2012 Ram 3500 Lemon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jutwmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
I have a 2012 Ram 3500 bought new from the dealer Dec 2012. It currently has 12,000 miles on it and in the 10 months I have owned it, it has been in the shop for 30+ days. Repairs include:
-New DPF 3 times
-knocking injectors were cleaned
-new turbo
-cleaned EGR
-DEF sending unit
-Transmission cooler

The truck has never had the power I thought it should and currently every time I tow a trailer the transmission overheats.

Personally I think it is insane to have so many issues with a truck in such a short time. The dealer has fixed every issue as they arrive, but not the transmission overheating. "don't run it so hard let it cool down" is their fix. I have contacted Chrysler directly and they say take it to the dealer and they will fix it. What am I supposed to do while it is in the shop? 30 days of down time has been bad enough. I can't afford anymore. You would think a company would stand behind their product better and say yeah you got a bad one lets get you set up with something else. But not Ram.

I guess lemon laws are my next option. Any one have experience with this and can offer any alternatives or help?

Attachments

• 20130522_150358.jpg
    20130522_150358.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20130827_090332.jpg
    20130827_090332.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20130920_173509.jpg
    20130920_173509.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 20130921_075022.jpg
    20130921_075022.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 82
  • 20130923_163749.jpg
    20130923_163749.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
jutwmitch

jutwmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Check engine light came on this morning, so I am off to the dealer to see what the newest problem is. I really hate this truck!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would probably start talking with the dealer about lemon law options or if you wouldn't even have to go that route and get chrysler to replace it.

OP
OP
jutwmitch

jutwmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Tried that. The Service Manager said he would get in contact with his higher up and see if the could authorize a buyback or trade assistance for me. This was better than 2 weeks ago. So every time a light comes on, which is often, I call him and ask if he has heard anything. Every time I get an excuse, She is on vacation, I was out yesterday, I will call her again, and my favorite "this is a woman I am dealing with so its going to take some time." If you cant get in contact with your higher ups in a 2 week period Chrysler really has some major issues to deal with.

I was really frustrated this morning with the new light on so I went to his office and asked what his excuse was today. He got mad and yelled at me that he wasn't dealing with me anymore and there is nothing wrong with the truck and if I want something done to call Chrysler myself.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Contact Chrysler, contact a lemon law lawyer in your area. Bring the heat they're not taking you serious or something. Try and get that ******* fired, get your money back/different truck and never go back their again. Should post the dealer name and location, word of mouth can ruin a dealers reputation more than they think.

dmclone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get on it now before you hit 12k miles

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would recommend you contact a lemon law lawyer as well.
This is out of control. I think if any 1 component has been replaced 3 times that's grounds for lemon law enactment period. (see DPF)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry to hear it man, even the best of the best engines have lemons from time to time. I hope it works out!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Lawyer up and contact the BBB. They offer lemon services for free. I had to do that on my last truck. Was a pretty easy process. And forget dealing with the dealer any further. Deal with Chrysler directly from here on out. Any time they ask you to take it to the dealer tell them you want a corporate rep there as well. And keep all your documentation. Take videos/pics of the problems as they pop up so you have plenty of proof.

Good luck!

OP
OP
jutwmitch

jutwmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Lawyer up and contact the BBB. They offer lemon services for free. I had to do that on my last truck. Was a pretty easy process. And forget dealing with the dealer any further. Deal with Chrysler directly from here on out. Any time they ask you to take it to the dealer tell them you want a corporate rep there as well. And keep all your documentation. Take videos/pics of the problems as they pop up so you have plenty of proof.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Filled out a form on the BBB auto site. We will see where that goes. I have been taking picture and video of the issues I am having, because the dealer seems to think I am making stuff up. "if there are no codes there are no problems" About how long did it take to get a resolution with your last truck? I have been having issues since 5000 miles. I don't know how much more I can take.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do you have an automatic? All your other problems aside, my brother in law has only ran Cummins in his business since 1990. One Ram he bought had an automatic and he had to have it replaced 3 times in a very short period of time. It was the last automatic he ever bought, he has had manual transmissions ever since and has had zero problems. He does landscaping so he always has big loads and always tows heavy equipment. Just something to consider in the future, those manual tranny's can take much more abuse.

OP
OP
jutwmitch

jutwmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
Do you have an automatic? All your other problems aside, my brother in law has only ran Cummins in his business since 1990. One Ram he bought had an automatic and he had to have it replaced 3 times in a very short period of time. It was the last automatic he ever bought, he has had manual transmissions ever since and has had zero problems. He does landscaping so he always has big loads and always tows heavy equipment. Just something to consider in the future, those manual tranny's can take much more abuse.

