2014 Ram 1500 ABS Tone Ring & Parking Brake Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Howdy All...new to the RAM Forums - am familiar with Jeep Commander and Ford Expedition forums however.

Came in for the masterminds - need some advice, and the old man ain't around any longer to provide his oh-so masterful insight that I miss so dearly.

So we got my wife a 2014 Ram 1500 about 9 months ago - we picked and purchased it the day before we moved from Colorado to Kentucky - and I've never had more regrets than I do right now and I have never hated a dealership near as much for their "thorough multi-point" bull-crap garbage inspections.

Anyway - long story short, it was a North Dakota/Nebraska vehicle and the bottom is fairly rusty - I guess that's a large issue on these. figured I would have to replace the control arms over time Rockers have light rust which I will die-grind with a roloc disc and just color match paint this summer (if we go that long with it!), as I missed that when buying it - but my real issue: This morning she drove off to work, had a horrible squeeling like sound from the rear driver tire - I thought it was a pebble in between the rotor and the dust shield as I've had that same type of noise before and we'd just traveled some farm roads picking up the garden box dirt loads. Anyway - I took it apart tonight, and the rust is worse than I thought in there lol, the parking brakes had nothing left on them, and the top spring was riding on top of the wheel hub snagged between the shoes and the hub, the adjuster had fallen and gotten garbled up and melted with another piece - now we don't have an ABS tone ring issue CURRENTLY, but a few of the teeth got a little chewed up - I'm in the mind-set that if I don't need to dump excess money into it since it's still working that I'll avoid it for now, just rebuild the parking brake assembly if I can (It may be too rusty - and so we may just go without until time to trade) - thoughts - like, unless we are getting issues the ring is likely fine as is for now?

I'm savvy with repairs, I just currently don't have a press and the money to dump into a ton of parts on this at the moment, I just did the water pump and thermostat on my 2016 Expedition lol :(...and don't get me started, those bamboozled idiots put both RED AND BLUE loctite on the rear caliper bolts and they were a beast alone to remove on this dodge- haha :)

Generally I'd have no patience and I'd shoot to get that thing completely rebuilt and like new ASAP - but this truck's under condition, and the condition the more I dig into it just deter me...it's got more of the flaky garbage rust than I've ever cared to see the further I dig in :( Next time I'm making them put the vehicle on a lift so I can really get into places and see what's going on...same crap with the Expedition - that pump leak was on there when I bought it, just didn't remove all the skid plates before buying and thoroughly inspect just to get slammed a couple of months later lol.

Anyways - opinions greatly appreciated....sorry to rant and ramble! :0).

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Part number 04779823ab.

It's going to be the easiest way to fight the rust in the parking brake. Will require pulling the axles. Runs about 200 on its own. Dealer will charge 750 to replace.

Will have to pull the axle to do it. But you need a new tone ring any how.

Advance auto carries a new rear abs sensor wire for 25.

Dealers are all about selling and nothing else. And they like when you buy the warranty cause then their shop makes more money from the warranty company when the do the repairs. They told me that upfront when I bought one once. Turned out it was worth it. They replaced my last 4.7 in my 2012.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat