2003 Dodge Ram 2500 wont shift out of 4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, I'm having problems with my truck not disengaging 4wd. It's a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 laramie with the 5.7 hemi. I was backing up a trailer and put it in 4wd his with the wheels at full lock. I looked down and saw that 4wd wasn't engaged from the switch and the light isn't appearing on the dash but I can hear the U-joints binding. I try to put it in 4wd, it blinks then goes back to 2wd but it's still stuck in 4wd. I've tried reversing and going back, unplugging the t-case motors, and releasing the pressure in the vacuum lines and I'm stuck. I'm currently camping right now and don't know what to do. BTW it's the shift on the fly electric switch. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey all, I'm having problems with my truck not disengaging 4wd. It's a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 laramie with the 5.7 hemi. I was backing up a trailer and put it in 4wd his with the wheels at full lock. I looked down and saw that 4wd wasn't engaged from the switch and the light isn't appearing on the dash but I can hear the U-joints binding. I try to put it in 4wd, it blinks then goes back to 2wd but it's still stuck in 4wd. I've tried reversing and going back, unplugging the t-case motors, and releasing the pressure in the vacuum lines and I'm stuck. I'm currently camping right now and don't know what to do. BTW it's the shift on the fly electric switch. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I would suspect a failed TCCM or Transfer Case Control Module. If you are unable to get it to shift back in to 2WD with the switch and the t-case motor you can remove the motor from the side of the transfer case and manually rotate the shift lever counterclockwise to the forward most position and leave the transfer case motor off until you get home to do some further diagnostics.

OP
OP
Emmanuel

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suspect a failed TCCM or Transfer Case Control Module. If you are unable to get it to shift back in to 2WD with the switch and the t-case motor you can remove the motor from the side of the transfer case and manually rotate the shift lever counterclockwise to the forward most position and leave the transfer case motor off until you get home to do some further diagnostics.
Thank you. Last night I disconnected the battery in hopes of it resetting itself and to my amaze it fixed itself but I know it'll come back if I engage 4x4 again. I'll use this advice to get me by if I have to use it again or if it switches by accident until I get it fixed. Again thank you very much.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you. Last night I disconnected the battery in hopes of it resetting itself and to my amaze it fixed itself but I know it'll come back if I engage 4x4 again. I'll use this advice to get me by if I have to use it again or if it switches by accident until I get it fixed. Again thank you very much.
No worries. Glad it shifted back in to 2WD. I was going to say that if the transfer case was stuck in 4HI you could still drive and pull your trailer without any issues. Glad it worked out for you.