2014 Transmission Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_Crystal_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've been looking around and reading and have come to the conclusion that I don't have the bank for any major HP gains on my truck. With that being said, more HP was a means to an end, the goal was better acceleration. I found another post suggesting new gears in the rear axle (4.56), torque convertor and a tuner would accomplish that, and looking at the prices I think I can get it done.

I'm looking at Moe's Performance, he has 4.56 gears for the 9.25 and 9.25ZF rear end. Multiple torque converters and tuners as well, so my questions are as follows.
  • How do I determine what rear end I have? (2014 ram 1500 sport 4x4)
  • Will replacing the torque converter put any additional stress on other parts of my transmission? If so what else do I need to beef up?
  • What convertor/tuner would you recommend? Do they all pretty much work with each other or do certain tunes go with certain convertors?
Any advice/feed back is greatly appreciated.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So I've been looking around and reading and have come to the conclusion that I don't have the bank for any major HP gains on my truck. With that being said, more HP was a means to an end, the goal was better acceleration. I found another post suggesting new gears in the rear axle (4.56), torque convertor and a tuner would accomplish that, and looking at the prices I think I can get it done.

I'm looking at Moe's Performance, he has 4.56 gears for the 9.25 and 9.25ZF rear end. Multiple torque converters and tuners as well, so my questions are as follows.
  • How do I determine what rear end I have? (2014 ram 1500 sport 4x4)
  • Will replacing the torque converter put any additional stress on other parts of my transmission? If so what else do I need to beef up?
  • What convertor/tuner would you recommend? Do they all pretty much work with each other or do certain tunes go with certain convertors?
Any advice/feed back is greatly appreciated.

What transmission do you have?

You can determine trans rear gear axle ratio by crawling under the truck and looking at the stickers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mopar.com lets you register your VIN and download your window sticker which should have your present gear ratio on it.

Since you have a 4x4 you'll need to replace both front and rear differential gears which can price some people out of doing it. But yes that alone can dramatically improve acceleration and with no real down sides apart from slightly more noise at highway speeds and slightly less highway MPG.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
mopar.com lets you register your VIN and download your window sticker which should have your present gear ratio on it.

Since you have a 4x4 you'll need to replace both front and rear differential gears which can price some people out of doing it. But yes that alone can dramatically improve acceleration and with no real down sides apart from slightly more noise at highway speeds and slightly less highway MPG.

I, still, would like to know what trans he has specifically because i know exactly what the 65RFE needs, etc. If it’s an 8 speed, i’m out. I know exactly 0 about them.

OP
OP
Black_Crystal_Ram

Black_Crystal_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I, still, would like to know what trans he has specifically because i know exactly what the 65RFE needs, etc. If it’s an 8 speed, i’m out. I know exactly 0 about them.

Well crap then, according to Mopar.com I have a 8-Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well crap then, according to Mopar.com I have a 8-Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission.

The 8 speed will handle everything a bolt-on truck will throw at it,you don't have to worry about beefing it,throw a deeper PPE tranny pan on it and call it good. Convertors aren't as big a deal with the 8 speed,as the 8 speed has a stump pulling 4.71:1 first gear which offsets a ****load of issues like a gold plated torque convertor.Don't go any deeper then 3.92's with the 8 speed unless you're running 35" + tires.Instead of worry'ing about gears and convertor,spend your money on long tube headers / a small cam,and a good tune from one of the e-mail tuners out there,like Ryan Hogan of Flying Ryan Performance / Sean Powell of Hemifever Tuning or if you can get ahold of him Jay Greene,but lately Jays been tapering things down and isn't taking on as much tuning as he used to.

OP
OP
Black_Crystal_Ram

Black_Crystal_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moe's has a "DiabloSport Trinity T2 Platinum Tuner w/ Optional Hemifever Custom Tuning 2003-2014 Ram", I'm assuming if I got that with the Hemifever tune that would be good? Still though I'm lost as to whether I have a 9.25 or 9.25ZF rear end? Are they talking about the differential in the center of the axle? Why stop at a 3.92?

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Say he did have 6 speed what would you recommend?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Moe's has a "DiabloSport Trinity T2 Platinum Tuner w/ Optional Hemifever Custom Tuning 2003-2014 Ram", I'm assuming if I got that with the Hemifever tune that would be good? Still though I'm lost as to whether I have a 9.25 or 9.25ZF rear end? Are they talking about the differential in the center of the axle? Why stop at a 3.92?
A 2015 will require an unlocked PCM also

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all the 2010+ 1500s have the 9.25ZF rear axle.

OP
OP
Black_Crystal_Ram

Black_Crystal_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I found this site, https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing that will give you an equipment list of your vehicle if you provide the VIN. According to it, I have a 215MM front axle and a 235MM rear axle with 3.21 rear gears. Not sure if that can help determine what rear axle type of have but I thought I would pass it along in case it helps someone else. I went ahead and got the Diablo T2 tuner with unlocked PCM instead of the gears. Not going to spend money until I know for sure what I need.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So I found this site, https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing that will give you an equipment list of your vehicle if you provide the VIN. According to it, I have a 215MM front axle and a 235MM rear axle with 3.21 rear gears. Not sure if that can help determine what rear axle type of have but I thought I would pass it along in case it helps someone else. I went ahead and got the Diablo T2 tuner with unlocked PCM instead of the gears. Not going to spend money until I know for sure what I need.
With that 8-speed & tune you will not need gears unless you plan on towing.
If you did go with another gear 3.92 would be plenty & that is a simple swap out of the front & rear differentials. Differential from 2013-2018 will work.....not sure about 2019-2020
You could change out the rear gear but go with the factory Mopar gear for less gear noise.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Also make sure the rear has LS vrs open differntial.....open differential only 1 wheel spins.
Might want to go back to site you found & put vin # in to see what you have from factory now.

OP
OP
Black_Crystal_Ram

Black_Crystal_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also make sure the rear has LS vrs open differntial.....open differential only 1 wheel spins.
Might want to go back to site you found & put vin # in to see what you have from factory now.

I went back through the document and didn't see anything related to limited slip or open differential, I'm guessing the only way to know is to take off the differential cover and look?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Say he did have 6 speed what would you recommend?

Firstly would be a 3500 stall torque converter, then a billet valve body with a gasket plate + deep trans pan and since the transmission has to come out already id install a sonnax high capacity OD clutch drum with more room for more clutches to avoid the common OD clutch failure, and once everything is said & done id get a tune for higher line pressure abs to redo shift points.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Firstly would be a 3500 stall torque converter, then a billet valve body with a gasket plate + deep trans pan and since the transmission has to come out already id install a sonnax high capacity OD clutch drum with more room for more clutches to avoid the common OD clutch failure, and once everything is said & done id get a tune for higher line pressure abs to redo shift points.

Appreciate the advise. Sounds like you done this once or twice.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

You have ZF diffs front and rear. It might be hit or miss on whether you can have the tranny tuned on your 14 with a Diablo.Hopefully you have one of the later 14's with the 8 speed,as they appear to be more forgiving to a Diablo tranny tune,then the late 13 and earlier 14 8 speeds are.