2013 tradesman RA1 to 8.4 something and backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mgarlem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would greatly appreciate some help. I have been reading different posts on here and I am a bit confused as to what direction I should go. I have a 2013 Tradesman crew cab with the most basic radio (I believe its a ra1). I want to upgrade to something that I can use for navigation, connect my phone to use Spotify (or some other wizardry to make this happen) as well as add a backup camera. I had originally thought I coudl plug and play an upgraded radio and add the camera but I am seeing it is much more complicated than that. I also thought I would have best buy install something aftermarket but I see that is not necessarily the best bet either. I can do the install myself, but I just want to make sure I get the right items to do this. I can get a OEM tailgate handle/ camera with the wire to run to the front of the truck, but is there a way to know if the truck is pre-wired for this? Are the aftermarket options (Stinger and amazon specials) just a waste of time or do they complicate things? Seems like there are endless possiblities. Will someone on here please help a brotha out? Thanks guys!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would greatly appreciate some help. I have been reading different posts on here and I am a bit confused as to what direction I should go. I have a 2013 Tradesman crew cab with the most basic radio (I believe its a ra1). I want to upgrade to something that I can use for navigation, connect my phone to use Spotify (or some other wizardry to make this happen) as well as add a backup camera. I had originally thought I coudl plug and play an upgraded radio and add the camera but I am seeing it is much more complicated than that. I also thought I would have best buy install something aftermarket but I see that is not necessarily the best bet either. I can do the install myself, but I just want to make sure I get the right items to do this. I can get a OEM tailgate handle/ camera with the wire to run to the front of the truck, but is there a way to know if the truck is pre-wired for this? Are the aftermarket options (Stinger and amazon specials) just a waste of time or do they complicate things? Seems like there are endless possiblities. Will someone on here please help a brotha out? Thanks guys!
@Mpgrimm2 can tell you exactly what parts you need for your truck and sell you any conversion harnesses you might need.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you don’t have the auto climate controls there’s a ton of good cheap aftermarket radios on Amazon and eBay and some YouTube reviews of them. if You want to go oem I’d get a used or refurbish because they are expensive. People recommend crutchfield, but that site only sells overpriced brands that live on a reputation of sound features, but they are more archaic than an iPhone 1 and want outrageous money.
ive heard positive things about stinger in my research but I didn’t like the look personally.

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently did the upgrade with harnesses from @Mpgrimm2 (top Notch ) and parts from the salvage yard mine does not have nav, I use goggle for that but i do have the hands free and Bluetooth in my 2017 express. @Mpgrimm2 is the go to guy on this upgrade !He will have oem part number to very thorough.

OP
OP
Mgarlem

Mgarlem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don’t have the auto climate controls there’s a ton of good cheap aftermarket radios on Amazon and eBay and some YouTube reviews of them. if You want to go oem I’d get a used or refurbish because they are expensive. People recommend crutchfield, but that site only sells overpriced brands that live on a reputation of sound features, but they are more archaic than an iPhone 1 and want outrageous money.
ive heard positive things about stinger in my research but I didn’t like the look personally.
I don't currently have the auto climate controls. Would you reccommend an aftermarket one rather than the OEM? If I can get bluetooth and a back up camera hooked up, thats ultimately what I care about.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't currently have the auto climate controls. Would you reccommend an aftermarket one rather than the OEM? If I can get bluetooth and a back up camera hooked up, thats ultimately what I care about.

If CarPlay and auto is what your after and you want to keep it cost effective I would consider the $200 amazon units. Otherwise you need the 2018 uas radio to get the CarPlay features which is a complicated install and you'll be in over $1500 probably.

If you just want bluetooth for music then you could get an 8.4 from any model year used for probably less than $500, but that wont have any nav options or phone integration, it doesnt really help you I think. You can add on a unit to this radio from grom audio called vline which gives CarPlay but it doesnt work with the touch screen and costs over $600.

And if you go for the oem nav version, it's ok but you have to buy new map packs every couple years to keep it useful, and typing in addresses on it is kind of annoying in my opinion.

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an ra2 for sale and the bezel if you need it (will do a good deal )Your hub in the center console should work You can get everything else from @Mpgrimm2 to make it work .reverse camera harness and mics and harness .The ra2 looks the same as the ra1 it just has the Bluetooth and hands free ability if you have the steering wheel buttons .Also if you go the eBay route be sure your getting oem parts not the cheap china stuff ( it will save you a lot of grief )

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat