2016 1500 Can I tow this trailer to my land ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went on a 300 mile round trip today all highway. Could not believe all the 2500's I saw towing 5th wheels and squatting like crazy. The ones that were squatting had larger tires and wheels. No idea about suspension or engine. Saw a Toyota Tundra towing a huge 5th wheel and squatting pretty bad too
I'm willing to bet most people don't know the wet weight of their trailer or their tongue. We're camping now with some friends. I asked one friend earlier tonight what his payload was for his F-150. He didn't know. His trailer is basically the Jayco version of mine. Same size and floor plan so I'm thinking his weights are similar. They other guy has a 35' bunkhouse but he tows that with a GMC 1ton dually.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We went on a trip to michigan last night. Every travel trailer I was checking every single travel trailer getting towed. Even saw one close to size to mine and towed by Ram 1500. I have to say it looks leveled. Unfortunately the guy was going opposite direction so I didn't see if he used the WDH.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As long as you have working trailer brakes I see no issue as long as you're not bouncing off the bump stops. If the trailer tries to push you around under braking dial up the trailer brakes more and it'll hold you straight. Also test them at low speed to make sure they are working and the plug is in tight. Also if the trailer has been sitting stop part way and retest the brakes and check the wheel hubs for excessive heat. Can always make sure the trailer is empty and even remove stuff like mattresses, couches to make it lighter if you're worried. Can bring them out on a sunny day next trip.Avoid rush hour. Some of us are in a hurry.

Last edited:

old manS RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2011, 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi with 3.92 rear. I tow my custom-built toy hauler with my 16 ft boat inside. My gross combination weight (with full camping load) at the CAT scale is around 14,440 (with full fuel and crew) ± a few pounds depending on odds and ends carried. Using a WDH (no anti-sway) the CAT paper shows Steer Axle 3120 [spec is 3,700]; Drive Axle 4160 [3,900]; Trailer Axle(s) 7160 [10,050] for a total of 14,440 [15,500]. I can shift more weight from the drive axle to the steer axle by tightening up on the WDH chains.

I have pulled on I-95 I-81, and the mountains of I-26 & I-40. I have found that locking in 4th gear even on the flat ( and running about 2,700 to 3,000 RPM) I get better fuel mileage because it does not shift from 5th to 4th trying to ‘catch up’ so often.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Come on guys a one time tow of under 8000# . As long as he has trailer brakes he will be fine but if he was going to be towing it regular i would susgest a WDH and trailer brakes. I have towed close to 10,000 with my 1500 with trailer brakes only and not a problem just use common sense and dont be a speed demon.

Reactions: BWL

Barrie L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Will I be able to do it without the anti sway hitch? Don't want to spend $500 to use it one time only

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t do it, half ton pickup are not made to pull a camper of that length and weight. The tongue weight will be way to heave for the truck. Your steering will be effected. Better to spend the money for the equalizer hitch. Look on Craigs list, Facebook market place you can used ones all the time. Nothing wrong with a used one.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will be fine as long as nothing goes wrong. If it does and DOT gets involved your insurance could void your claim. This is not urban legend it is a fact. Fine print most of us do not read in our policy. Using the vehicle for things it is not intended or built to do.......

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Can you replace a light switch or outlet without disconnecting power - yep
Can you top a tree without a safety harness - yep
Can you grind metal or weld without wearing eye safety equipment - yep

Would I do any of this, just "one time" - nope

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Try your local rental stores for Proper Tow gear much cheaper then buying I rent WDH's and anti sway all the time for $30 - $45 for 24 hours when I need that kind of setup

j_t_l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Without trailer brakes I'd say 30% chance you make it without an accident. No WDH maybe 95% chance you make it without issues if you drive slow. Anything over about 5000lbs or about 27' with no WDH and stabilizer will not be fun at all. I towed my daughters 25' 5000lb trailer with no WDH with my 2013 1500 and stayed at about 55MPH and every time a semi passed me I slowed to about 45 because of the sway. And I have been towing for 35 years. I towed my sons 8000lb trailer with that same truck with a WDH and sway control and it was night and day difference.
And yes, the Excursion is a complete different animal than a 1500. Best bet if you can't get a WDH is to borrow or rent a proper truck from somebody. Even with all my towing experience I wouldn't even try that without a WDH. Listen to those here that have towing experience telling you it isn't smart to do without it properly set up. With a 2500 you may get by without a WDH but no matter what you tow with you will need trailer brakes

