Hemi Starter Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i am disappointed on a few comments related to my post, I only stated that i change these comp when i purchase a used truck so i know they are good , and many were on the way out faulty

I'm not sure why you're disappointed by the comments, we must care enough that we're paying attention and asking for a clarification of your statements.

In every truck I have owned , now that is 7. Within a year I will change the starter alternator, battery for sure. on my 2014 now I changed it with in a year, that was 2019 , i am the second owner, and it was on the way out

So, 7 trucks have resulted in 7 alternator and battery changes? That sounds a bit unusual for at least the alternators or maybe, they were mostly high-mileage trucks?

Back in the old days before parts became stupidly expensive, I could understand proactively changing certain components before they failed, but not these days unless you're independently wealthy. :cool:

Out of the 6 pre-enjoyed trucks I've owned, IIRC, I've only changed about 2 or 3 alternators.
My trucks were 4 Nissan, and 2 Toyota. Three of the six trucks had more than 100K miles and required the new alternators.

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol....funny you say that about the alternator and off topic....
I just changed mine yesterday for the second time...so thats 3 that have been in there since I've owned(factory 1st one I would assume when i bought).bout 240 last year,lady said 320 something today for same lifetime unit.
Lucky it didn't cost me..went with Oreillys lifetime warranty on the last one...exactly one year and one day...honored it no questions asked...sounded like bearings,had a howl starting and circuitry smell...they agreed.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
.... they usually give you warning of near failure
Not anymore they don't. In the past decade, I've had customers' cars in my shop when the starter failed out of the blue with ZERO prior warning. I've seen this often enough to conclude they don't necessarily give early warnings such as in the old days.... ditto for batteries.

dodgekenworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not anymore they don't. In the past decade, I've had customers' cars in my shop when the starter failed out of the blue with ZERO prior warning. I've seen this often enough to conclude they don't necessarily give early warnings such as in the old days.... ditto for batteries.
I hear you but how many people nowadays even know what a starter is anymore but mine gave me couple warnings just couple months ago

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not sure why you're disappointed by the comments, we must care enough that we're paying attention and asking for a clarification of your statements.

So, 7 trucks have resulted in 7 alternator and battery changes? That sounds a bit unusual for at least the alternators or maybe, they were mostly high-mileage trucks?

Back in the old days before parts became stupidly expensive, I could understand proactively changing certain components before they failed, but not these days unless you're independently wealthy. :cool:

Out of the 6 pre-enjoyed trucks I've owned, IIRC, I've only changed about 2 or 3 alternators.
My trucks were 4 Nissan, and 2 Toyota. Three of the six trucks had more than 100K miles and required the new alternators.

it is in the way comments were made on my post, some were in third party not even commenting to my post at all, and very sarcastic, especially from a senior member !!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i am disappointed on a few comments related to my post, I only stated that i change these comp when i purchase a used truck so i know they are good , and many were on the way out faulty
You quoted me with this statement so I can only conclude that at least one of my comments disappointed you. In an effort to improve my forum etiquette, I would appreciate if you can tell me what disappointed you about any of the comments I have made in this thread. You said yourself that you r&r things like the starter, alternator, and battery on all seven trucks you've owned, seemingly as a preventative measure. That's not a normal thing for a truck owner to do, which means people will disagree with doing that. It's good to have a thick skin if you want to participate in a forum. I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't intend any animosity. I was more asking for clarity on what you were saying because it's not well written.

Direct quote: "In every truck I have owned , now that is 7. Within a year I will change the starter alternator, battery for sure. on my 2014 now I changed it with in a year, that was 2019 , i am the second owner, and it was on the way out"

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it is in the way comments were made on my post, some were in third party not even commenting to my post at all, and very sarcastic, especially from a senior member !!

To be honest, I seriously thought it might be the salt in the ocean breeze because I first thought the replacements were due to failures.

After another look, I realized it looked more like a proactive response which I was a bit intrigued by, given the cost of parts these days.

I certainly meant no disrespect and didn't knowingly post in a sarcastic fashion. If I did feel like being sarcastic, I would have employed the appropriate emoticon so that you would know of my intentions.

