2002 1500 Cross-member bushing, does someone make one???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I can't for the life of me find replacement bushings for the cross-member on my 02 Ram 1500. This is where the rear of the control arm lands and a bolt goes through it into the torsion bar.

Am I SOL on replacing this part? I have some clunking in the front end and this is one of the last factory pieces of rubber in there.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like what you need is 17 or 18, now you just need to figure out which and whether you can find it lol.

p21.jpg

OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
They look to be long, long, long ago discontinued. I'm a little surprised Dorman doesn't put out a replacement.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't for the life of me find replacement bushings for the cross-member on my 02 Ram 1500. This is where the rear of the control arm lands and a bolt goes through it into the torsion bar.

Am I SOL on replacing this part? I have some clunking in the front end and this is one of the last factory pieces of rubber in there.

Are you able to pull out the bolts, #16 in HemiLonestar's, pic?

OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I've been spraying them down with penetrant while I look around for new bushings.

OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I got mine from rockauto when I replaced all the bushings
Can you look up what you ordered possibly? The only lower rear bushing I see on Rock Auto has the same specs as the lower front bushing, which doesn't seem correct.

DomCard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is what I found. The two lower ones are the same. I had to remove the torsion bar to get bolt out. As far as the bushing 13 in the diagram above. I did not replace. Those are torsion track bushigs

upload_2020-9-10_10-3-12.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Ah, that's the info I was looking for! Because Chrysler assigned two different part numbers to the F/R control arm bushings, I assumed that they couldn't possibly have the same dimensions. Since they are the same, this all should be much easier! Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Everything came apart pretty easily, I'm very thankful for that! Naturally my ball joint press isn't quite big enough to press the new ones in, so now I get to wait on the Miller 8682 to suck the new parts back in.

I suppose having this downtime means I can order a few more bits and pieces to replace worn parts. The cowl pad under the hood smells pretty funky, and naturally that drifts into the HVAC inlet. I'm going to have a go at sanding the rust off my wiper arms and painting them as well.

OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
1601495508353.jpg
Yes, this is a hefty tool! It struggled a little to press the new bushing into the control arm, but it was no problem to do the one in the chassis. When I do the second one, I may do some quick sanding on the control arm to open up the hole a thousandth of an inch or so to make the process a little easier.

1601602477818.jpg
That wasn't doing me any favors. I'll have to work up the motivation to do the other side, I'm sure it's just as bad.

Last edited:

DomCard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Put some grease on the threads of the tool, also a thin coat around bushing. an air impact also helps.

OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Yeah, I put a lot of penetrating oil on the bushing sleeves and greased up the threads. Things seemed a lot easier just using a box end wrench and my breaker bar to do the pressing.

Situation 5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a question for y'all. In the pic of the factory suspension that was posted, does anyone have an idea where I can get the torsion bar crossmember or the bushings? Or is the a lift kit that comes with one?

OP
OP
A

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
They are NLA. While every single bushing was toast on my truck, those were still 100% OK and I don't think they live a very rough life.

DomCard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I have a question for y'all. In the pic of the factory suspension that was posted, does anyone have an idea where I can get the torsion bar crossmember or the bushings? Or is the a lift kit that comes with one?
There is a lift kit that comes with it.. Rough Country has it.

Situation 5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may have found a solution. Earlier I talked with a company that said they can custom mold them for a minimum quantity of 50 street grade polyurethane bushings, and the mold would cost 200. The cost of all the bushings would be several hundred more. Its the only solution so far since Mopar stopped making them years ago, no dealer has any left in the entire country, and won't authorize the aftermarket to make them. It seems theres a demand for them so I think it would be worth it.