2014 2500 Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottH

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Dear Forum Members,

Just joined the forum, so it's my first post but have been reading the posts for a while. Although I currently do not own a RAM, i've had Dodge trucks in the past and in the market again for one. But today I am writing with my overall impressions of a 2014 RAM 2500 crew cab 4x4 5.7 6.5 bed that I rented for 2 days this week to haul some things, but also to get a sense if a 2500 was right for me.

In no particular order:

1. The truck is huge - the dimension that surprised me the most was the height of the truck. The top of the hood, the tailgate height and the entry height are very high/tall - maybe more so in 2014 than previous years. This is not a complaint by any means...it just underpins how impressively large the Hd's are.

2. When RAM first announced rear coils in the 14's, i must admit I was skeptical and maybe even disappointed. However, after driving one for 2 days, I believe RAM hit a home run. For starters, the rear end of the coil sprung trucks is high, giving it a nice stance. Secondly, the coils are VERY firm and strong, but unlike leaf springs, there was no side to side hop when empty. The truck just went about it's business with no drama. The truck handles heavy loads with ease and with very little squat (bed of mulch in this case). There seems to be absolutely no compromise in payload or strength - the coils are massive. These are NOT your Grandfather's coils - and certainly dwarf those in the 1500's.

3. The front suspension was equally as impressive. Unlike other trucks I've owned or driven, there was NO front end dip or body roll when taking turns, or on/off ramps. The front end remained poised and always firm. It was an absolute pleasure to drive the truck with the 3 link suspension.

4. Being a 5.7 HEMI, it had a 9,000 GVWR versus the 10k GVWR that the 6.4 trucks have. The payload on the door jam was showing as 2,230 and while I realize there are payload ratings for safety and legal reasons, I doubt this truck would flinch at higher loads. It was that impressive. I can't imagine what the 6.4 truck would feel like with an additional 1,000 of GVWR capacity. I suspect the 6.4 has even stronger coils to match the stronger rear axle.

5. I don't know whether it was a 3.73 or 4.10 truck, but I'd have to guess it was a 3.73 because while in 6th gear around 45 mph, the RPM's were very low and light acceleration requests prompted an immediate downshift. I am merely guessing that the 4.10 would have responded to the acceleration request without a downshift. The 5.7 moved the truck easily especially when getting into the pedal, which I didn't do very often as I was trying to get a feel for real world fuel economy. Driving just under 100 miles, both on town roads and short highway stints, i was able to get 13.7 MPG overall. I have no idea if that is good, bad or average - you guys that own one know much better.

6. The braking - impressive to say the least. Required very little pedal effort and always felt strong under load.

7. Since it was a rental, it was SLT trim but still has some nice features including the power sliding rear window and satellite radio touchscreen with Blue Tooth. Didn't bother with pairing my phone as I only had it for 2 days but the included stereo sounded great.

The one and only thing I would like to see in the 2015 models would be an HD 8 speed, and RAM please leave the column shifter, no rotary dials in the HD's please - it would seem really out of place. The 8 speed with closer gearing would help keep the engine in it's power band better than the 6 speed did. The 6 speed wasn't bad though by any means, it just wasn't perfect.

I had to return the 'black beauty' after 2 days and by no means did I even scratch the surface of what the truck is capable of. I did use it to haul mulch and other heavy items (PA sound equipment) but didn't tow anything. The truck will remain at the top of my list as I look for a new truck, and will perhaps look to the next trim level up (Big Horn) or Laramie.

Hope this was helpful,
ScottH

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Great review! My only comment would be concerning your suggestion about the rotary dial. I've seen a few comments on it and still don't understand the concern unless it's simply a matter of choice. I have the dial in my truck and would take it over the silly eight speed electric shifter in the Grand Cherokee/Chargers, and would actually like it if they took the hole in which the shifter was previously located, and put a cover over it for "a driver's glove box". Again, simply my personal choice but was curious as to why the dial is viewed a not a good change.

As for the 6.4, I drove one and it was a beast. No doubt, RAM has stepped it up a level in 2014 and I can't imagine how much better they'll continue to get in 2015.

Jack Archer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
This is a good review. I might show this to my boss at work and see if we can get one of the trucks replaced. Its at the point where it would cost more to fix than to replace and start with a fresh new truck. And it just so happens to be the truck I drive. So maybe a new truck for me at work.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great review and I agree with pretty much everything. I own a 2014 6.4 Hemi 2500 CC 4X4.

I especially agree with the 6spd tranny thing. It's good but not great. The spacing between gears is not ideal. As a daily driver there sure is a big gap @ the 1-2 shift. If you put it to the floor it will hold 1 for long enough to fall into second at a decent spot in the power band. If you're anything less than totally balls out it shifts way too soon and it dogs in 2nd for awhile. A very common place this is an annoyance is when you're taking off at a light where 2 lanes are merging into 1. It would be nice to not have to absolutely put it to the floor to get ahead. Most times you really don't need to give it that much but with the dog shift into 2nd you can get screwed if you don't just nail it from the start.

And, yes... the height of these trucks nuts. I've never been a fan of lifting trucks but I feel like I now have one. The height of the bed and getting in/out is a lot different than my last truck. I'm 6-4 and have gotten use to it. If I were shorter I could see it being kind of a hassle.... especially reaching into the bed and what not.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the CTD version and it's the best truck I have ever owned, hands down.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
this doesn't make the case of making a 3/4 ton RAM easier to walk away from lol.

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Comparing my 2014 2500 w/ the 6.4L Hemi to my previous truck, a 2003 2500 w/ 5.9L Cummins:

There were some rough places on the road that would make me pucker, knowing it was going to be jarring. I can relax now. It is much smoother

I bought Timbrens for my old truck because my pop-up camper surprisingly made the rear end sag to below level. I could barely tell the height difference when I hooked it up to my new truck.

The 6.4L is strong but the 5.9L Cummins was a tank, I almost never had to downshift when on the highway (I had a manual). The 6.4L downshifts on hills, even what I would consider slight hills. But, then again, they gear automatics so high it is nearly impossible for them to not downshift. I can only assume the 6.7L Cummins holds high gear on most hills but I have not test driven one long enough to know. And maybe if the Hemi was bolted to a manual transmission it would pull up these hills too.

The front suspension on my old truck would dive over speed bumps and bottom out. So di the two trucks I had before it. My new one does the same. I put heavier shock on my old truck (which also made it ride rougher). I might end up doing the same on this one.

I thought my old truck was tall. It was short compared to my new one.

The curved tailgate, when down flat, nearly hits my trailer's wheel jack. I have to watch out for this if I park on land that isn't level or I am going to dent it. My old tailgate was the old flat style and had plenty of clearance.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And maybe if the Hemi was bolted to a manual transmission it would pull up these hills too.

Yes it does, I use the Electronic range select to limit the top gear (similar to manual), and it pulls fine.

edit: but I wouldn't keep it in a high gear if I could anyway, because that isn't where the torque and HP rpms would be.

The curved tailgate, when down flat, nearly hits my trailer's wheel jack. I have to watch out for this if I park on land that isn't level or I am going to dent it. My old tailgate was the old flat style and had plenty of clearance.

I already have a tiny dent in mine from my trailers tongue jack handle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisphase10