1989 W100 Fuel Delivery Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rustyram89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone, I have an '89 Ram W100 with the 318, TBI. It starts up fine, runs for about 10 seconds smoothly, then sputters out. It doesn't seem to only happen when the idle drops too low, you can give it a little gas and keep the idle up, and it still dies. It will do this over and over as well, so I feel like it's getting a little bit of gas?

You can hear the fuel pump in back in the gas tank kick on for a couple seconds when you turn the key, and i don't think it has anything to do with the distributor since it doesn't misfire and runs smoothly--for a few seconds then dies.

I don't have a ton of experience with fuel delivery systems, so any advice to point me in the right direction is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does that year have the electronic hall effects sensor in the dizzy like my 1991? If so that might be it. Mine did the same thing and some other stalling no start problems right before it quit. I replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

scottytewshoes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 V8
I have an '89 Ramcharger with the 5.9L 360 V8 and im experiencing the exact Same issue! Swapped the filter amd the pump already, now im worried the new pump is fried!!! Seems to be electrical but im at a loss and stressing hard over this. What was wrong with yours?
Hey everyone, I have an '89 Ram W100 with the 318, TBI. It starts up fine, runs for about 10 seconds smoothly, then sputters out. It doesn't seem to only happen when the idle drops too low, you can give it a little gas and keep the idle up, and it still dies. It will do this over and over as well, so I feel like it's getting a little bit of gas?

You can hear the fuel pump in back in the gas tank kick on for a couple seconds when you turn the key, and i don't think it has anything to do with the distributor since it doesn't misfire and runs smoothly--for a few seconds then dies.

I don't have a ton of experience with fuel delivery systems, so any advice to point me in the right direction is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk