2004 4.7 4x4 - P2074

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whit30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Miles - 148, 513

Okay so, issue between the MAP and TPS/vacuum leak issue.
Pulled the code with cheap scanner and key dance.

Symptoms - Truck straight up died at around 35 mph, radio etc still working normally. Sometimes sluggish acceleration from stops, or delayed shifting. It almost seems like it's still in overdrive. Also, irregular RPM fluctuations like I'm revving it (but I'm not).

Replacements - Intake hoses, pcv and hoses, tps, map. Also spark plugs, oil, and filter because it needed it.

I did some of this on my own, problem went away for like 3 days then happened again. Took it to a shop, they did the rest. Or well they supposedly did the rest. The problem happened again two weeks later, so on my day off I took everything apart again and found one of the intake elbows with a 1 inch crack...just taped over. Replaced it.

So here I am now, problem solved this week (mostly) until last night. The sluggish acceleration, weird shifting started again. So I put it in park and just played with the brake pedal. And I"m starting to think the vacuum hose to the power brake booster might need replacing (maybe the whole system). The RPM's jump about 300 when I fully push the brake pedal all the way down and release. Anyway, on my days off I'm going to check the whole system out. It hasn't straight up died again and the RPM fluctuations are gone.

Why am I here? Did a lot of searching online in regards to this particular code and it doesn't seem like most people actually solve the problem. So, even though it hasn't stalled or died again yet and maybe the main issue is gone. I'd like to see if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions of things to check in case this doesn't fully solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
W

Whit30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vacuum hose from the Brake booster is good, pulled the check valve (it's good), and tested the diaphragm (good). Did the whole range of checks for the brake booster itself, even though I wasn't experiencing stiff braking issues (spongy if anything - mc/brake line issue maybe). Held it in, started engine gave a little. 2 min run, brake pressed, turned off engine, and no movement while foot still pressing brake. 2 min run, turned off engine. Pressed three times. Each had less distance to the floor. For the check valve I just took it off made sure I could't blow into it and that i could blow/suck air out. The hose itself is solid and the fittings good.

Basically what's happening is if I come to a very gentle stop. Like 300 feet+ ( I didn't measure it - probably upsetting people behind me...oh well) with the brake pressed in only at 1/3rd it downshifts normally and has good acceleration at take off. If I brake more aggressively than that, it doesn't seem to down shift and couldn't even pull itself into the garage when I got home. Which unfortunately, the fluctuating idling started again right as I put it into park and was getting ready to test the brake booster.

Took all the hoses off again and the pcv is clogged to heck with tan/creamy foam which I'm assuming is from the short drive/condensation (only a 10 mile round trip to work). There was enough of it in there that you could barely see down the shaft (into the oil fill) though. Hardly any in the hose. Cleaned that out again, rechecked all other hoses/fittings into the manifold looks fine. There's no EGR on this one so it's not a problem there. Might be fuel getting in there though...but going to go through the less serious issues first.

Mid thought speculation* I'm starting to wonder if it's a solenoid issue with the transmission but I haven't had any other other codes pop. There's always a possibility that the PCM is failing but I would imagine I would be getting other strange issues.

Anyway, going to take the manifold back off and recheck everything there as well (check/clean the TB). Supposedly the shop did all that too. Noticed tonight that they broke one of the hex bolt/screws to the map sensor (even though I had already replaced that). Might as well recheck the spark plugs and injectors since I'll have to take the rail off anyway. Haven't decided the best way to check that small T-line from the brake booster check valve to what I assume is the cruise control. Probably just going to buy a new check valve, since it comes with a stopper (probably could just use my thumb). Might as well replace the gas cap while I'm at it.

After that, well just from re-reading my own paragraphs there's probably several things that need some maintenance. MC/brake line check, possibility of fuel getting into the oil, I've replace the camshaft sensor before, but from looking at the crankshaft senor tonight..I'm pretty sure it's the original. Could replace the o2 sensors for giggles, but I figure I'd be getting different codes for most of this if that was the issue. Lastly, the only thing I think I've left out. Is that the shop did pull a different code than I was able to. Something to do with the TPS, but I'll be ****** if I can remember what it is. That's been replaced, and since at the time the P2074 already suggests an issue with the TPS I ignored it. Of course they didn't put that information on the billing slip either. Totally my fault in hindsight.

Just a hobbyist so feel free to yell at me if I'm missing something easy or acting stupidly through-out all of this.

Edit - just another thought, with the problem sort of fixing itself after each repair. The battery is disconnected and the PCM takes time to finish up the drive cycle/reset the monitors. Could that be a clue to a failing PCM if the problem occurs again when the monitors are finally reset?

SD4019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
Have you had any luck? I’m having a similar issue. I have an ‘04 4.7 w/4x4. Just bought the truck as a cash truck. I replaced TPS, O2 idle sensor, plugs and pcv. Truck runs ok but will die occasionally when pulling into a parking lot. I’ve noticed mine does it more often when the tank is full of fuel. I thought it might be a clogged egr until I’m learning there isn’t one for this year model. I was wondering if it’s not something to do with the fuel pump.

OP
OP
W

Whit30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just getting on here to let you know I'm not ignoring you. Been pulling extra hours during the holidays and they're training some people next week - so same deal there. Long story short...I haven't gotten to it yet and financed a little eco car in the meantime so I'm not having to borrow someone else ride to work. I'll update this in a week or two when I actually get the parts back on. Replacing the gasket, grommets and the alternator. I'll explain more at a later date. I'd start with running the codes on yours if you got a CEL though.

Steve Mizar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been having the exact same problems with my 04, I replaced the PCU, twice, all the sensors and had the IPM rebuilt with no luck..