2003 5.7 hemi performance rebuild insight needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Now my first question is, how hard would it be to just swap the engine directly into my truck? Doesn't it have something to do with the engine being offset in the 2003 instead of centered like the newer models?
Non-starter. Completely different engine. It would bolt in and to your trans, after that it's a no-go for a variety of reasons.

Second question, if I'm building the 03 block with 09 parts, what parts will I need to accommodate for them? I'll need a intake manifold adapter plate and I will need a car style timing cover to clear the intake and relocate the a/c & alternator right? I read a post where 1 of the a/c lines can be reused and bent into place but the other needs to be remade. I used to be an a/c tech apprentice so I can probably do that myself.
Car style timing cover will just cause you to rearrange your accessory drive for no reason because the manifold doesn't clear the temp sensor in the block. It would only help with making room for the TB, honestly if you're handy fabricating you can move the A/C compressor and alternator out of the way; people been doing this to 3rd gens for literal YEARS to put 6.1 intakes on (or you can just buy the kit). You don't need an intake manifold adapter plate to put the eagle intake on eagle heads, you need SPACERS to lift the manifold clear of the aforementioned temp sensor boss.

I will be using basically the entire top end from the 09, and rebuilding the block, but I don't know what kind of pistons and cam and stuff would compliment these new parts. I am also considering a slight bore in the cylinders so I can make sure they're all symmetrical and fresh surfaces. I am also leaning towards a cat and O2 delete so I can straight pipe out to the rear tires, so once again, I want a cam to compliment the pipes so it sounds decent and not stupid haha
That's where you need to talk to the vendor/builders like Inertia, HHP, MMX, etc. If you're using eagle heads, you'll need to decide what CR you want, then get pistons to match. If you're thinking boost down the road then everything needs to be forged and you don't want too high a static CR.

I also want to port the manifold and heads, but I guess it's not necessary, since it will all be matching 2009 parts, and all the ports are the same sizes and shape right? Should I also take the exhaust manifolds from the aspen? Will they even fit since my engine is off center? or should i spend a couple bucks on a set of headers that will once again complement the cam and straight pipe exhaust?
The Aspen manifolds will work just fine.

I wouldn't mind building this engine with boost as a potential option in the future without having to rebuild again. So that means I should go with forged rods and piston? Forged crank too?
Yes, see comment above. You can either go with a full aftermarket kit (then you could stroke it) or use a stock 6.1 crank (they are forged) with a set of matched rods & pistons.

I'll be replacing all the springs in the in the valves and replacing all the lifters as well. I heard the srt lifters have bigger and better bearings and fit, is this true and should I go out of my way to get them?
I think the last time I went looking at lifters, all non-MDS lifters are the same part number, at least 6.1 to Hellcat application wise.

Basically, for anyone who has the time and you were my shoes, what would you do from start to finish? What would be the best way to use this 2009 aspen in my 03 ram?
Convert to 2005 PCM/harness. Grab heads and intake manifold. Bracket the necessary accessories out of the way. Procure matching cam (I've got a KRC 210 waiting to go in). Put it all together and tune it. Honestly this is what is in the process of happening to my truck lol. My problem is, whenever I decide it's a good time to to tear it down, I need the truck lol.

And since I'll have an extra 5.7 block laying around, I could rebuild that and drop it in my 05 4.7 Durango couldn't I? Or should I just use the Durango as a backup transmission and rebuild that tranny for when I eventually blow up the one in my truck? Haha I could fix up the Durango, but it's pretty rusted out and needs a lot of body work compared to my ram.
You COULD, but then you have to do all the conversions to it (not drop in, plug and play)

Should I also take the computer from the 09 aspen? Or will it not work the same since it's a Chrysler SUV instead of a dodge truck? Either way I plan on picking up a tuner for it and will get a custom tune done for deletes and cam to take advantage of the upgrades.
No. You can't integrate a next gen CAN bus PCM into your PCI bus vehicle.

Speaking of deletes, I will have to get a egr delete and an MDS delete as well right? Or is it vvt delete? It's so confusing lol but that requires plugs for the holes the solenoids go in right? Then I just leave the plugs dangling.
If you convert to 05 PCM yes you will need EGR deleted from the tune. MDS is not a factor, neither is VVT.

