2015 5.7 hemi high oil temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This chart has 5w20, now 5w20 is very stable, it wont loose temp du to vii's because it doesn't have any, or have very few depending on brand, but you still loose temp the hotter it gets, only a single whammy. So see what temp you are running at and take a ruler and you will see what your oils viscosity is. Operating temp 212f 5w20 is viscosity 9, so as you see it still gets thin as temperature increases.

main-qimg-056baad156d8640bf110df22281020cb.gif

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
My thermostat opens and closes all the time at 203, I bet 180 would make it run cooler, but I'm good as is, suits me personally.

The theory of running bioguard in warmer engine temps is solid, but the fact is there might not be enough base in that additive to actually provide protection from heat degradation when compared to an actual ester based oil is something to consider. For better hot protection you see the best base oil, for better cold protection you see pao cant be beat, but they also help in the heat above "mineral oil" most of us use. Why redline is a popular choice, a combo line 2 and 5 below, so in fact the oil wont break down in the extremes like the group 3 oils we see on the shelf. The hotter or colder you run a vehicle, someone can get more protection by using group 4/5 oils.

View attachment 470449

I used bioguard on my last oil change because ever so often when I do a cold start I get a engine clacking noise for a few seconds.
It almost sounds like the motor is not getting oil to the lifters or something.

It's still does does it with lubguard but not as much. I even changed to 5w30... You have any idea why it does that?

Thanks

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You are right, the lifters are dry. How long has biotech been in? EP additives take time. Was there any difference with lubegard?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When you turn off your truck, the lifters are hot, at least 212f. Just like in a pan, the oil will not stick to that. The only thing that will is EP additives, metal attached to sulfur, IE moly, or metal attached to phos, IE zinc. Will micro lubrication work IE esters, don't really know, it might. But one thing for sure, your random group 3 base oil wont stick on 212f. The question becomes how much additive do you need to stop the tick, or even can you stop the tick. We know most cases you can stop that tick, but not all.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I used bioguard on my last oil because ever so often when I do a cold start I get a engine clacking noise for a few seconds.
It almost sound like the motor is not getting oil to the lifters or something.

It's still done so far. I even changed to 5w30... You have any idea why it does that?

Thanks
That's lifter bleed down. I had that happen 3, maybe 4, times in the 4 years I've owned mine. Every time was when I was working late and I would run out when most others had left for the day to move my truck closer to the door, usually because of chance of rain. So I started my cold truck, absolutely quiet, no tap at all. Drove it to the closer spot & shut it off, about 2 minutes running max. Then hours later when I left it had a few seconds of tapping right after starting until the lifter pumped up. That is the only condition my truck tapped. Other times when I did the same exact thing there was no tapping. There are quite a few mechanics over the years say that's not a problem but it makes you wonder how many times will your lifters & pushrods take a few seconds of severe hammering?????

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are right, the lifters are dry. How long has biotech been in? EP additives take time. Was there any difference with lubegard?

I changed the oil in July so only few months.

I could have sworn one morning I saw blue smoke out of my exhaust. lol
I figured since the Lubegard is blue that's what it was.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's lifter bleed down. I had that happen 3, maybe 4, times in the 4 years I've owned mine. Every time was when I was working late and I would run out when most others had left for the day to move my truck closer to the door, usually because of chance of rain. So I started my cold truck, absolutely quiet, no tap at all. Drove it to the closer spot & shut it off, about 2 minutes running max. Then hours later when I left it had a few seconds of tapping right after starting until the lifter pumped up. That is the only condition my truck tapped. Other times when I did the same exact thing there was no tapping. There are quite a few mechanics over the years say that's not a problem but it makes you wonder how many times will your lifters & pushrods take a few seconds of severe hammering?????

Yeah, it's so random.
I went a couple days without driving my truck thinking it would do it on the cold start. Nope.

Then, the next morning it does it. It's like WTF
I hope it's not damaging anything but man it doesn't sound good, makes me almost want to shut the truck back off.

My old Orange Ram in my sig did it too but very rare. But it also has some a slight lifter tap when warmed up and it also had a lot of miles.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It also comes on Rams with all the towing options. I have it on mine and honestly my temps don't look any different from what others have posted here.
Mine has it and no towing package. Wonder if it became standard after a certain point. Mines a 2017 express. I do have a tow hitch and 4wd but no trailer brake controller.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I changed the oil in July so only few months.

I could have sworn one morning I saw blue smoke out of my exhaust. lol
I figured since the Lubegard is blue that's what it was.
You know the blue smoke isnt really lubegard yes? You could have valve leaking and burning oil, maybe even the cause of the tick. Could be sticky valve, if it is collapsed I'd suspect a CEL. Pay attention for any more blue smoke. Better this then lifters anyhow.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know the blue smoke isnt really lubegard yes? You could have valve leaking and burning oil, maybe even the cause of the tick. Could be sticky valve, if it is collapsed I'd suspect a CEL. Pay attention for any more blue smoke. Better this then lifters anyhow.

Well, that scary.

I have no CEL and I only have 31K..

Guess I won't worry about it too much until the power train warranty is up.
Thanks Burla

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On my 2015, if I drive 1-1/2 blocks to my in-laws house, after being there for an hour or two, it will tick upon restart virtually every time. If I drive for a couple minutes before shutting her down, it does not happen.

It only lasts a few seconds (but seems like forever), and sounds like sh*t, and I cringe whenever it happens. 125k miles on her now, and she has done this throughout the 97k miles I have put on her since I have owned her.

I don't know if there is a magic temperature that has to be reached or what. It is annoying, for sure.

Last edited:

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Hemi usually is at 222 to 226. I think 230 is pretty close, may be calibration of sensor.

jaak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or it's a significant change in temperature and the computer throwing fuel to help start up, then adjusting once the O2 sensors warm up and start reporting to tweak the fuel table. Especially if it happens on the rare occasion. I've had a few of my Hemi's do that.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Or it's a significant change in temperature and the computer throwing fuel to help start up, then adjusting once the O2 sensors warm up and start reporting to tweak the fuel table. Especially if it happens on the rare occasion. I've had a few of my Hemi's do that.
A rich mixture will give black smoke not blue. Blue is oil, black is rich fuel & thick white is antifreeze.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Under sever use, higher octane rated fuel is warranted, towing uphill etc. , turning off AC when ambient temps are extreme in those conditions is merited

Valve train is at the highest risk for damage under extreme operating conditions. Lower coolant temperature thermostats require recalibration of electronic moderation controllers.

Radiator mechanical clutch fan vs or an additional electronically controlled fan is a possible option.

Regarding thermostatic temperature monitoring, default calibration of gauge for sensor is set at 100 not zero.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking in to an oil cooler myself, hit 270-275 oil temp pulling the camper up some hills last weekend.

My '13 runs around 235-243 while towing. However, I have hit some hills where the RPM is a sustained 3k. It gets up to around 250. I use Pennzoil Ultra full synthetic.

I have the 6-speed transmission. That runs cooler. The hottest that has gotten was 170 after long sustained hills at expressway speeds.
Check the “4th Gen DIY” section on the forum.
Longhorn1500 installed a oil cooler on his truck. He recently went on a camping trip and it sounds like he really tested out how good it keeps his oil temps in check.

I also am in need of a oil cooler. I don’t know what Ram was thinking having a 10,000 tow capacity with no oil cooler.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the “4th Gen DIY” section on the forum.
Longhorn1500 installed a oil cooler on his truck. He recently went on a camping trip and it sounds like he really tested out how good it keeps his oil temps in check.

I also am in need of a oil cooler. I don’t know what Ram was thinking having a 10,000 tow capacity with no oil cooler.

Yeah I've been scoping it out, either the predone kit with just the remote filter should help temps some, or the all out high end kit with cooler, but that's hella $$$.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My 11 runs 203 to 210 while towing, I have the 5.7 with the mechanical fan deleted and the v6 fan. 150k miles.

My 6 speed trans with the extended 2 quart aluminum pan keeps the trans at 140 to 150 while towing. Normally without a trailer 130. Highest I've seen since installed was 160 towing the 15,000 ft grade outside Albuquerque. This is a 7x14 tandem trailer with 3, 900 lb Harleys, so total weight about 6k lbs maybe. I have 3.55s in the rear.

If I was you, I would install the extended pan, and redline c+ trans fluid. Mine has been flawless since the change.

I do not have an oil cooler or a remote filter on this truck. My 11 did not come with grill shutters. I am tuned via a Diablo tuner 93 octane tune with MDS deactivated

Last edited:

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 11 runs 203 to 210 while towing, I have the 5.7 with the mechanical fan deleted and the v6 fan. 150k miles.

My 6 speed trans with the extended 2 quart aluminum pan keeps the trans at 140 to 150 while towing. Normally without a trailer 130. Highest I've seen since installed was 160 towing the 15,000 ft grade outside Albuquerque. This is a 7x14 tandem trailer with 3, 900 lb Harleys, so total weight about 6k lbs maybe. I have 3.55s in the rear.

If I was you, I would install the extended pan, and redline c+ trans fluid. Mine has been flawless since the change.

I do not have an oil cooler or a remote filter on this truck. My 11 did not come with grill shutters. I am tuned via a Diablo tuner 93 octane tune with MDS deactivate
I think most of us are talking about engine oil temps, while you seem to be more talking about trans temps.

These are all common knowledge statements, but they need to be said every now and again……
The type of trailer someone is towing will make a difference in temps. If you’re towing a enclosed camping trailer vs a open trailer, the camping trailer will have significantly more wind resistance.
Outside air temps, 65’ vs 100’ will also make a difference in temps.
The weight of the trailer matters. A 6,000lbs vs. 8,500lbs is about 40% heavier.
Combine all 3 and and it’s hard to compare one vehicles temps to another.

My coolant & trans temps are fine when towing. My engine oil temps are not.

dstrohfus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 HEMI and 8 speed transmission. Towing capacity is 10,150 according to the charts for the 3.92 rear end. I purchased a travel trailer under 6000 pounds, so figure with gear I'm likely around 6500 - 7000 pounds. I am running synthetic oil.

I'm also worried about the oil temps while towing in the mountains - steep grades at high elevation. I live in Colorado, so mountain passes regularly surpass 10,000 feet. This weekend I towed through the Eisenhower tunnel (11,000+ ft.) and over Vail Pass (10,600+ ft). I hit oil temps of 264-266 both directions on both passes and was only able to maintain about 40 mph. I also topped 260 on steep grades around 8000 ft. No warning lights alerted me, but I watched the temps and the bar very closely. I was probably 80% up the bar indicator on oil temp. I set my own limit at 266 and kept backing off to ensure I didn't pass that temp. Winding up to higher RPMs made the temps climb quickly. Temps all dropped pretty quickly into the mid 230s after cresting the summits and traveling downhill. Even gearing down for downhills accommodated a rapid temperature drop.

Other posts talked about coolant temp and transmission temp. My coolant temps didn't pass 224, and the transmission temp was just below that.

Other guys in half ton trucks tell me I should still be able to comfortably pull at 65 mph reasonably at these elevations without overly taxing the engine.

I need some suggestions on what to explore with this without having to explore buying an HD vehicle.