 miles and use red line 5w30 full syntec oil after a few hundred miles you will notice the ticking noise going away good luck

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Tantore. I’ll give that a shot at the first oil change.

cryption

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 ORP
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just got my truck back from the dealer, and now I have that grinding noise coming from the shift knob too. It's a new thing that happened since getting it back, it's the lock out when I press on the brake pedal. If you press the brake pedal does it make the noise, then again when you lift off it? Mines making a noise like you describe now too, and I can even feel the shift knob vibrate.

4k miles on my truck and it's been to the dealership a couple times now. Hope you have good luck, post up if you get that grinding noise again because I'm trying to get mine looked at as well.

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my truck back from the dealer, and now I have that grinding noise coming from the shift knob too. It's a new thing that happened since getting it back, it's the lock out when I press on the brake pedal. If you press the brake pedal does it make the noise, then again when you lift off it? Mines making a noise like you describe now too, and I can even feel the shift knob vibrate.

4k miles on my truck and it's been to the dealership a couple times now. Hope you have good luck, post up if you get that grinding noise again because I'm trying to get mine looked at as well.

Dang, sorry to hear that. Yes, it makes the noise when I press and release the brake pedal. It’s the strangest thing...it’s been getting quieter every day since the day of the shifting malfunction when it started. What all has yours had to go in for so far?

cryption

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 ORP
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dang, sorry to hear that. Yes, it makes the noise when I press and release the brake pedal. It’s the strangest thing...it’s been getting quieter every day since the day of the shifting malfunction when it started. What all has yours had to go in for so far?

I'm going to get the dealer to look at mine next time I'm in there, the noise seems like it doesn't affect functionality so for now I'm waiting until an oil change. I'll let ya know what they end up saying - unless you beat me to the dealer lol.

It's been up for a groaning in the steering wheel when it turns. It ended up being the harness for the airbag making noise as the wheel turns and it shifts. They remounted it and the sound seems to have gone away for now. It was louder when I got it back at first but a few lock to lock turns real fast seems to have shifted it enough so the noise stops. It was up there twice for that.

When I got it the alignment was off so I brought it up for that.

I brought it up there for a case of unintended acceleration, gas pedal locked to the floor and the Electronic Throttle Control warning light came on. When I was able to get the truck slowed and in neutral the pedal slammed back into the normal position and I could stop the truck. Dealer thinks it was the floor mats getting up under the pedal. We reproduced it, but the feeling and sound weren't the same so I'm not 100% convinced that was the cause.

To the dealer's credit, they've been super helpful and have worked with me on everything.

It's my first RAM truck, and I do like it - hoping everything is sorted now. It seems to be all working but at 4k miles I hate the feeling of what's next lol

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. That sounds scary! That’s the thing with all of these trucks nowadays - everything seems to be electronic, and the computers can literally go nuts or flat out shut things down. Nevertheless, it’s discouraging to have issues like these on brand new trucks. Like you, I really like the truck. I’m hopeful I’ll get the kinks worked out and the truck will be reliable for many years to come! Wish you the best with the same! I’m back to the dealer on Friday to have the upper half of the driver’s seat rebuilt...ugh!

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi everyone. I’ve been a long time reader here, but just registered an account this evening. Thanks to all of you for the things I’ve learned so far!

I bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 Classic last week. It’s a Big Horn Crew Cab 2wd with 3.93 gears, anti spin rear differential, and the 5.7 liter Hemi. This is the first brand new vehicle I’ve ever purchased (at the ripe age of 35, lol), but it was a deal I couldn’t pass up.

I’ve noticed some things in my first week of ownership that seem a little off. I haven’t been able to find much information about them by searching, so I thought I’d start this thread.

First, when I test drove the vehicle I noticed a ticking or clicking noise that seems to be coming from the left side of the engine compartment or wheel well. The sound is directly correlated to the RPMs and almost goes away when coasting or maintaining speed. This sound hasn’t gone away, and I don’t recall hearing the same sound when I test drove a similar truck with 3.21 gears that same day. Is this something I should have the dealer check out, or is it normal?

Second, this evening I got into the truck, pressed the brake pedal and shifted the truck into drive, but noticed there was no audible shifting sound from the transmission, nor any movement that typically accompanies shifting the truck into drive. I let off the brake and the truck didn’t move at all. I put the truck back into park, then drive, and the same thing. I tapped the gas pedal and there was a thud type of noise and the truck lunged forward. It drove home fine after that. Since then, every time I press or release the brake pedal when the truck is in park there’s a loud grinding noise that sounds like it’s coming from behind the rotary shifter. This one kind of scared me, and I’m wondering if it’s normal or should be looked at by a dealer?

Lastly, when it’s cold outside, the back of my driver’s seat makes a popping noise any time my weight shifts in the seat. I can feel the pops in my back as well. Could also probably be described as a crunching noise. This doesn’t happen when it’s warmer outside.

The truck had 4 miles on it when I purchased, and presently has just over 100.

I previously owned an older Ram truck and really don’t like the service department at my dealership. They’ve broken trim pieces before and left them in the floor boards, left grease stains all over my seats, etc. I really don’t trust them, and they haven’t ever seemed diligent or invested in really diagnosing issues. The downside is the next closest dealer is over 60 miles away.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated!

Just curious, if all this was happening upon test driven it, and if you don't like the dealership where you're at, why buy a truck from them in the first place?? why would you buy it? Regardless, it's still under warranty, I'd be back at the dealership ASAP. Getting stuff fixed

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing occurring during the test drive was the ticking noise. The truck had been delivered earlier that day and was still covered in bugs and some remnants of plastic wrap on various places. During the test drive it almost sounded like there was paper or plastic flapping while driving. I mentioned it to the sales person, but didn’t think much of it beyond that at the time.

The transmission not going into gear was a one time thing, and occurred on the night mentioned in my original post. Hasn’t happened again since. Like I mentioned previously, the dealer says there aren’t any codes stored in the computer from that event, which stinks, because I wonder if it’s going to happen again.

The truck is actually at the dealer today for the last part of the seat repair. This didn’t happen on the test drive. I noticed it the morning after I bought it, and it only does it when it’s cold in the mornings. No issues when it’s warm out, so it didn’t happen during the test drive.

I really like the sales side of my local dealership, the service side of things is a disaster.

OP
OP
T

TwoRivers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up the truck last night. Got cold overnight, so I went out to check this morning, and the seat is fixed! They replaced the “flex plate” and upper seat bracket. At least one issue is resolved. I had them look into the ticking noise again, and they still say everything sounds normal. I’ll see if it eases up after the first oil change, as was recommended on here earlier.