This ^^^

I bought a 5000lbs 20' toy hauler with a tongue weight about 850lbs (factory specs said 630...). I brought it 15 miles home with a 1999 F-150. Power was no problem. But seriously -- a SPRINTER VAN passed me on the highway and I was getting blown all over the road. Fortunately no semi's that day.
It was terrifying.

One properly set up WDH/sway control later, cruising down the highway one handed was fine.

Tulet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked into renting the Anti-sway hitch? Might be about $150.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could buy the WDH/anti-sway and sell it used after if renting isn't an option. TT and accessories is a hot market now. I feel terrible if I made it 9/10 of the way home and ended up with a ball of stick and tin on the side of the highway....I'd feel like I should have spent the $500 to get it all the way there.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay big change in my plans. I decided to go out and look for Ram 2500. Don't want to ask friends for favor each time we need to move it. We decided we might use the trailer to travel.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I feel your pain.

I am guessing you are buying used.

My suggestion is look at 2014 and newer if you can. If you can not...well any RAM is a good purchase.

For info...when buying new a 3500 is not much more than a 2500 and well worth the extra cost. But on the used market the gap between a 3500 and 2500 is huge...it is **** the 3500 has no depreciation.

Anxious to hear about your search. I love looking for RAM TRUCKS.

I had 3 must haves...crew cab, 8 foot bed, 6.4l HEMI.
Then the trailer mirrors and trailer brake.

I wanted 4.10...but I had to compromise for the 3.73 and I had wanted clearance lights but didnt get them.

I wish mine wasnt white...but when looking for a 4th Gen 392 Hemi around 20k...white is what you get lol.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I feel your pain.

My suggestion is look at 2014 and newer if you can. If you can not...well any RAM is a good purchase.

For info...when buying new a 3500 is not much more than a 2500 and well worth the extra cost. But on the used market the gap between a 3500 and 2500 is huge...it is **** the 3500 has no depreciation.

I wanted 4.10...but I had to compromise for the 3.73 and I had wanted clearance lights but didnt get them.

I wish mine wasnt white...but when looking for a 4th Gen 392 Hemi around 20k...white is what you get lol.

I can't STAND white. It always looks dirty. I had an '04 F350 dually that was white...even worse, it had the tan interior...puke. But it pulled like an animal, and I had no problems pulling our 42' Cyclone or my in-laws' 42' front-living Pinnacle the one time we borrowed it. If it hadn't been white I'd have had a harder time getting rid of it.

OP, good choice on looking for a new truck since you decided you might use the camper to travel. A 2500 should do you just fine for that size trailer, just make sure you get everything set up right.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel your pain.

That's what I see in the area. 95% of them for sale are white. My wife hates white one. She told me if I can't find any other color we would have to purchase a GMC

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
2500 gasser will be plenty of truck for that trailer. if you go diesel then i would try to go 3500. Payload on a 2500 Cummins is pitiful for such a big truck. A 6.4 2500 will pull that trailer with ease

Bill Knight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No question about pulling, you can pull anything until you either break traction and spin out or just don't have the groceries to pull it. Stopping on other hand maybe a litlle sketchy, hopefully the brakes work on the trailer? Yes of course not to mention you're towing a 35' wind sail, hopefully it's a calm day while you're hauling it. Good luck, power wise you're good to go, you drive a Ram. Braking hopefully you have no issues. As for stability, I guess you'll find out. Be safe out there.