I try very hard to not hide my sarcastic response to a post that I feel deserves sarcasm.

Sorry, yours did not measure for that. I hate to admit but, I was completely serious for a change. :cool:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
You quoted me with this statement so I can only conclude that at least one of my comments disappointed you. In an effort to improve my forum etiquette, I would appreciate if you can tell me what disappointed you about any of the comments I have made in this thread. You said yourself that you r&r things like the starter, alternator, and battery on all seven trucks you've owned, seemingly as a preventative measure. That's not a normal thing for a truck owner to do, which means people will disagree with doing that. It's good to have a thick skin if you want to participate in a forum. I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't intend any animosity. I was more asking for clarity on what you were saying because it's not well written.

Direct quote: "In every truck I have owned , now that is 7. Within a year I will change the starter alternator, battery for sure. on my 2014 now I changed it with in a year, that was 2019 , i am the second owner, and it was on the way out"
I am not sure if it was you that made the comments, Mikeru,so i will apologize if I directed it to you, I have thick skin at my age you learn that over time, preventive measures in maintenance for some is a basic measure to ensure some major components will not fail at least in the near future, and based on them I know within a five year period they will be due. I do not like taking a chance of being stuck somewhere do to a component failure . It is something I carried over from my service career in the RCAF working on A/C . I should have written that post better, and made it a little clearer i agree. just to reiterate when I buy a good used truck which is not very often , I change those components for two reasons, one i dont know how long they have been in that truck and two when i do I know when i changed them ( I record one a word pad) so I know aleast unless they fail they are sound. I will leave them installed until a time frame when I know there life is near the end. by the way I also am retired from the RCAF and as a vech Mech .

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
To be honest, I seriously thought it might be the salt in the ocean breeze because I first thought the replacements were due to failures.

After another look, I realized it looked more like a proactive response which I was a bit intrigued by, given the cost of parts these days.

I certainly meant no disrespect and didn't knowingly post in a sarcastic fashion. If I did feel like being sarcastic, I would have employed the appropriate emoticon so that you would know of my intentions.

I try very hard to not hide my sarcastic response to a post that I feel deserves sarcasm.

Sorry, yours did not measure for that. I hate to admit but, I was completely serious for a change. :cool:

Well maybe I misunderstood your post, sorry for that .It is from the salt in winter they place on the roads mostly, and they layer it down hard here. The sea air moisture has a play on it a little. I mentioned I only change those components after buying a used truck, once so I know they are new, not knowing the state they may be in when I purchased the truck, I will not replace them after that unless they fail, It is just a preventive measure i do once. It is something I just carried over after my career in the RCAF as a A/C mech, now retired

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well maybe I misunderstood your post, sorry for that .It is from the salt in winter they place on the roads mostly, and they layer it down hard here. The sea air moisture has a play on it a little. I mentioned I only change those components after buying a used truck, once so I know they are new, not knowing the state they may be in when I purchased the truck, I will not replace them after that unless they fail, It is just a preventive measure i do once. It is something I just carried over after my career in the RCAF as a A/C mech, now retired

Thanks for the clarification and no worries about any online misunderstandings. This virtual world is often difficult to navigate without reading emotional content that may or may not exist, it happens to us all, at one time or another.

I understand the PM concept and being pre-emptive to reduce downtime and/or inconvenience. Once upon a time, I would have used the same practice but in recent years, I gamble a bit more.

I am curious to know if you use OEM replacement parts as opposed to a jobber part alternator.

How have the temperatures and snowfall been, this past winter in Stephenville?

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old truck (2004 w/ 5.7L Hemi) at 202,000 still had the original starter, water pump, and alternator on it. My previous truck to that one (1996 w/5.2L), at 163,000 miles, still had the original starter in it, but, had to replace alternator and water pump. My new truck (2014 w/ 5.7L Hemi), with 135,000 had the water pump disintegrate on the way home from work, 2 weeks after I got it. Starter and alternator still seem to be working just fine.

You just never know.