2002 1500 4WD front driveshaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big TJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First time posting here, though a lot of great help on things in the past.

My 16yo son bought a 2002 Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, w/automatic transmission. 155k miles.

A few months after he bought it, it quit shifting into reverse so he got his transmission rebuilt. While it was in the shop, they told us that the clanking noise up front was the front drive shaft needing replacement. It was going to cost $750 for the part from Dodge. He didn't have that much money and we picked up a used one at the salvage for $50 (pull your own part place). Two questions:

1. The part we bought has the rubber boot missing on the back (non- u joint) end that attaches to the spindle(?). It seems like this might be critical to keep grease in/dirt out. I can't find anything online about replacing it. Any thoughts or links? (picture below)
0815211840a[1].jpg
2. All of the videos we have watched talked about marking the drive shaft placement due to balancing. The shop kept the old one we took off and the one we bought was already taken off the truck at the salvage. So we don't have a marking on either one to balance it (if that would even work since they were off different trucks to begin with.) How do we ensure proper balance?

The new to us (salvage) part seems fine except for the boot. It has a 90 day warranty, so we can take it back if we have to, but would rather find a way to make it work if we can.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
put a Fleetpride reman shaft for $150 they are nationwide

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are revamping there Site, give them your info on the lower right corner and they will get back to you, I've used these guys for years and rebuild Canadian shafts are there specialty.

OP
OP
Big TJ

Big TJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are revamping there Site, give them your info on the lower right corner and they will get back to you, I've used these guys for years and rebuild Canadian shafts are there specialty.
Done. Waiting to hear back from them. I will let you know. Thanks.

OP
OP
Big TJ

Big TJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I sent them an email with details and they said that I need to bring the broken part in and that they will look at what's wrong and give me a quote on rebuilding it. Their shop is not near me, so that isn't really an option.

Another couple of questions:

1) does the front drive shaft turn when 4wd is NOT engaged? What issue is there putting the one with a broken boot on it besides it loosing grease?
2) I am seeing new ones on Amazon for $150. Since he doesn't drive 4wd much, is that worth considering?

He's a high school kid with a part time job trying to fix up an old truck, so that's working against him. But he's really enjoying the process, so I want to help him keep costs as low as possible, but not just replace it with something that will blow out again in six months and/or be dangerous.

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts.