2014 ram sunroof need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbassrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey first time poster have a 2014 laramie with a sunroof recently it quit working just makes a clunking noise when I try and use and won't leave the vent position if I try and reset with what I've seen online. This causes one side to recess below where it's supposed in the back and and the other side sits above about an inch of where it's supposed to they want alot to fix it I found a video online of another vehicle with sunroof and the guy dropped the from of the liner a bit on var he was working on and pulled the chain and it pulled the window down into place. I'm wondering if this will work on my truck from what I've seen so far it's a pain to drop the headliner but I can't find pictures or videos of what's underneath the headline if there's a sunroof. I'd hate to got through the trouble to drop the headliner and it be of no use. I'm by no means a mechanic and don't have a ton of money just looking to get it closed somehow rather than have plastic and tape over it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It might be helpful to upload a picture or two as your post without a period for most of the dialogue is a bit confusing. I am not sure if the panel is ripped side to side with one being higher than the other (which would be a track problem most likely) or is tipped back high to front low, which would be normal vent-open position and much easier to fix. If it is back to front the fix should be lower headliner enough to manually close it with a ratchet in the motor, believe there is a nut you can manually turn. If tipped side to side you need to take it to a dealer as the whole headliner needs to come out and think that requires windshield removal, but maybe someone has done the removal and can speak to it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey first time poster have a 2014 laramie with a sunroof recently it quit working just makes a clunking noise when I try and use and won't leave the vent position if I try and reset with what I've seen online. This causes one side to recess below where it's supposed in the back and and the other side sits above about an inch of where it's supposed to they want alot to fix it I found a video online of another vehicle with sunroof and the guy dropped the from of the liner a bit on var he was working on and pulled the chain and it pulled the window down into place. I'm wondering if this will work on my truck from what I've seen so far it's a pain to drop the headliner but I can't find pictures or videos of what's underneath the headline if there's a sunroof. I'd hate to got through the trouble to drop the headliner and it be of no use. I'm by no means a mechanic and don't have a ton of money just looking to get it closed somehow rather than have plastic and tape over it.
Here is a video:https://youtu.be/1rya0NG6lhs?si=Fp7l831hm4Q6AOZi

OP
OP
C

cbassrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've watched the video but didn't see and chain or pulley system the video I seen fixing the same issue on another vehicle the guy pulled the belt on the side that wouldn't go down and it just fell into place? What's driving the window back and forth it won't go down on this side and I can't force it down by hand was hoping there's a belt or something to pull it into place

Attachments

• 20240524_111938.jpg
    20240524_111938.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
C

cbassrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It might be helpful to upload a picture or two as your post without a period for most of the dialogue is a bit confusing. I am not sure if the panel is ripped side to side with one being higher than the other (which would be a track problem most likely) or is tipped back high to front low, which would be normal vent-open position and much easier to fix. If it is back to front the fix should be lower headliner enough to manually close it with a ratchet in the motor, believe there is a nut you can manually turn. If tipped side to side you need to take it to a dealer as the whole headliner needs to come out and think that requires windshield removal, but maybe someone has done the removal and can speak to it.
Sorry for the run on post. I left it in vent position overnight. When I woke up and tried closing it,there's a clunking noise. It only cycles the one side from vent to closed. It seems like the drivers side is jammed or something. It looks different than the other. The wind catch piece broke somehow I'm assuming maybe it trying to cycle with this broken is what caused the piece to push out ? Do you think turning that socket on the motor will pull it back into place ?

Attachments

• 20240524_164239.jpg
    20240524_164239.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240524_164243.jpg
    20240524_164243.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240524_164338.jpg
    20240524_164338.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240524_164346.jpg
    20240524_164346.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240524_164359.jpg
    20240524_164359.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 7

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's really hard to tell from the picture, but are those two pieces hitting each other?
1716599909246.png

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes they are seems the be slightly misaligned. I've tried pulling down on it and ive tried pushing down on the window from above and that side doesn't want to move.
If they really are hitting each other at the arrows, then it would seem that's likely the problem. I would focus on that area.
According to your picture of the other side, piece #1 should slide over (on top of) piece #2. Maybe figure out why it's not. Pull #1 out with your finger? Push #1 up? Open it and watch what happens on the side that operates correctly then close it, watching that same side, and try to figure out why that isn't happening on the side that doesn't work properly. That's what I would do.
1716642900943.png

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Removing the sunroof glass may make the repair easier. It's held on by two bolts on each side (the Torx fasteners). Remove the bolts, and the glass lifts right out.

These bolts are also used to aligned the glass with the contour of the roof. You want the front of the glass slightly lower than the rear to reduce wind noise.

OP
OP
C

cbassrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they really are hitting each other at the arrows, then it would seem that's likely the problem. I would focus on that area.
According to your picture of the other side, piece #1 should slide over (on top of) piece #2. Maybe figure out why it's not. Pull #1 out with your finger? Push #1 up? Open it and watch what happens on the side that operates correctly then close it, watching that same side, and try to figure out why that isn't happening on the side that doesn't work properly. That's what I would do.
View attachment 543477
Yes I believe that is the problem I can push the window up and down on that side. I've lifted up so that it should line up but still doesn't move. I'm wondering if maybe I can drop the back of the headliner lose the motor to disengage.then pull the glass out shove everything into closed position and then replace glass and never touch it . But it's supposed to rain today and I don't have anymore of the crash wrap they put on at the auto glass place . So if I try and it doesn't work I could screw myself.

OP
OP
C

cbassrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I figured it out! I had to pull the glass and drop the back of the liner pop the cover off the gear pull the gear out. Then I slide the guide arms into place put the glass back on and pushed it shut. The plastic on the wind catch thing broke and I'm guessing it hanging down pushed the arms out from each other some how. Probably should have toom pictures and posted them since the exact issue and process I had to follow isn't online to my knowledge. But I didn't. So hopefully this helps someone seemed very overwhelming not knowing what I needed to do but worked it out and saved about 4k.