Now that I am talking about wiring, will I be able to use my 03 harness on the 09 parts? Can I get away with, snipping those parts off at the scrapyard and soldering them in to my harness? Or is the 03 harness missing leads that I would need? Since I'm deleting a ton of stuff out anyways, it shouldn't matter because my block doesn't have any of those newer system.
Resounding no.

I should also mention that found another 5.7 from a 2013 ram, complete but torn apart for 700. Similar kms but newer. The difference is the aspen 09 5.7 is still installed in the vehicle and I can start it to make sure it runs and sounds good. 2013 came out of a ram when the timing chain broke. He got the engine swapped under warranty and was going to use it in another project, but never got around to it. Since it's torn apart I could inspect it for damages, and if I did go that route, what would I specifically be looking for? What sounds like the better deal? 2013 for $300 less than the 2009?

The 2009 aspen is being sold by a mechanic who bought it off a customer. He replaced the engine himself a few years ago and did all the maintenance up to this point, but after an accident the owner didn't want to fix it and sold it to them. He is also throwing in the aspen rads and fans, harnesses and all accessories, basically everything under the hood he can get rid of lol. Which reminds me that I also want to do the e-fan conversion in my truck and take some drain off my crank. I'll have to find out if I can use the fan or rad from the aspen if I choose that path.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Absolutely doesn't matter, because you cannot use the whole engine in your vehicle. So whichever one you wanna steal the heads and intake from, go for it.

OP
OP
D

DefiantRage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Non-starter. Completely different engine. It would bolt in and to your trans, after that it's a no-go for a variety of reasons.

Car style timing cover will just cause you to rearrange your accessory drive for no reason because the manifold doesn't clear the temp sensor in the block. It would only help with making room for the TB, honestly if you're handy fabricating you can move the A/C compressor and alternator out of the way; people been doing this to 3rd gens for literal YEARS to put 6.1 intakes on (or you can just buy the kit). You don't need an intake manifold adapter plate to put the eagle intake on eagle heads, you need SPACERS to lift the manifold clear of the aforementioned temp sensor boss.

That's where you need to talk to the vendor/builders like Inertia, HHP, MMX, etc. If you're using eagle heads, you'll need to decide what CR you want, then get pistons to match. If you're thinking boost down the road then everything needs to be forged and you don't want too high a static CR.

The Aspen manifolds will work just fine.

Yes, see comment above. You can either go with a full aftermarket kit (then you could stroke it) or use a stock 6.1 crank (they are forged) with a set of matched rods & pistons.

I think the last time I went looking at lifters, all non-MDS lifters are the same part number, at least 6.1 to Hellcat application wise.

Convert to 2005 PCM/harness. Grab heads and intake manifold. Bracket the necessary accessories out of the way. Procure matching cam (I've got a KRC 210 waiting to go in). Put it all together and tune it. Honestly this is what is in the process of happening to my truck lol. My problem is, whenever I decide it's a good time to to tear it down, I need the truck lol.

You COULD, but then you have to do all the conversions to it (not drop in, plug and play)

No. You can't integrate a next gen CAN bus PCM into your PCI bus vehicle.

If you convert to 05 PCM yes you will need EGR deleted from the tune. MDS is not a factor, neither is VVT.

Resounding no.

Absolutely doesn't matter, because you cannot use the whole engine in your vehicle. So whichever one you wanna steal the heads and intake from, go for it.

Thank you once again! So I'll get my hands on a 2005-2008 harness and take the 2009 aspen engine and exhaust Manifolds. I'm not very confident in my fab skills to make a bracket for the accessories, but i can't seem to find any online, maybe I'm just searching wrong. Same thing with the spacers for the intake manifold.

The spacers clear the temp sensor and the brackets relocate the accessories for the throttle body, but I could use 09+ car style timing cover instead of brackets right? Then I have room for TB and the spacers clear the temp sensor? I also want to remove the clutch fan and replace with e fan, make some room under the hood and clean it up a bit.

I'm probably going to grab another 03 block from the scrap yard for like 120 so I can start building it up and still have my truck to use.

I want to clean it up nice and give it a paint job. I need to figure out a decent color scheme to go with the white body. Since I'll be replacing my rear panels that are rusted and doing a tear down of my suspension and stuff, I want to clean that all up and paint it also.

What paints would you recommend so I can check out some colors? I'm almost think about the offset hemi orange racing stripe front to back with a chip and rust protecting trim along the bottom of my panels and wheel wells. I have heard good and bad about por15, because it can crack with temp differences and let moisture in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you once again! So I'll get my hands on a 2005-2008 harness and take the 2009 aspen engine and exhaust Manifolds. I'm not very confident in my fab skills to make a bracket for the accessories, but i can't seem to find any online, maybe I'm just searching wrong. Same thing with the spacers for the intake manifold.
Didn't look hard enough lol: http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-795-dodge-ram-61l-hemi-intake-adapter-kit.aspx
Inertia did these back in the early days but they don't really have a consumer base for them anymore since the 4th gen production was longer than the third gen and more people were modding 4th gens.

The spacers clear the temp sensor and the brackets relocate the accessories for the throttle body, but I could use 09+ car style timing cover instead of brackets right? Then I have room for TB and the spacers clear the temp sensor? I also want to remove the clutch fan and replace with e fan, make some room under the hood and clean it up a bit.
No you can't. You're not getting this, nothing outside the heads (with exhaust manifolds) and intake manifold from an eagle engine can be used on a pre-eagle. You literally CANNOT bolt an 09+ timing cover to an 03-08 block. The 09+ timing cover is designed for the extra girth on the front of the block housing all the VVT hardware, not to mention won't line up. The damper won't bolt to the crank and nothing will line up. The short block is quite literally a different engine.
pre-eagle (6.1 is the same way):
images_ePIM_original_HEMI_SBL__38723_zoom_w680_q90.jpg

Eagle/Apache/Hellcat
gregs-shortblock.png

Temp sensor boss was moved to make room for the VVT solenoid as well as providing room for the front of the manifold. Here is the crank snout difference, this doesn't include the different tone wheel it uses.

crank-sensor-wheel.jpg

You COULD use an 05-08 LX timing cover, but that would require you to totally rearrange your accessory drive and route extra wiring and A/C hoses as well as reroute your radiator hoses, as the inlet/outlet are different. This would give you TB clearance (as long as you converted to an electric fan) but you'd still need the spacers or you can take your chances trying to heat up the front of the manifold and push it in far enough; you run the risk of ******* up the manifold doing that though. This is how different those two accessory drives are, it's been done but you have to decide if it's worth it:

serpentine_57_61_001.jpg
81619-81783.jpg

Some 3rd gen frames have clearance issues with the A/C compressor. Chrisp2493 did it and didn't seem to have any issues with frame clearance on his 03. Optionally you could use a 6.1 intake manifold (this is what the clearance brackets were originally conceived for since that was the only available upgrade back in the day) since it is taller and you wouldn't need the spacers.

What paints would you recommend so I can check out some colors? I'm almost think about the offset hemi orange racing stripe front to back with a chip and rust protecting trim along the bottom of my panels and wheel wells. I have heard good and bad about por15, because it can crack with temp differences and let moisture in.

Only if you're going to have that much of a temp differential among contiguous body panels. Considering you want to use them along the bottom I don't think it'd be a problem. POR15 is usually near indestructible.

1dbcoleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi stroked to a 6.4
I have a 08 ram 4x4 mega cab we took the 5.7 then bored 30 over, this gets you closer to 400 cubs, get good rods, pistons, rings and ARP studs or bolts for everything use a 4.080 eagle crank. I used the 4.050 crank I should have used the 080.I kept the 5.7 heads there didn't seem to be the value in swapping them. Clean them up with mild porting and determine the springs needed for the cam you get. The throttle body on stock intake is plenty of air for 93 octane. Stainless ceramic coated shorty headers work great. The 545rfe will always be your problem. 4 transmission rebuilds in a year. My truck is 7200lbs but it will smoke the tires as far as I want.

1dbcoleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi stroked to a 6.4
Yep after 08 it all changed on those 5.7s

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine