2011 5.7 Hemi motor swap for a 2017 5.7 Hemi motor misfire

Hi everyone I’m new to the forum. I own a 2011 Ram quad cab with a 5.7 Hemi motor. I bought it for a

• Will it work- yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will it work - no

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum. I own a 2011 Ram quad cab with a 5.7 Hemi motor. I bought it for a reasonable price knowing that it had a misfire. I did not know that the lifter had been stuck and wore out the camshaft on the 5th cylinder. I later learned that this is a common issue with the 2011 motor. I had bought all the parts to fix it and than realized how much work it would be to to do the repair. Than you have to worry about the metal shavings that wore off of the camshaft. So I’ve decided to go the motor swap route instead. I found a 2017 motor with 28,000 on it with e everything still attached to it except for the alternator which I already have on my motor and is brand new so not a big deal. The wire harness that is on the 2017 motor says that it has a cut in it. I’m going to assume that I would need my 2011 harness for it to match up to my truck anyway because the 2017 harness I’m sure is made for the newer computer. My question is if it’s a simple swap with the harness change or is there more to it? Anyone that could help me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm going to venture and say you'll probably have to use the 2017 motor as a "long block". Pull all the electronics, wiring and sensors off your 2011. One thing that you'll have to check is the crank and cam position sensor tone rings, they have probably changed tooth count and will not work with your old ECM.
A rebuilt long block might be a better route as there will be a warranty. You would have to look at the numbers for both and weigh your options.

OP
OP
R

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I already have purchased the 2017 motor. I bought it for $1600 which is a great price especially for delivery included. It has 28,000 miles on it so I thought I did good. I kinda figured that I would have to do what you said and put all of my electrical stuff on the 2017 motor. Not that big of a deal considering they will both be out of the truck at the same time. Thanks for your time and help bud.

OP
OP
R

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are right the tone rings on the crank shaft has changed and the 2017 motor that I purchased was a waste. I’m selling it for $400 more than I paid for it so not that bad. But I found out the hard way that the Hemi 5.7 is a total ************* motor. I tried to buy a new set of lifters to rebuild the top half of my motor. Luckily I was able to find a set of 4 to just do a basic repair. There’s a shortage of lifters across the country because they are all freezing up and destroying the camshaft. So I’m sorry to say that I will not be purchasing any more mopar products again. I absolutely love the Ram Laramie but can’t find myself gambling on the chance that in essence the motor is a lathe that carves up camshafts. Dodge is not doing a recall on the motor because they would probably go bankrupt. Sad to say that I am going to now buy a Ford F-150 Platinum. Ford might have exhaust manifold gasket problems here and there. But it’s a helluva lot cheaper and easier to repair than a camshaft replacement and valve lifters.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off sorry to hear about your issue with your truck and experiencing the common camshaft/lifter issue. However to say the entire 5.7hemi engine is a total PoS is a stretch. It is a solid engine when maintained, who knows what the previous owner did to it and how long he let the oil change intervals go, what oil was used, etc.

Honestly your best bet at this point since it seems you have money to throw around is look into an aftermarket cam from a vendor like Moes performance, or jay Greene and do MDS lifter delete and call it a day.

If you think you have problems now with your ram I suggest you do a little reading before jumping into a Ford and read the plethora of issues they are having. Every single manufacturer will have issues that’s just how it goes.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Can you not repair the damaged wires? Unless it is a large number of wires that have been sliced, it can't be that hard to splice them back together and heat shrink the connections.

OP
OP
R

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off sorry to hear about your issue with your truck and experiencing the common camshaft/lifter issue. However to say the entire 5.7hemi engine is a total PoS is a stretch. It is a solid engine when maintained, who knows what the previous owner did to it and how long he let the oil change intervals go, what oil was used, etc.

Honestly your best bet at this point since it seems you have money to throw around is look into an aftermarket cam from a vendor like Moes performance, or jay Greene and do MDS lifter delete and call it a day.

If you think you have problems now with your ram I suggest you do a little reading before jumping into a Ford and read the plethora of issues they are having. Every single manufacturer will have issues that’s just how it goes.

OP
OP
R

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have purchased every part that I need to repair the motor. There is a nationwide problem with the valve lifters and camshafts. I’m fixing the basic problem and dumping the truck. If you go on YouTube and search valve lifter failure on the 5.7 motor you can see that it’s an epidemic. Mopar should technically recall the motor for proper fixing of the problem. The problem is that mopar would probably go chapter 11 if they did. So basically they are getting away with making a motor that is not a reliable motor. Fords have an exhaust manifold gasket problem. I’m going to say that the repair for an exhaust repair is going to be around $300-500. A helluva lot cheaper than rebuilding the top half of the motor. Not to mention all the metal fragments that have ran through the motor at this point. I was dead on locked to purchase a 2013-2016 Laramie longhorn but after this I’m gonna to change my decision to a F-150 platinum.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have purchased every part that I need to repair the motor. There is a nationwide problem with the valve lifters and camshafts. I’m fixing the basic problem and dumping the truck. If you go on YouTube and search valve lifter failure on the 5.7 motor you can see that it’s an epidemic. Mopar should technically recall the motor for proper fixing of the problem. The problem is that mopar would probably go chapter 11 if they did. So basically they are getting away with making a motor that is not a reliable motor. Fords have an exhaust manifold gasket problem. I’m going to say that the repair for an exhaust repair is going to be around $300-500. A helluva lot cheaper than rebuilding the top half of the motor. Not to mention all the metal fragments that have ran through the motor at this point. I was dead on locked to purchase a 2013-2016 Laramie longhorn but after this I’m gonna to change my decision to a F-150 platinum.

I am well aware of the issue. But again you have to think out of all those people out there with the cam/lifter issue, how many of them changed their oils not only at correct intervals, but with the correct oil/filter for our engines. There’s a huge post with proof showing that running PUP/redline oil with a royal purple filter will keep these engines running strong and save the camshaft.

And I would do a lot more reading on the fords before you purchase, exhaust gaskets don’t even scratch the surface with issues the last generation of F150’s have been experiencing

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rastabass, someone on this forum did his own internet research and came up with the conclusion that considering how many 5.7 motors are out there, and the fact that you usually only hear from the people that are having problems and\or are forum members, the realistic chance you are going to have lifter\cam issues, if you are giving your truck reasonable maintenance, comes out to about 1 in 1000. I do understand and am really sorry for your frustration and pain, but take that info. into consideration and for what it's worth.....

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
What i find interesting is the truck was bought used, (no idea on mileage or maintenance history), AND with a known problem, and somehow it's the manufacturers fault?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
What i find interesting is the truck was bought used, (no idea on mileage or maintenance history), AND with a known problem, and somehow it's the manufacturers fault?

Our society is becoming extremely lazy and quick to blame while never taking responsibility. It’s a cam swap, there are manuals and video everywhere that basically change your diaper too, where is the easier button?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Make sure you buy a 5.3 GM then,they have the same issues,broken manifold bolts and wiped cam lobes to,lol.

OP
OP
R

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off I bought the truck in the condition that it’s in for $7500 with 140,000 on the clock. I had owned an 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 for 3 years and fixed up the body on it and sold it afterwards and purchased the 2011 Ram after. I love the Ram truck and I’m just frustrated.
With that out of the way. I have a question for you. Have you ever heard of the MDS solenoid braking and staying off sending the misfire code and all of the symptoms of a blown valve lifter and camshaft wipe out? I have just been told to research this.

OP
OP
R

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I have brought my truck to a engine shop. They are pulling the tone ring off of the crankshaft changing the flywheel, injectors and using my upper and lower intake. My wire harness will work and my truck will be running again with a late model low mileage motor. I’m going to use it for a few months and sell it and purchase the truck that I really want. That is a Ram 1500 Laramie Big Horn diesel! The Cummins Diesel motor is a fukn tank and the Laramie Big Horn is the nicest of all pick up trucks that Ram makes imo. Thanks everyone for your input.

Dhughes4301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Cummins? Good luck with that...

Trying the blame the manufacturer for making a defective engine based on limited research and biased by the fact you purchased a broken truck for cheap only makes this thread that much more laughable; perhaps the ford would treat you better after all.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First off I bought the truck in the condition that it’s in for $7500 with 140,000 on the clock. I had owned an 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 for 3 years and fixed up the body on it and sold it afterwards and purchased the 2011 Ram after. I love the Ram truck and I’m just frustrated.
With that out of the way. I have a question for you. Have you ever heard of the MDS solenoid braking and staying off sending the misfire code and all of the symptoms of a blown valve lifter and camshaft wipe out? I have just been told to research this.

I think you meant ram 2500 if you are going with a cummins.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, and in a few months I'm going to sprout wings and fly.

You mean you're going to the bank and ask if they'll buy it for you and then let you rent it from them.

Marczing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoormen
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I feel the problem with the hemi is heat. 203 t stat is nuts, I installed 180 t stat, also I think 5w30 may help with this issue, I think its a heat related issue, I run 5w30 PUP, I also removed the hemi engine cover to help with allowing heat removal. I worked for a cable company in Canada and we used our own trucks, we all had different brands, every truck had some type of problem, most had issues with direct injection and carbon (ford & Chevy ), just as bad as the hemi lifter problem same cost to repair, or not so ecoboost turbo problems, chev's electrical issue one guy would plug in his usb in his 2017 for music and just after the truck was started the cel came on the truck, and needed towing to clear codes. The same usb stick worked fine in my ram? Also the other brands tick just as much as the hemi, if your lifter fails it the universe telling you it's time for a upgrade.

OP
OP
R

Rastabass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the 2017 motor installed in the truck. We took the tone ring off the crank of the 2011 motor and installed it on the 2017 motor with 24k on it. It runs great and I have done lots of work to the truck cosmetically. It looks and runs great now. Thanks for the good responses and to the guys that said sh@t to me I don’t give a rats ass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley