2013-2018 Gauge Cluster Disassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anyone on here ever take apart a gauge cluster, from a 2012-2018 Ram? The one with the 7” LCD screen. Trying to replace the LCD screen. Getting the cluster out of the truck is easy. Taking it apart seemingly isn’t. It looks like is should come apart easily; there are 10 click-over tabs around the perimeter. When they are all released, nothing will budge. Gentle prying with plastic tools won’t even move the cover at all. I’ve watched every video I can find, read every post here and on other forums, and nothing. Anyone?
Thanks

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anyone on here ever take apart a gauge cluster, from a 2012-2018 Ram? The one with the 7” LCD screen. Trying to replace the LCD screen. Getting the cluster out of the truck is easy. Taking it apart seemingly isn’t. It looks like is should come apart easily; there are 10 click-over tabs around the perimeter. When they are all released, nothing will budge. Gentle prying with plastic tools won’t even move the cover at all. I’ve watched every video I can find, read every post here and on other forums, and nothing. Anyone?
Thanks
The lens and mask comes off all as one piece and requires the use of several swedges to keep the clips open as you move around the cluster unclipping. It should pop off when the are released. Do you have a picture of the back of yours?

OP
OP
D

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do have a picture of the back. Also a couple pics of the clips. I released all 10 clips with a spudger and put guitar picks under each one so they could not re-connect. After I had all 10 released, I pried gently in several places and nothing would budge at all. Not even a hint of looseness. Didn’t want to break anything so I gave up.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 19

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I do have a picture of the back. Also a couple pics of the clips. I released all 10 clips with a spudger and put guitar picks under each one so they could not re-connect. After I had all 10 released, I pried gently in several places and nothing would budge at all. Not even a hint of looseness. Didn’t want to break anything so I gave up.
Thanks
Interesting, not sure what to tell you as it should be free with the clips being released.

OP
OP
D

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I decided to go the replacement route. I found a cluster assembly from a one year newer truck than mine. It’s guaranteed for a year and the seller will program the correct mileage into it, which is a nice bonus if you don’t have alfaODB. After I get that in, I’ll be able the take the old one apart without fear of damage. I’ll post the results in a week or two.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I decided to go the replacement route. I found a cluster assembly from a one year newer truck than mine. It’s guaranteed for a year and the seller will program the correct mileage into it, which is a nice bonus if you don’t have alfaODB. After I get that in, I’ll be able the take the old one apart without fear of damage. I’ll post the results in a week or two.
That can be worth it, but AlfaOBD is worth it in my opinion. Especially when you get the itch for your next mod... seriously underpriced software IMO.

OP
OP
D

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just an update for those of you who may be interested. I received an instrument cluster from a 2017 (one year newer than mine) RAM 1500. The correct milage was programmed in by the seller. It fit perfectly and it works perfectly. No more flashing LCD display and non-functioning oil pressure gauge. All in all a great success. The cluster is warranted for 1 year. The total cost was less than a mail-in repair which would have resulted in a 3-7 day wait with no instrument cluster, and no working truck.

Now I can take the old one apart without fear of breaking something. I will post the results here.

CGDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever take the old cluster apart? I am trying to get mine apart on a 2015 and having same issue you had.

OP
OP
D

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No, sorry I have‘t. It’s still sitting in a corner. Now that the weather has cooled off, I can stand it in my shed, so I’ll tackle is soon.