1st Oil Change, New to Forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plexirocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all. New to the forum.Been reading and learning here since I bought my new 2019 Ram 1500 Warlock with the 5.7L.

After a lot of reading in the synthetic oil thread, I had my 1st oil change done today using PUP 5w20. Also added Lubegard Engine Protectant. 5300mi on the odometer at time of change.

I traded my '15 F150 2.7L EcoBoost for the new Ram....and I have to say...I LOVE this truck!

I'm using this as my daily driver on my 110 mile round trip commute, which is all highway.

Hoping to get many years of trouble free use out of this truck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the truck. Step 1 is to switch to 5w30 oil. Step 2 is to make sure it's fully synthetic. Step 3 is to use redline 5w30, if not then pup5w30, qsud5w30 will suffice. Step 4 is to get a quality synthetic oil filter preferably from royal purple. If not then wix xp works well too.

I think most guys on here run 6-10xxx mile intervals. I'd avoid idling if possible due to low oil pressure causing wear on the lifter/cam. Some go the extra mile and add lubegard to their oil like you did.

OP
OP
plexirocker

plexirocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the truck. Step 1 is to switch to 5w30 oil. Step 2 is to make sure it's fully synthetic. Step 3 is to use redline 5w30, if not then pup5w30, qsud5w30 will suffice. Step 4 is to get a quality synthetic oil filter preferably from royal purple. If not then wix xp works well too.

I think most guys on here run 6-10xxx mile intervals. I'd avoid idling if possible due to low oil pressure causing wear on the lifter/cam. Some go the extra mile and add lubegard to their oil like you did.

Hi Gero...thanks for the response. I used the PUP 5W20 due to my concern about any warranty repairs that may be needed?

I did use a RP 10-48 filter

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gero...thanks for the response. I used the PUP 5W20 due to my concern about any warranty repairs that may be needed?

You might be OK with the 5W20 since you added the lubeguard to bump the MOLY. I assume you don't have any tick issues? I have the QSUD 5W30 in my RAM and have been happy with it thus far and of course Redline 5W30 in my Challenger. Good luck with that combination!

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have the same problem. I'm under warranty and I'd like my receipts to show I've only been using 5w20. So I'll just buy 5w20, photocopy the receipt and then exchange it to 5w30. It's a hassle but I think it's worth it in the long run. You dont want to give the dealers any ammo to deny warranty should your lifters fail. I think the hemis here that have lifter related failures usually all make it beyond the warranty period anyways.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you do your own oil changes?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
plexirocker

plexirocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might be OK with the 5W20 since you added the lubeguard to bump the MOLY. I assume you don't have any tick issues? I have the QSUD 5W30 in my RAM and have been happy with it thus far and of course Redline 5W30 in my Challenger. Good luck with that combination!
No tick issue at 5300 miles....yet...with fingers crossed. After all the reading I've done since buying...I am nervous though

And yes...I added the lubegard to bump up moly. I may purchase the Chrysler extended warranty 100k in the very near future

OP
OP
plexirocker

plexirocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you do your own oil changes?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.
I live in New England with no garage.. so at the moment...no.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
No tick issue at 5300 miles....yet...with fingers crossed. After all the reading I've done since buying...I am nervous though

And yes...I added the lubegard to bump up moly. I may purchase the Chrysler extended warranty 100k in the very near future

Welcome to the forum plexirocker.
I used to get nervous because of some of the stuff I read on the forum but not anymore. I just enjoy the truck and if something happens it happens no biggy. I'm on my third Ram and no tick yet and all have had less problems than my 150 had.
Enjoy your new ride.

OP
OP
plexirocker

plexirocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum plexirocker.
I used to get nervous because of some of the stuff I read on the forum but not anymore. I just enjoy the truck and if something happens it happens no biggy. I'm on my third Ram and no tick yet and all have had less problems than my 150 had.
Enjoy your new ride.
I try not to worry....but it's in my nature...lol

My '15 F150 was serviced under warranty several times...the 1st occured 1 day after rolling off the lot.

The issues I had included non functional backup camera, warped front rotors...twice... leaking oilpan...which took 4 services to correct....two sets of tie rod ends

I liked the truck...but I like the Ram much more

The way I see it....all of the trucks out there have issues...

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have not had my truck that long but have done 2 oil changes with 5-20 non synthetic and do not notice any unusual noises from the motor with 40k miles.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
have not had my truck that long but have done 2 oil changes with 5-20 non synthetic and do not notice any unusual noises from the motor with 40k miles.

You’ve only done 2 oil changes in 49k miles? [emoji33]

Pyramid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all. New to the forum.Been reading and learning here since I bought my new 2019 Ram 1500 Warlock with the 5.7L.

After a lot of reading in the synthetic oil thread, I had my 1st oil change done today using PUP 5w20. Also added Lubegard Engine Protectant. 5300mi on the odometer at time of change.

I traded my '15 F150 2.7L EcoBoost for the new Ram....and I have to say...I LOVE this truck!

I'm using this as my daily driver on my 110 mile round trip commute, which is all highway.

Hoping to get many years of trouble free use out of this truck!

Pyramid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’ve only done 2 oil changes in 49k miles? [emoji33]

When you add the lube guard, how much do you add. Do you add it to the 7 qts of oil or leave a qt out and substitute a qt of lube guard?

OP
OP
plexirocker

plexirocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you add the lube guard, how much do you add. Do you add it to the 7 qts of oil or leave a qt out and substitute a qt of lube guard?
I had a shop do the oil change. I told them to add 6qts of oil, then 10oz bottle of Lubegard, then top off with as much of 7th qt of oil as needed.

Maybe others can chime in with how they do it

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Crossing your fingers? Assuming the worst? Man alive! Stick with what the manufacturer recommends. Use their filter. Try the BG MOA 115 motor oil additive. Get their warranty that protects you up to 4 grand when the engine blows. They actually pay when you prove with documents that you've done the oil changes on schedule and used their product. I have a customer with a Taurus where BG paid twice for a heater core replacement because we used their cooling system additive. Pretty good in that the whole dash has to be removed!

BG is the core reason I have so many trouble free miles on my old vehicles! Check them out. Find out about their warranty coverage. After factory warranty expires, it's great!