2012 ram heater core bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 ram heater core just puked all over my floor.... wouldn't expect it in a 2012 already but is what it is... kinda bs glad i didn't buy this thing new.. but i have never done one on a 4th gen only on a 2nd gen. How bad is it to replace? have tried to look for some youtube vids only came across a few and they suck.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DODGE/JEEP/RAM Heaters still suck after all the years of repeated failures . You would think by now they would of fixed their repeated problems, Heater door failures , Evaporator failures, Heater core failures. If they weren't such a pain in the a$$ to change such a small component I could accept it but its not . They mount the heater core horizontal now so before they begin to leak they get plugged up and reduce the heat quicker not to mention they reduced the size of it to about the size of a slice of bread. Between Jeeps and Rams I have had more than my share of HVAC issues for the last 20 years and they are still having the same issues how long does it take to notice you have a problem, ADDRESS IT FCA

Some day I will let them know how I really feel.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I don't know about the 2012 but when the heater core blew on my '98 RAM 2500 I would have had to pull the entire dash out to replace it. It seems that FCA built the dashboards as a separate unit and all the screws go in from behind. The only way to get anything out of the dash is to take those screws out, from behind.

Screw that, I'm in Florida and don't need the heat that much. I just jumped the heater hoses back to the block and lived with it.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yep i tore into 2 days ago what a fking messs... worse then my 2004 was love my truck but dodge is getting more ****** the newer i go...it seams

Porkbutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2003 Ram with almost 150k miles on it. I never had to check the coolant and there was never a problem with the heater. In 15 years, I replaced the rf wheel bearing and the ac compressor fan. I'd call FCA on a 2012 for doing that and at least try to get an explanation.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2003 Ram with almost 150k miles on it. I never had to check the coolant and there was never a problem with the heater. In 15 years, I replaced the rf wheel bearing and the ac compressor fan. I'd call FCA on a 2012 for doing that and at least try to get an explanation.
Mine too, same year(2012). I smell that smell when i first hit the heat then it goes away. Smelled it for a few weeks then got around to checking fluid. Yup, sho nuf, on the low side. Hell thats 100,000 mile fluid in there right. I just flushed and changed at 75,000 and now this!!! What bs.
Iv read a few articles that said electrolysis and flow rate was the 2 most common culprits with these trucks. Adding elec grounds, an adjustable flow valve was supposed to be the answer???
Your thoughts!
Also one of the articles said cutting back on voltage ????? Wth they talking bout? Ik they wasnt speaking of alt/batt cause it was low numbers. Like 0.08 to 0.04. Wth?

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Chrysler hvac systems blow.
I wouldn't mind so much if it were a 45 minute job but it's not. One thing I learned is when anything fails, replace it all. It's a terrible job removing the entire dash assembly. Guaranteed you only change the core and a month later the evap will go, or the blend doors or whatever. As long as you're in there do it all.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Freaking Dodge!!!
Makes me wana buy a pinto..use it then throw away...
Hotkarl you have any idea what the article was suggesting about the voltage reduction?

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Wasn't me regarding the electrical.

That seems premature for a heater core fail. What's the mileage?
If it lived a rough life then maybe.
Should at least make it to low 100k's providing average use and maintenance. Whatever. It happened.
Sucks and I'm sorry for you.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who has the best price on the entire a/c evaporator - heater core assembly. I am going to have to do this and want to simply pull the whole thing out and put a whole thing right back in.

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro