2012 ram 5.7 hemi wont run right need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked upa 2012 ram 5.7 160k on it cheap few months back it needed lifters and a cam so i replaced The cam and lifters with NON mds lifters/cam removed and blocked off the mds sensors but left them plugged in and tuned them out. Ever since i have had a rough idle no power loss great when driving just **** rough idle no engine codes checked compression 140/150 all around new spark plugs etc.
Engine still taps/knocks quite a bit aswell thought it would break in by now put 300 miles on it and its still loud not the reg hemi lifter tick my 2010 doesn't even sound this bad. I also use redline oil as i have done with all other hemis. I cleaned all coils but can one be bad with no codes? i mean wouldn't i have a power loss?

could it have something to do with the non mds but VVt cam? or maybe i got bad new lifters? all rocker arms appear to move the same distance

I need some suggestions before i loose my ass$$$ and sell this ************* and keep my 2010 :D

Last edited:

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully somebody with a lot of experience with tuning and the internals of the 5.7 engine like Tachtech will chime in here.....

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully somebody with a lot of experience with tuning and the internals of the 5.7 engine like Tachtech will chime in here.....
I hope so its driving me crazy i like the older hemi engines better miss my 03 :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
changed out the coils today still runs rough at idle and sounds like a diesel Any suggestions before i rip this peace of **** apart for the 3rd time? thinking i got a bad set of cam/lifters they enginetech lifters/cam

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What cam and lfiters did you install ?
And what did you do in the tune exactly ?

enginetech non mds but VVT cam and lifters from rock auto and all i did with the tune was disable mds nothing else used a diablosport i3 like i did on my 2010 except my 2010 still has mds lifters i also have the solenoids blocked off with block off plates but sitting under intake so the engine light doesnt go on. should i un plug them all together?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have non MDS lifters or MDS lifters?, with MDS lifters you could leave the solenoids on, with non-mds lifters you're supposed to take the solenoids out and cap the holes with the plugs. Now, take this with a grain of salt as i'm not a Hemi guy per se :)

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have non MDS lifters or MDS lifters?, with MDS lifters you could leave the solenoids on, with non-mds lifters you're supposed to take the solenoids out and cap the holes with the plugs. Now, take this with a grain of salt as i'm not a Hemi guy per se :)

Yes NON mds lifters and NON mds cam and they are out capped off but plugged in sitting on top of intake so the engine light says off SHould i un plug them? i mean shouldn't make a difference if they stay plugged in because they are not installed correct?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes NON mds lifters and NON mds cam and they are out capped off but plugged in sitting on top of intake so the engine light says off SHould i un plug them? i mean shouldn't make a difference if they stay plugged in because they are not installed correct?
If it's easy for you to test go ahead, the monitors that run could give you a DTC light that i don't know you will be able to turn off with a canned tuner, you'll need HPtuners or CMR for that, but at least you should be able to test if the diesel sound comes from this, i kind of doubt it, but if testing is possible what that heck.

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's easy for you to test go ahead, the monitors that run could give you a DTC light that i don't know you will be able to turn off with a canned tuner, you'll need HPtuners or CMR for that, but at least you should be able to test if the diesel sound comes from this, i kind of doubt it, but if testing is possible what that heck.

going to unplug them for the hell of it probably wont make it run better but going to take a vid of truck running with the noise i hate to tear it apart again but looks like its going that way...

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE just got it back together finally weather was warm today :D new set of lifters again...and a new vvt gear knocking is gone it sounds normal now. How ever still rough idle have the random multiple misfire code any suggestions? when i tore it apart the first time i put a new cam and crank sensors in it possible one of them is bad? would it cause this issue without a code for one of them? if not what could cause a multiple missfire im at a loss here plugs are new i checked coils ect.. I would love to just sell this thing but im to far into it.

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
any suggestions for random multiple misfire??

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would pull the coil pack wires off one at a time and see if one doesn’t change the idle. May be a bad coil pack or at least it would narrow down which cylinder it is. I would pull the plugs out of the offending cylinder and replace them. I’m assuming you installed the recommended plugs and not something different! Different plugs then recommended by over tax the coils.

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It finally!!! came up cylinder 6 missifre least now i have something to work with going to check the coil and injector on that cylinder this whole time i had no engine light til now.

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
welp wasn't the coil nor the plugs runs strong other wise if injector was bad wouldn't it run like **** under power? suspecting slight a bent intake cause 4 push rods where bent initially before i did the lifters how ever wouldnt my compression be bad tho?

Last edited:

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
welp wasn't the coil nor the plugs runs strong other wise if injector was bad wouldn't it run like **** under power? suspecting slight a bent intake cause 4 push rods where bent initially before i did the lifters how ever wouldnt my compression be bad tho?

Bent push rod(s) will still give you compression. But it should be “clacking” . Check your coil wire connector real close for a bad wire or pushed out pin in it. Have you changed crank or camshaftposition sensors?

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bent push rod(s) will still give you compression. But it should be “clacking” . Check your coil wire connector real close for a bad wire or pushed out pin in it. Have you changed crank or camshaftposition sensors?

il re check wires just did the cam sensor and crank sensor is not to old but no code for it tho.. im at a loss might change it again tho its cheap just in case...

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
waiting for new crank sensor to come how ever codes are gone again..... no engine codes what so ever and the truck did something weird today
fired it up knocking loud ish again whatever these new 5.7s suck but put it in gear half way up the street it tried to stall was backfiring/popping threw the intake ... im at a loss here any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like crank/cam sensor, intake valve problem or jumped timing. First two most probable

OP
OP
W

willis123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like crank/cam sensor, intake valve problem or jumped timing. First two most probable

i checked timing few times now its 100% i am hoping the crank sensor does it.. it comes thursday i ordered a mopar one this time instead of a knock off from advanced auto i thought possibly intake valve issue but the thing is it runs fine when ur driving its weird no power loss except for what it did today just runs rough at idle...

For the hell of it to rule out a valve issue again il re check compression and post results...
this thing has been kicking my ass never had a problem like this with any of my dodges.