2006 5.7 hemi starting/stalling issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was driving great a couple of weeks ago, then it got a check engine light for a misfire P0305, so it had a misfire in cylinder 5, replaced the spark plugs, fired right up, was better on gas than before
Went to start it the next day and it moved but didn’t like any kind of throttle, if it went near 2000rpm it would almost choke and try to die
Then eventually it wouldn’t start without immediately stalling out

So I took the throttle body out and cleaned it and it could fire up again, but it was back to doing the odd thing of trying to stall if using any gas, so I left it to idle for about 10 minutes, that seemed to fix it, as it could drive normal again

I went to move the truck this morning and it was driving fine, it got stuck in deep snow so I got out and got ice down and shovelled. Now it’s starting up but stalling and dying quickly. What could be the issue?
Do I need a new throttle body?
Is it a clogged catalytic converter?
Bad battery? Although that’s relatively new
Starter is new
Alternator is new
Fuel pump is new
Has about half a tank of gas
Truck has 323,000km on it so it’s getting up in age
I’m not exactly a mechanic, I can follow stuff I find online, but I’m pretty well stumped at this point

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked your fuel pressure? It's possible that it could be the fuel pump. Before throwing any parts at it, go to your local AutoZone or O'Reilly Auto Parts and rent a fuel pressure gauge. Hook that up to the fuel rail, start the truck and find out what the pressure is reading. It should be between 44 and 54 PSI. When you shut the truck off, the pressure should not drop. Be mindful that when you put the pressure tester on, some fuel will squirt out.

OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We don’t have anything like that
Have you checked your fuel pressure? It's possible that it could be the fuel pump. Before throwing any parts at it, go to your local AutoZone or O'Reilly Auto Parts and rent a fuel pressure gauge. Hook that up to the fuel rail, start the truck and find out what the pressure is reading. It should be between 44 and 54 PSI. When you shut the truck off, the pressure should not drop. Be mindful that when you put the pressure tester on, some fuel will squirt out.
We don’t have anything like that here in Nova Scotia, that’s a good idea though

Tjaytogo3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8
Was driving great a couple of weeks ago, then it got a check engine light for a misfire P0305, so it had a misfire in cylinder 5, replaced the spark plugs, fired right up, was better on gas than before
Went to start it the next day and it moved but didn’t like any kind of throttle, if it went near 2000rpm it would almost choke and try to die
Then eventually it wouldn’t start without immediately stalling out

So I took the throttle body out and cleaned it and it could fire up again, but it was back to doing the odd thing of trying to stall if using any gas, so I left it to idle for about 10 minutes, that seemed to fix it, as it could drive normal again

I went to move the truck this morning and it was driving fine, it got stuck in deep snow so I got out and got ice down and shovelled. Now it’s starting up but stalling and dying quickly. What could be the issue?
Do I need a new throttle body?
Is it a clogged catalytic converter?
Bad battery? Although that’s relatively new
Starter is new
Alternator is new
Fuel pump is new
Has about half a tank of gas
Truck has 323,000km on it so it’s getting up in age
I’m not exactly a mechanic, I can follow stuff I find online, but I’m pretty well stumped at this point
The fuse box(TIPM) History of issues! Also fuel pump relay issues.

For $59 , you can monitor(with a LED) if your fuel is flaking!! Get it!!

Ebay sells the bypass relay kit $59. 90% sure, this is your problem. My South Jersey dealer charged my $750, $450, $900. Then they said all fuel injectors bad $2000! I towed my truck from there to a local guy. He installed the kit. No wire cutting!! These dealers know the problem (know the cheat fix) and rob us!!!! A crime!!! Get the news out $59!!

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Tjaytogo3 - a link to the item on eBay that you are talking about might be helpful to the OP.