2002 2500 5.9L Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Holbrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey everyone just bought a new (to me) dodge and its my first one. 51k miles married to a automatic trans. Personally I cant stand a automatic and am looking at doing a swap for a standard. can anyone tell me how to go about identifying which transmission I have? I understand that the 2500/3500 in that year was out of place because it was changing to 3rd gen so im a little confused as to what trans I need to actually start looking for. any help will be much appreciated.

Bill

20190215_143428.jpg

20190217_134751.jpg

20190215_143435.jpg

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I think you have the 46RE transmission now. If your wanting to swap to a manual you will either the need the NV3500 or NV4500 not sure if both manual transmissions will swap.

OP
OP
Bill Holbrook

Bill Holbrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
thanks, im planning on going under it tomorrow to see if I can get numbers off the trans. I have developed fears that mine may be going bad as well. its starting to have really long shifts now, the engine is revving way high then shifts at the last second and when it shifts its giving a nice little jerk in between.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Alot of times they just need to be serviced. Fluid and filter changed plus a band adjustments

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Also t56 is a option for you but will cost more. There is also a 4x4 version I believe. There are conversion kits you get to mate one to the 5.9 gasser. Route I plan on taking later on down the road.

OP
OP
Bill Holbrook

Bill Holbrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
ok so im about to do a fluid/filter job on tranny to hold over. wife is trying to get me to keep it automatic. I believe I have the 46re and am wanting to know if anyone has experience with the full service of this particular type ergo band adjustment/fluid amount. whats the best way to go about this. thanks to all!

OP
OP
Bill Holbrook

Bill Holbrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
also wanted to say this transmission is acting a little funny to me. its not slipping out of gear or anything but I have noticed that when im accelerating it is running the rpm`s up usually to around 3000 before it will shift into the next gear. and when running on flat surfaces it likes to keep shifting back a gear and running high rpm as well. is this a call for a band adjustment?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
A service would probably help it some. Yeah it's 46re.

Now would be a good time, if you can weld, to add a drain plug to the pan.

Service goes as follows:
Drop pan, change filter (3 screws, t25 torx if i remember right), adjust bands per service manual. Now, transmission builders have recommended to me going 1 full turn extra when doing the backing off portion if the trans is new, since yours is having a couple issues follow the factory service manual. Should be 72in/lbs and 1-7/8 back off for the front i think? Double check that. Rear should be similar but luckily you can download the factory service manual on this forum (it's great).

When reinstalling the pan, do NOT use any rtv. Good way to kill a trans. The rubber gaskets are preferred vs the cork. Use a tq wrench on the bolts, don't want to strip any threads, 13ft/lbs is all it is. Fill via the dipstick tube, it's gonna take awhile and you'll need a skinny funnel. Add about 5qts and start the truck then shift it through the gears slowly about 4 or 5 times to kinda warm it up and then leave it in neutral and running when you check. This will give you accurate fluid level.