2015 1500 5.7 steering and electrical "going haywire" issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2 months ago my electric power steering started to fail intermittently. Last week It failed totally. I went to the dealer in town (on fri 7-20-18) and arranged to have it looked at. They are only open 8- 4:30 m-f. I set a appointment for fri 7-27-18, my next day off to have the steering looked at plus a recall on the cruise control (warranty ran out in March, great!). Last friday before I went to the dealer, I pre washed my truck with my power washer then took it to the best automatic car wash in town to have it really clean (I drive 16 miles of gravel dusty roads 4 days a week and the bed gets full of dirt even under my tonneau cover). I go to the RAM dealer and scheduled my appointment as above. I come out of the dealership, get in my truck and put in the key and turn it to start and the dash lights start going haywire, flashing intermittently and blinking then the starter solenoid kicks in and out but wont start the truck. I turn off the key and try It again and the same thing happens. Freaks me out!! I pulled open the hood and grabbed a 10mm socket from my toolkit and disconnect the neg lead of the battery. I start looking around and wiggling wires and see the big multi connector right behind the battery. I popped the latch with my screwdriver and open it up and a lot of water came from around the connector, I don't know If water was in it or not but I shook both ends of the connector to get any water out that might be in the ends. I reconnected the connector latched the latch, reconnected the neg lead of the battery, tried to start the truck and everything worked great, It's been 4 days and not a glitch, strange, I saw other threads and youtube video of this haywire condition happening to other people. I don't know whether I had water in the connector or reset the issue by pulling the battery connection?
Now to my steering issue, after the above crap happened and no power steering, I went home jacked up my truck and pulled the rack out thinking there could be an issue in the electronics box on the rack. Three bolts 2 nuts and 2 electrical connectors and it's out. The screws on the elec box cover are security type and none of my security bits would fit so I used my mini vise grips to get them out. I Pulled the cover, heavily sealed in rubberized silicone, and checked for burnt or bad solder connections. I found none, very clean layout with lots of room inside. the small wires from the encoder and motor were resoldered and beefed up just in case one had a micro crack. I sealed it put It back together, reinstalled it in the truck and it made no difference, still no power steering. Steering unit made in Taiwan, by the way. So not wanting to miss out on my no interest for 24 months from Ebay, PayPal deal I ordered the brand new OEM rack and pinion assembly from Detroit Axle for nearly $1000, to try to get it fixed sooner. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow 7-25-18. I'll let you know what happens.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Curious too! Good luck with your planned repair.
At first I thought you found water in the plug, and now it works after drying it. Now that would of been a happy ending!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck !
How many miles Sir ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TRANSMITTERGUY

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well It's july 25,2018 7:50 pm and my new electric steering rack and pinion unit arrived an hour ago. Here is the ******, when I started my truck at 5:30 am the steering worked like it should when I backed it out of the garage. I closed the door and drove 20 miles all the way to work and the electric steering was normal. At 4 pm I started it and drove home electric steering working normal. What the hell??? My new steering rack arrives and the steering works normal today after 5 days of driving without it. My truck has 31578 miles on it. I got a new rack ,so ,when I get home tomorrow I'm putting it in. Can't have a thousand dollar part laying around without trying it to see if it fixes the problem. Supposed to drive 4 hours to Delaware this weekend, I hope this is the fix. I'll let ya know.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good luck. Keep us informed.
If there's one thing we all hate it's a bum steer...
Sorry, couldn't resist...

OP
OP
TRANSMITTERGUY

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well It's September 3rd, and here is what happens since July 25th, my last post. That weekend(July 27,28,29) I was taking my truck on a trip to Delaware and since the steering worked ok I decided to go the trip without installing the new steering rack I just received. I had made an appointment to have It looked at by the dealer that friday July 27th but decided to postpone it until the next wednesday, Aug 1st. My wife and I drove to Delaware Friday July 27 and drove all over and came back to central PA on Sunday July 29. The steering worked flawlessly UNTIL we hit outside State College, PA when we hit a big rainstorm. The power steering quit and I drove home tugging and yanking all the way home. Wednesday Aug 1st came and I took It to my RAM service department, they looked It over said there were no error codes for the steering rack but the problem is (here it comes) the steering universal joint unit that connects the steering wheel shaft to the steering rack. HOLEY COW @@%**%#! You know what that means! Here the universal joint was binding up and would intermittently work. As an electronic tech I thought for sure the electronic steering controller went bad, It just had to, there was no other solution, electronic stuff always fail, sooner or later! Well I paid them the $40 diagnostic fee and the had to order the part and would call me when It was In. So I left the service department with my tail between my legs and felt good It wasn't the steering rack that was bad. But I had a brand new one back home waiting to go in. I decided to go back to my garage and soak the steering universal with PB Blaster. It steered normal for a week after that, then the new part came in and was installed and they gave me the old part back. My truck has worked great since the new part install, so I did a Ebay return part call, on the new steering rack I had setting in my garage. The webpage from detroit Axle said there would be a 20% restock charge plus return shipping. They emailed the return label I put it on the box and two weeks ago shipped it back USPS (50 lbs by the way), they received It and gave me full credit, what I paid PayPal. I can't believe It, They are a great company!
So my steering Is now fixed. Now more on the electrical haywire incident. I earlier had removed the negative battery cable and disconnected my computer connectors, blew them out with low pressure air and applied Honda no-ox grease to the connectors, then to the big connector on the pass side of the radiator, then to any other connectors I could get to in the engine compartment. To date I have not had any electrical "Haywire" events in my dash display, thank God cause that really made me freak out. That's my story for know, sorry it's so long, but a lot happened.RAM 2015 STEERING SHAFT.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the update and glad your all fixed up !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This a good ending to what sounded like a nightmare at first, I've been reading about all of these electrical issues and seems a lot of them involve water getting into connectors, so i will be careful as not to drive through big puddles of water in the rain and i am never washing my engine bay.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some good info here, thanks for this. Glad you got everything working normal. Water can certainly create gremlins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca