2005 Ram 1500 4.7L Blown Head Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So after all my replacing of cooling system parts I have come to realize I am almost sure one of the head gasket(s) are blown.

Parts Replaced:
Water Pump
Thermostat
Rad Cap
Clutch Fan
Temp Sensor

Troubleshooting Done:
1. Noticed coolant all over the engine around the water pump. Replaced the water pump.
2. Ran truck for a while still started to overheat.
3. Replaced the thermostat.
4. Still overheats but takes a lot longer.
5. Noticed coolant around the rad cap.
6. Replaced the cap no more coolant coming out.
7. Pressure checked the cooling system to 16psi.
8. Truck still overheating so I replaced the Fan Clutch.
9. Truck still overheats but only does so on a hot day while idling with the ac fan on.

Today I went to work, when I parked the truck I could here like a wizzing sound like air escaping opened the hood and it sounded like it was coming from the new rad cap. Friend notices there is a bunch of burnt white stuff on the exhaust tip and tells me he almost 100% sure a head gasket is blown.

I did use a compression checker before I bought the truck but didn't have time to do all 8 just did the easy ones to get too without pulling a bunch of parts of the truck.

I am going to hook up the compressor to each cylinder tonight and figure out which cylinder is leaking. If it is a blown gasket will I make it worse with the compression check with an air compressor?

Last edited:

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it's a blown head gasket, you need to replace it regardless so who cares if it makes it worse?

OP
OP
RamCreeper

RamCreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it's a blown head gasket, you need to replace it regardless so who cares if it makes it worse?

True I ask because I have to drive it for another week or two while I wait on the heads to come in. I am going to order the loaded heads hopefully make it a weekend or two project rather than waiting on a machine shop to get them back to me.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good call on replacing the heads while you're at it. I don't think doing a compression check will make anything worse, just reveal which cylinder has the problem.

OP
OP
RamCreeper

RamCreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did a leak down test on the motor and all checks good on every cylinder. I even opened the rad cap to see if I would get some bubbles but I got nothing. I am so lost now I think the only thing I have not replaced is the temp sensor, glad I hadn't ordered the heads yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357