Its a 6 speed auto. There wasn't a manual tranny on the lot when I purchased. I have been running Fords since 2003, all automatic, and not a single issue didn't think twice when I bought the Ram because I don't miss shifting gears.

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Contact BBB. I did that with GM and within 4 hours I had the issue resolved. They don't mess around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Unfortunately the weakest part of the Dodge truck is the transmission, has been for a long time. I'd look into a sharadon valve body and a real good synthetic oil. The valve body upgrade will give your transmission a lot more oil pressure to wick away temps by getting into gear better. Some synthetic oils are specifically designed without friction modifiers to help your transmission get into gear too and also wick away temp. Check out Amsoil super shift.

I know right now the last thing you want is to upgrade anything, but if you solve the other issues and it works itself out, your transmission will probably still have a temp problem. This might help, Peace Burla

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately the weakest part of the Dodge truck is the transmission, has been for a long time. I'd look into a sharadon valve body and a real good synthetic oil. The valve body upgrade will give your transmission a lot more oil pressure to wick away temps by getting into gear better. Some synthetic oils are specifically designed without friction modifiers to help your transmission get into gear too and also wick away temp. Check out Amsoil super shift.

I know right now the last thing you want is to upgrade anything, but if you solve the other issues and it works itself out, your transmission will probably still have a temp problem. This might help, Peace Burla

Sharadon doesn't deal with the diesel transmissions, they're way different than the 545rfe

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, I did not know that! I knew of the Dodge tranny prior to buying my diesel, that is why I went with a stick personally. I have heard the newest transmission is real good, but then again I have heard that tune before. Is there any upgrades that anyone knows that would help?

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good old 12 valve 5.9 boy best damn setup ever mechanicle lift pump no electronic egr dpf save the trees for little timmy add ons :Angry:
just good old reliability, but yes auto has been crap in dodges forever, my father and uncle all have the older12 valves,manuel transmision. uncles is a 93 lifted with fuel pump turned up and just whoped out, got like 700 000 kms, only troubles he has had are body mounts million mile motor on a 250 000 mile body
but it sucks your having so much trouble sir. i know people who got big cimmins power house 4th gens here with no issues and i know others who cant get accross town with out injector troubles or there truck got a fart jammed.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
take pics
i am having a problem with mine, airbag service light
took to dealer, they said light wasnt on,(it had reset its self)
i showed them a pic, they took me seriously then.
problem still not fixed BUT each time it came on, out came the iphone and SNAP with warning light and mileage.
Last time it was there i asked them what the lemon law was, (I Played like a complete retard like I didnt know what it was) they responded with what it was BUT then fastly said give them a chance.
So they know i MEAN BUSINESS.
Got a survey on line about that visit from chrysler, and filled it out and wasnt nice.
we will see what happens, taking it back on monday evening to drop off, there giving me a loaner car,
truck had 1634 miles at first problem, now has 2325

MACH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am dealing with a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie lemon right now. I have made countless calls to Chrysler, emails, barked up and down at the higher ups at the dealer and it has gotten me nowhere.

What I would do is go into the new car salesman at your dealership and tell them either they make it right within the next week or you will be hiring a lawyer.

Chrysler will sit on their hands, so be patient. Keep all your service records especially the first one you got the first time you went in for the issue. It will have your mileage of when you brought it in. They can't say crap that it won't hold up if you are high on your mileage. If you brought it in at say 5500 miles. That’s when the problem starts period!

I hired a lawyer August 6th. Chrysler did reply to my lawyer within the allotted days they were given but unfortunately have been sitting on it since, and I have yet to hear anything.

So I still have been working with the dealer as they FINALLY started to work with me. They (dealer) offered me a new truck about 2 days after I hired a lawyer. I didn't accept the offer as they wouldn't pay the lawyer fee's.

I was in again getting the oil changed and they noticed the Uconnect screen was still froze from over a month ago and asked me about it. I told them I would take the deal if they agree to pay my lawyer fees and I am hoping they do. I was in yesterday asking the new car sales manager about it and he says I should hear from them tomorrow or Friday.

All I can say is get all your service records. Tell the dealer they have a week to replace your truck. If they don't you should hire a lawyer and let them deal with Chrysler on this.

Get ALL servicer records, copies of receipts from any dealer accessory as well as oil changes, rental car fees ANYTHING! You are entitled to all that money back!