2005 1500 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have searched everywhere and I have only found RC to make an affordable lift kit for the 2005 4WD model, is my googlefu failing me or are my options really only 1.2k or 3k for a BDS lift. I know about the torsion keys and I actually have a set but everyone I've talked to has told me to steer clear. Anyone have any suggestions or previous knowledge? I'm also not opposed to doing a body lift and then saving a bit to do an actual suspension lift. I have only owned this truck for about 3 weeks. In my previous builds lift kits have been super easy and semi cheap to do, but I'm getting the opposite vibe with this truck.

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Our 1500s are in a different world for lifting because of our independent front suspension. All you're getting in that 1200 to 2000 dollar kit ate knuckles (where your hub and rotor attach) that hang lower to give you lift. The rears are done by blocks which can be done by themselves. Ask yourself how much you want to spend and if it's worth it. After I discovered all the lift was were extended knuckles and not extended coils like the 2500 and 3500 where you actually get more suspension travel, I just decided to crank the stock keys as far as they would go within proper spec on the alignment and 2" blocks in the rear, plus a 3" body lift. All of this costs around 600 in parts. With 35" tires it's a pretty decent amount of lift and looks just like a 6-7" suspension lift.

OP
OP
Jake2005

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our 1500s are in a different world for lifting because of our independent front suspension. All you're getting in that 1200 to 2000 dollar kit ate knuckles (where your hub and rotor attach) that hang lower to give you lift. The rears are done by blocks which can be done by themselves. Ask yourself how much you want to spend and if it's worth it. After I discovered all the lift was were extended knuckles and not extended coils like the 2500 and 3500 where you actually get more suspension travel, I just decided to crank the stock keys as far as they would go within proper spec on the alignment and 2" blocks in the rear, plus a 3" body lift. All of this costs around 600 in parts. With 35" tires it's a pretty decent amount of lift and looks just like a 6-7" suspension lift.

The body lift is where I was heading. I have rough country torsion keys should I throw those on there and then crank the keys? Or just stick with my stock keys. Also do you perhaps have an opinion on a decent body lift? One more question, I can add blocks to my stock leaf springs?

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The body lift is where I was heading. I have rough country torsion keys should I throw those on there and then crank the keys? Or just stick with my stock keys. Also do you perhaps have an opinion on a decent body lift? One more question, I can add blocks to my stock leaf springs?

Return the rc keys and get your money back. Aftermarket keys are half a myth, they will crank you up higher than stock keys, but the acceptable alignment camber/caster is all the same. Once you go past that number you're eating your tires. So while the aftermarket keys will go higher, you're still limited by your alignment. The stock keys will get you to the max lift permitted by your alignment.

Performance accessories makes the best body lifts. The cheaper kits lack necessary parts that the performance accessories kit comes with. There are a lot of things that need to be extended with that body lift. Certain accessories in the engine bay, the steering linkage, the shift lever for the 4x4, the gas tank, all need to be extended with the lift. Don't let people on here fool you into thinking it's easy, it's not. My local shop who never treats me unfairly told me it'd be 750 dollars to install it and that was being nice. I was floored. Suspension connection has the best deals I've seen on body lifts. So save yourself a buck or two versus other sites. Beyond that, the only way to save some coin is to find a friend that loves you and is willing to help you tackle the all weekend job it will be in your garage for no more payment than dinner and plenty of beer. Other than that, expect to shell out at a shop. I have not gotten around to installing mine yet.

Yes, you can put blocks on your rear leafs no problem. Rear blocks are the easiest thing to do out of all this. Order high quality cast blocks and u-bolts from somewhere reputable like 4wheelparts. Do not, I repeat, do not buy junk from ebay, amazon or parts stores like autozone/pep/oreilly. They crush easily and will end in a nightmare. Look up cheap lift block failure stories. Blocks and u-bolts from 4wheelparts will be ~150 smackers.

On my 03 4x4 quad cab, with the keys cranked to the max within alignment, 2" blocks in the rear, and 35" mts, I have around 20 inches of ground clearance from the ground to the center of the body of my truck. Not bad.

OP
OP
Jake2005

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Return the rc keys and get your money back. Aftermarket keys are half a myth, they will crank you up higher than stock keys, but the acceptable alignment camber/caster is all the same. Once you go past that number you're eating your tires. So while the aftermarket keys will go higher, you're still limited by your alignment. The stock keys will get you to the max lift permitted by your alignment.

Performance accessories makes the best body lifts. The cheaper kits lack necessary parts that the performance accessories kit comes with. There are a lot of things that need to be extended with that body lift. Certain accessories in the engine bay, the steering linkage, the shift lever for the 4x4, the gas tank, all need to be extended with the lift. Don't let people on here fool you into thinking it's easy, it's not. My local shop who never treats me unfairly told me it'd be 750 dollars to install it and that was being nice. I was floored. Suspension connection has the best deals I've seen on body lifts. So save yourself a buck or two versus other sites. Beyond that, the only way to save some coin is to find a friend that loves you and is willing to help you tackle the all weekend job it will be in your garage for no more payment than dinner and plenty of beer. Other than that, expect to shell out at a shop.

Yes, you can put blocks on your rear leafs no problem. Rear blocks are the easiest thing to do out of all this. Order high quality cast blocks and u-bolts from somewhere reputable like 4wheelparts. Do not, I repeat, do not buy aluminum junk from ebay, amazon or parts stores like autozone/pep/oreilly. They crush easily and will end in a nightmare. Look up cheap lift block failure stories.

I'm very relieved to have some first hand knowledge! The performance accessories kit is the one I was looking at. My dad and I do most of our work together in or front yard, last year we lifted his f250 with RC's 6.5 inch lift so I'm hoping it shouldn't be to big of a deal. About cranking the keys, is it really as simple as taking the tires off and jacking the front up and just twisting two bolts? And as far as cranking the bolts do I just go until it can't go anymore or is there somewhere I should measure to gauge how far I should go? My dad is out of town but I'm fed up with my stink bug look so I'm wondering if I can do this alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jake2005

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm very relieved to have some first hand knowledge! The performance accessories kit is the one I was looking at. My dad and I do most of our work together in or front yard, last year we lifted his f250 with RC's 6.5 inch lift so I'm hoping it shouldn't be to big of a deal. About cranking the keys, is it really as simple as taking the tires off and jacking the front up and just twisting two bolts? And as far as cranking the bolts do I just go until it can't go anymore or is there somewhere I should measure to gauge how far I should go? My dad is out of town but I'm fed up with my stink bug look so I'm wondering if I can do this alone.

Also the RC keys came with the truck the P/O didn't put them on and just gave them to me.

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Honestly I'd just have the shop doing the alignment crank the keys. Make sure they are a good all around shop and not just an alignment and oil change spot.

You might crank them too far and then the guy will need to reduce it to get the alignment within spec. If he's going to fool with the keys regardless I wouldn't waste my time with them at home.

OP
OP
Jake2005

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly I'd just have the shop doing the alignment crank the keys. Make sure they are a good all around shop and not just an alignment and oil change spot.

You might crank them too far and then the guy will need to reduce it to get the alignment within spec. If he's going to fool with the keys regardless I wouldn't waste my time with them at home.

Alright, I have talked to our normal guy who does our 4x4 vehicle (some shops don't like the wide tires and send us away) alignments and he was interested in seeing the keys but I trust your opinion on the keys as they do seem counter-intuitive and I'll just ask him to get my truck level.

Can I get by without new shocks with just the torsion lift? My plan is to torsion lift->Fox2.0/Bilstein5100s->Body Lift and Rear Blocks. As I work part time and still want to maintain some semblance of a social life so these mods maybe spread out I'm just wondering if I can get by without buying new shocks right now. Sorry to pelt you with all these questions but you are the first guy to respond and you seem to know what you are talking about so I just want to pick your brain a bit.

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's no problem man, I have only been here a short time but it didn't take me long to figure out that not much gets done around here. Most of the time nobody responds unless they are just trying to be a ball breaker and be smart assed. One of the most dead forums I've ever experienced.

With the torsion lift and rear blocks you won't need extended shocks. If your current shocks are fine, then no need to change them.

Only once you go with a full suspension lift would you need extended shocks. The extra length you need would be measured and determined by you or the shop doing the install.

You'd need to crunch numbers and identify before and afters. Most parts store shocks are around 12" max length. So if you measure the body of your shocks and they are 9 or 10", and you're going with a 6 or 8" suspension kit, you'd need to get a ~18" shock to correspond to that extra height.

OP
OP
Jake2005

Jake2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have too noticed the deadness, hopefully it will get better if I get my name out there. Fingers crossed.

Again I appreciate all the knowledge you are dispensing. Answered a lot of questions I had. Thank you.

Hemipig

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have too noticed the deadness, hopefully it will get better if I get my name out there. Fingers crossed.

Again I appreciate all the knowledge you are dispensing. Answered a lot of questions I had. Thank you.

Not a problem bud. Also note that if you crank your keys all the way your ride will become more stiff and bouncy

Dirtwheels78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Hey guys I just bought a low mile 2005 Ram 1500 4x4 and have found zilch natta nothing on lifts like what you all just shared. I appreciate you all and may end up cranking my torsion bars up for the lift and do a 3" body lift also. Seems like the most practical lift and I'm assuming with an alingment the front end and tires will have the same life span? Or will cranking my torsion bars put stress on the front end? Right now my truck is so raked its silly looking - Needs lift and tires! Thanks much Fellas.

IMG_9493.JPG

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Don't be cheap if you're gonna lift it do it right the last thing you want is to finish the cheap lift hate the ride quality then spend more money than you would have doing it right the first time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have searched everywhere and I have only found RC to make an affordable lift kit for the 2005 4WD model, is my googlefu failing me or are my options really only 1.2k or 3k for a BDS lift. I know about the torsion keys and I actually have a set but everyone I've talked to has told me to steer clear. Anyone have any suggestions or previous knowledge? I'm also not opposed to doing a body lift and then saving a bit to do an actual suspension lift. I have only owned this truck for about 3 weeks. In my previous builds lift kits have been super easy and semi cheap to do, but I'm getting the opposite vibe with this truck.
https://www.realtruck.com/lift-kits/dodge/ram-1500/2005/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

atlas750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I bought my truck about 4 months ago it had the 6 inch RD lift installed already. I knew nothing about lift kits at that time. Rides good but rough it think (nothing to compare it to). i like the looks and hope to get it out on some trails this summer here in Colorado. This is what it looks like

Truck 1.JPG

atlas750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have Rancho shocks on it now(came that way). I wonder if changing them out would give it a better ride. Any recommendations?