2016 ED ETC warning and random codes possible solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sb5551

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

Haven't been on the forums in a long time since I bought my 2014 hemi. Long story short I sold it, bought a race car, then sold that and bought a 16 eco because I'm not a racecar guy.

I ran into the dreaded electronic throttle control locked in limp mode problem with only 56k miles. Dealer performed a recall and said it was fixed, which we all know how that went. Truck died again with same symptoms three days later. I forget the code number off the top of my head, but accelerator position sensor voltage doesn't match, something about a fuel injector malfunction, invalid torque input, essentially random unrelated codes. I replaced the accelerator pedal and sensor, reset the APP, drove 40 miles and same issues again.

I went down the whole cleaning the EGR system, MAP (Boost pressure) sensor, intake manifold route. Still same issue.

Finally, I mapped the two APP circuits at idle, D circuit read 89% while D/E circuit read 8.2% at idle. I shook every connection I could find and to my surprise in between the battery and fire wall closest to the fender the main wiring harness connector had wires in it that when bumped would change the APP D circuit without any input form the throttle. This was a serious connector, it has a locking lever almost like you're throwing a main breaker on a commercial building. After releasing everything, wiggling it around, and locking it back together, the truck runs great. I had a service electronic brake system light, but that went away when I started driving. This might explain why people get those errors sometime. Everything is fixed. No DTC, no ETC, no limp mode.

Out of all the complaints online, I was only able to find one other person that solved their issue and they found water in the same connection I found the issues in. They apparently bought a flood car unknowingly, but I am starting to think this connection is bad on a lot of our trucks. If you google this issue, replacing the wiring harness fixes the issue sometimes which makes sense, but the preowned powertrain warranty doesn't cover that. People have been replacing turbos, intake manifolds, lemon lawing the trucks, or trading them in for hemi's for years now, and dealers have been accused of throwing parts at the trucks as a fix.

Just trying to document my experience to help other owners out. I still need to go back in and make a permanent solution to the loose connector. I'm thinking zip ties and a good cleaning, but this was a headache and I keep finding lots of ED owners with the same issues.

Sean

OP
OP
S

sb5551

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, I just realized I'm a complete noob on these forums.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. Great first post.