2006 1500 4x4 trying to engage by itself only when driving over 50mph?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMBC360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello all, my dodge starting having issues with the 4x4 recently in that it when driving over 50mph the 4x4 engagement light starts to blink and I can hear the clicking up front of the attempted engagement of the front axle. At this point I have to slow down quick and pull over and that that will usually clear it and at the worst I have to completely stop and move the switch to engage and then back to 2wd which sometimes seems to work and at others seems to take a long time to do anything. However there are no lights or codes, and the system does operate like normal if at idle and engaging 4x4.

So there are 3 main components that to me are in question, the switch, the computer and motors that engage the transfer case and front differential. However this only happens when driving over 50mph so I don't believe the switch or encoder motors are the issue because I see dash lights when this happens so its not like a rouge thing. What I don't understand if the computer has some kinda safety interlocks to prevent engagement at highway speeds? Or does this system completely rely on that switch position and nothing more? Bad ground? Bad pins ?any thoughts thanks

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant say i have ever heard of this happening have someone with a good scanner scan it to see if 4x4 is throwing codes. I would check all wiring going to tcase aswell as behind switch I would also Just replace the switch they are not expensive.