2006 Ram 1500 5.7 Rear Differential Failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teslacoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2006 Ram 4x2 5.7 with 237K. Rear diff was serviced a while back and the shop owner showed me a piece of a C-clip he found inside the differential. He told me he didn't know how much longer it had until it needed a rebuild. I just left it alone because it wasn't failing, but now the rear end is starting to get real noisy. It sounds like a hollow metallic whining noise that is constant, and increases with speed. Definitely annoying on the freeway. Also, I am getting clunking at times around turns, coming from the rear end. Sounds like the rear axle shifts just a few mm or 2 when that happens.

My question is, what would the best option for parts be to rebuild the Diff? I am assuming I have a Corporate 9.25 rear end with a 3.55 gear ratio, but I am not entirely sure. I see there is a difference in rear ends where some trucks of my year have square axle flanges and some have round flanges. Mine has square flanges. I'm not sure of the difference in terms of the specs of those rear axles. Looking for a place to start as far as the ring and pinion gears, or swapping in an entire rear axle. Any help would be appreciated.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Entire rear swap is the easiest.
car-part.com is a good place to search for used parts.

Rebuild is possible, but might get pretty pricey if the damage is severe. Could be as simple (not really simple) as all new bearings, to needing bearings, carrier, gears, etc.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea just find a used rear put it in change the oil and move on not to hard of a job way easier then a rebuild.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I have a rear end in one of my vehicles that just has a bearing or 2 go bad I rebuild them myself.
If I see gear damage I hit the junkyard for a replacement unit.