2006 Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab rear end clunk noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billsfaninfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 SRT 10
Engine
8.3L V10
This is automatic with 31K miles. Only at low speeds and rpm's, I'm getting a clunk noise after a shift which I believe is coming from the rear end. It does it downshifting too but not that often. It doesn't happen when she runs cold but only after 10 miles of driving. When I accelerate up to 30ish mph, and take my foot off the gas pedal I hear the same clunk noise. When I floor it or give it a minimum of 40% throttle I never hear it. The tranny shifts perfectly with no problems whatsoever. I have only had the truck for about a year and put 3K miles on it. I brought it to a reputable Dodge dealer. I met the mechanic he was excited to work on it. I took him for a drive and he heard the clunking. He wanted to open the rear end, take a look at it and change the fluid. He found nothing wrong. He did notice my springs were a little loose, they needed about a half turn to tighten. He also looked at the tranny and bands, U joints etc. Nothing wrong at all. This 20yr Dodge mechanic said he has never worked on an Srt10 but has worked on the same V10 and the same transmission. He also stated Dodge, especially the older ones are known for the clunck aka driveshaft slack etc. He hooked up the computer to it, diagnosed the tranny etc. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The D60 under that thing is pretty stout (I have one in my truck). Check your carrier bearing (middle of driveshaft), that may be where your unwanted movement is coming from.

OP
OP
billsfaninfl

billsfaninfl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 SRT 10
Engine
8.3L V10
totally forgot about this post, my apologies fellas! Had these things checked and still getting the clunk?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check motor and transmission mounts.