2014 Ram 2500 Caster way off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My 2014 Ram 2500 was all over the road, so I figured from owning Dodge’s before that the ball joints might be worn out. I was correct on the lower two ball joints and I replaced them. Truck was still hard to drive, so I fixed the steering column and it helped a little, but still didn’t resolve the issue. I took it to a shop and they tried adjust the caster bolts as the alignment showed my caster was way off(picture attached). They were unable to adjust the caster at all. The shop told me to take it to a dealership and they might know how to fix it, but I don’t want to take it to a dealer and have them keep replacing parts till it finally resolves the issue. Any suggestions on adjusting the caster to get closer to spec and to keep my truck running straight down the road?

79EFD09E-EA38-4823-8924-DA4C4AD18781.jpeg

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Are your caster arrows both pointed at the same mark or within one mark of each other? Some shops really mess up the alignments on these trucks and they're pretty easy to do yourself if you have the time.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifted/leveled/bigger tires ? That will throw off caster numbers from factory spec.

Seeing the toe pointing to the left on all wheels makes me wonder if the shop actually knows what they are doing. The truck would be dog tracking if that's true and you only see that with shoddily repaired crashed vehicles. Similarly the rear wheels having more camber than the front is not how it's supposed to be, the solid rear axle has no camber designed in but the front has.

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
That much caster makes me think you've got the suspension setup for a Carolina Squat look. Is that what's going on here?

OP
OP
C

CJ33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
BF95F2E7-410D-4E25-AB07-A27B38EAA7AA.jpeg
That is exactly what is going on!

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
your truck looks nice! I see your in Colorado so I'll throw this out there. I had my truck in to All Around Auto Care in Castle Rock earlier this week for an alignment. Tyler, their alignment guy was well informed, drives a Ram himself and showed me what was up with my truck before sending me over to the dealer to let them replace some parts under warranty before he does my alignment. All that at no cost to me. When I go back for the alignment it'll be $99, versus the dealer charging $150 for alignment here in Castle Rock. If your local guy can't adjust caster and you'd like to avoid the dealer, maybe check these guys out.