2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - shuts off - no wait to start light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMSKMS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
2001 Dodge Ram 3500. Had the truck 6 months, purchased from original owner (Step Dad). Truck ran fine for couple thousand miles. Routine maintenance I changed the fuel filter. Had trouble priming as the pump would not run. Finally got it running, drove for 50 miles and just quite running, restarted after 10ish minutes. Changed the lift pump, same problem after 30 miles. Took to local Diesel Mechanic here in Forest Va. They suggested to upgrade to FASS fuel system, Titanium series. Installed and 100 miles later same issue, no warning just shuts down while driving. Back to Mechanic, they suggested replacing the Injection pump, maybe the leak of cooling and caused it to go bad. Injection pump replaced, Picked up Friday, 60 miles later, exact same problem (have spent considerable money now). This time I noticed the "Wait to Start Light" was not on, just cranking but not starting, kept turning the key every couple minutes, finally the Light is back on and truck starts. 15 miles later same condition, shut off no warning. Again when trying to restart the Light is not on. Turn key on no light, by this time I have learned if the light does not come on its not going to start. Unconnected/reconnected batteries, after about 10 minutes, light back on restarts, head home. I have read several things, ECU, Bad grounds, bad connectors, grid heater relay....Anyone had this same problem. Did the 3 key and code P PCU (which I have read means no code available) Thanks for any advise!!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I had a Step Dad like that too. Diabolical *******! (sorry man, had to) :)

Some smart diesel guys here, you'll get help. Calling McBroom....you out there son?