2015 Ram 1500 - Trouble hardwiring Viofo A129 dashcam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I attempted to install a Viofo A129 Duo dashcam today. I hardwired the camera through the firewall into the engine bay using the Viofo 3 wire harness. My problem is it won't turn on when trying to use the hardwire. If I plug it in to the usb port it turns on just fine so I know the camera works ok.

I have two fuse taps that I am using, I tried the battery/always on with the fuse for the garage door opener since that has power when the truck is not on and then tried the accessory power with multiple different fuses but go nothing with it. Any recommendations as to which fuses I should be tapping into?

2015 Ram Fuse Box

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I attempted to install a Viofo A129 Duo dashcam today. I hardwired the camera through the firewall into the engine bay using the Viofo 3 wire harness. My problem is it won't turn on when trying to use the hardwire. If I plug it in to the usb port it turns on just fine so I know the camera works ok.

I have two fuse taps that I am using, I tried the battery/always on with the fuse for the garage door opener since that has power when the truck is not on and then tried the accessory power with multiple different fuses but go nothing with it. Any recommendations as to which fuses I should be tapping into?

2015 Ram Fuse Box
Try the fuse for the USB port you are using or the cigar lighter port.

OP
OP
J

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cigar lighter is a 15amp but I'll give the usb port a try

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The cigar lighter is a 15amp but I'll give the usb port a try
Mine is 20. If I understand your setup, the camera won't actually be drawing power from the cigar lighter, it is simply used to signal the camera to turn on and the battery constant 12v does the powering. I may have misunderstood though.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2015 Ram Fuse Box

This sounds very much like you're attempting to perform electrical work on your truck without a multimeter.

If this is the case, I would strongly recommend obtaining an inexpensive multimeter before preceding, it will make your life so much easier.

You will always find endless uses for a multimeter and it will allow you to troubleshoot this issue with great ease as compared to blindly fumbling through this process.

OP
OP
J

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually have this multimeter but I'll be honest and say I have zero idea on how to use it, especially for this.

OP
OP
J

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This sounds very much like you're attempting to perform electrical work on your truck without a multimeter.

If this is the case, I would strongly recommend obtaining an inexpensive multimeter before preceding, it will make your life so much easier.

You will always find endless uses for a multimeter and it will allow you to troubleshoot this issue with great ease as compared to blindly fumbling through this process.

Found a video on youtube and figured out which fuses I needed to be using. Still having issues with the camera turning on and I know the fuses are powered so I've narrowed it down to the hardwire harness must be the issue. Might just take it in somewhere and see what they can do.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Found a video on youtube and figured out which fuses I needed to be using. Still having issues with the camera turning on and I know the fuses are powered so I've narrowed it down to the hardwire harness must be the issue. Might just take it in somewhere and see what they can do.
I'm only guessing but I'm thinking it's a 3 wire power harness, one 12v constant, one 12v ACC and one ground. All three need to be used, the 12v can go straight to the battery but I don't recommend it if it's not individually fused, the ACC will go to a keyed fuse (only on with key) and the ground can go to any suitable ground location (there's a good factory ground right next to the battery).

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I actually have this multimeter but I'll be honest and say I have zero idea on how to use it, especially for this.

Look up some YouTube videos. This is a nice easy project to familiarize yourself on how to use it. While it's not "necessary" for this project, it will let you know if the wires you have chosen to tap into are getting voltage with key off and key on (it can do many other tests but this is about the extent of it for this project). Once you start using it, you'll start using it for lots off things because it will eliminate the guesswork. Mine has saved me loads of money in having someone else fix things (especially appliances).

OP
OP
J

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm only guessing but I'm thinking it's a 3 wire power harness, one 12v constant, one 12v ACC and one ground. All three need to be used, the 12v can go straight to the battery but I don't recommend it if it's not individually fused, the ACC will go to a keyed fuse (only on with key) and the ground can go to any suitable ground location (there's a good factory ground right next to the battery).
Turns out I didn't have it properly grounded, once I got that squared away it worked fine. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turns out I didn't have it properly grounded, once I got that squared away it worked fine. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

A multimeter would help with identifying that condition.

I'll look for a better training video for you tomorrow. That link posted is horrible crap, don't waste your time with it.

Congrats for identifying the problem.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
A multimeter would help with identifying that condition.

I'll look for a better training video for you tomorrow. That link posted is horrible crap, don't waste your time with it.

Congrats for identifying the problem.

I posted that because it was specific to his but here's a good one...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted that because it was specific to his but here's a good one...

Did you review the video quality before posting the first link or just post it because he had the same multimeter?

I was going to suggest the OP watch it but after watching it, I wouldn't ever suggest that to anyone.

This last one is reasonable and covers the basics. A good place to start learning.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you review the video quality before posting the first link or just post it because he had the same multimeter?

I was going to suggest the OP watch it but after watching it, I wouldn't ever suggest that to anyone.

This last one is reasonable and covers the basics. A good place to start learning.

Nope, just like 15 seconds...